Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daoc?

Options
  • 03-05-2007 11:01pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was chatting to Tusky ingame in LOTRO just now and he mentioned DAOC,its one ive never tried but heard it has pvp to beat all.
    Im still loving wow but LOTRO just doesnt feel right even though i initially enjoyed it,once i hit lvl 20 it has begun to feel clunky,cambat and animation seem out of sync if that makes sence?
    Its hard tio explain but it just doesnt feel as fluid as wow and as great and all as the lotro gfx are i just love the wow look and feel.

Just how good is Dark age of camelot,i know id be a late entry but is it worth looking into ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Apparently WAR will be similar to DAOC so I'm nearly keen on starting it myself for a while, to see how it is.
    I think it was Mythic who were behind DAOC too.
    So if DAOC was/is anyway half decent then WAR truly will be a killing blow to dieing MMO's and might even put WoW in the state that it put other MMOs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I played it for about two years and everything has paled in comparison since. It was absolutely brilliant. the rvr (realm v realm) was the best pvp I have ever see. Since I left there have been loads of updates and also some massive graphical ones too. I would consider getting back into it if I could find it and all the expansions cheap.

The game + all updates is 30 pounds on amazon.co.uk.

[edit] on second thoughts Dcully - You can download the game + first 3 expansions here and you get two weeks free before you have to decide if you want to subscribe.

http://camelot-europe.goa.com/en/index.htm

Want to give it a go ? Im not going to be playing too much LOTR until I can upgrade my pc which wont happen for about a month or so. Heres a video of some rvr http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGlem7I_8fo some of the battles would even by way bigger than that though..and the graphics are much better than they appear in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I felt the same as Tusky, played from beta for about 3 years, fantastic game initially but then they f***ed it with Atlantis.. on saying all that alot of people still play it. A friend of mine is RR12 (23,308,097 + Rps) and still going! I personally think she nuts but their you go.. :)
    everything has paled in comparison since

Thats sums it up for me..

I felt the same as Tusky, played from beta for about 3 years, fantastic game initially but then they f***ed it with Atlantis.. on saying all that alot of people still play it. A friend of mine is RR12 (23,308,097 + Rps) and still going! I personally think she nuts but their you go.. :)

Thats sums it up for me..

Were you 'Avoca' ? Fancy downloading it and playing for two weeks ?

My main was Statix Xitats RR7 Merc Excalibur :) I had alot of Irish Friends playing though, I think towards the end we had 20-30 lvl 50's, one lad had 10 lvl 50s alone, he could powerlevel someone in about 5 days, he use to do it just for gold, was great fun though I really miss it some days.
    Were you 'Avoca' ? Fancy downloading it and playing for two weeks ?

I would but Im taking exams at the moment so trying to stay focused for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I've gotten into it recently, thanks to a friend who had 5 accounts and wanted to get back into it :p

He tels me the population has dropped considerably since he played last. They clustered alot of the servers together, which never used to be necessary what with 2k players per server.

Still, the RvR is just fantastic, especially as a stealther :p

The graphics seem a little off, but I'm reliably told that thats due to the deviousness nature of WoW's graphics.

Since WoW's effects are cartoony, they seem much better than most other games that try to look real.

Anyways, I had the same ideas as most people, I wanted to try it out before Warhammer came out, which will be along the same lines... and now, I'm glad I did :p

Ivan wrote:
    I've gotten into it recently, thanks to a friend who had 5 accounts and wanted to get back into it :p

He tels me the population has dropped considerably since he played last. They clustered alot of the servers together, which never used to be necessary what with 2k players per server.

Still, the RvR is just fantastic, especially as a stealther :p

The graphics seem a little off, but I'm reliably told that thats due to the deviousness nature of WoW's graphics.

Since WoW's effects are cartoony, they seem much better than most other games that try to look real.

Anyways, I had the same ideas as most people, I wanted to try it out before Warhammer came out, which will be along the same lines... and now, I'm glad I did :p

server/name ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

IF you decide to play this brilliant game, i'd advise heading on over to the U.S. servers, as the population there is bloody huge compared to the EU ones. Primetime for them is around 11 pm though so it may cause a problem but i've recently gone back to the " classic " server Gareth, as there's none of the Trials of Atlantis bollox we had to go through on the other servers. Currently playing a Heretic and loving it though :)

I also played on the EU server Excalibur, now renamed Dyvet as part of a cluster :(

As for the game itself, pretty good if you like the PvE grind, excellent if you like PvP { i've only heard of 1 other game which has as much pvp and that's EvE } and the general feeling of contributing to something, namely by killing those damn stealthers and bainshee's / Shamen makes me feel happy :p

Try either the EU or US version, your choice but here on classic cluster the guild i'm in have at least 4-5 total noobs to the game joining us and having a blast so if you do play, good luck to ya and hope you enjoy.

BTW Statix, are jimmy and mark etc still playing or what ? i ain't seen em since i last went to galway...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I must say im tempted.
    I do still enjoy wow immensely,was a wee bit disapointed with lotro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

We're on the US realms also.

Raynae, a Midgard shadowblade on Gareth :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Just a warning to people thinking of playing DAOC -

it can lead to serious health issues like - GF's breaking stuff off your head and things being thrown at you - not to mention the deafness that results from the shouting and screaming.
    I'd settle for a nice game of backgammon or something else if you like the quiet life :D

Just a little warning !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Triangle wrote:
    Just a warning to people thinking of playing DAOC -

it can lead to serious health issues like - GF's breaking stuff off your head and things being thrown at you - not to mention the deafness that results from the shouting and screaming.
    I'd settle for a nice game of backgammon or something else if you like the quiet life :D

Just a little warning !!!!!!!

F**k you McGrady and Statix and Lundar!!! Where have ye been? Im in london now and completely cured of my gaming addiction!! Get in touch soon :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive been playing the trial,didnt like it at all :(

awwh Playboy, you can never be cured you have just pushed it down inside where its festering, waiting to jump out and "whatthefkpwnyou"...

Drop me an email and ill tell you all the news.

Lundar is gone on a Sun holiday for 6 months so I dont think you will hear anything from him!

Advertisement