Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has Triple H become a liability?

• 03-05-2007 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking about this for a while. Raw has produced some very good shows this year with some great matches and it all seemed to kick off following the injury to Triple H.

The Shawn Michaels of 2006 was involved in dumb D-X skits where he often had to play second fiddle to Triple H. The Shawn Michaels of 2007 meanwhile is producing some outstanding performances and looks a good bet for being the wrestler of the year.

It makes me think that Triple H has become a liability to the WWE. Don't get me wrong I think the guy has something to offer the WWE, but I don't feel he needs to be all over the programme which would no doubt be the case if he was still active.

The plan prior to his injury was to have a Triple H/Cena feud. Would it be better than the HBK/Cena feud we have witnessed of late? I don't think so. I haven't missed him one bit.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

hmmm, quite an interesting point.
    But, I always have a saying, "things happen for a reason, if it happens it happens"--in other words it happened and things worked out better for Shawn, maybe it was meant to be for Shawn and not HHH. Where as if it did not happen Shawn would not have known how things would have been.

Maybe in an alternate universe mr nice guy is writing a message saying that the Cena / HHH feud is the best feud he has ever seen.

I know what you are saying and i half agree, but the guy is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

He's my favourite so I really miss him but I see where your coming from.
    The problem with DX was more to do with the McMahon's getting too much screen time imo!

I would like to see HHH out of DX and in a good fued but not for the Title.
    Maybe with Orton or Edge?

I'm afraid tho that Paul "McMahon" will always be monopolising (sp?) the show because of who he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I don't think he is a liability. I'd rather have him than be without him, if ya get me. He is a great addition to the roster, but I agree that we prob wouldn't have had some of the great wrestling we've had this year.

As for Triple H being all over RAW, I think Triple H will always be all over RAW, but if it was bad for business, Triple H would be the first to say, look I'm overexposed, put someone else on TV. You might not agree, but I think he would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Minto wrote:
    As for Triple H being all over RAW, I think Triple H will always be all over RAW, but if it was bad for business, Triple H would be the first to say, look I'm overexposed, put someone else on TV. You might not agree, but I think he would.

Well you're right in the sense that he did do that for a good while when he feuded with Big Show and took himself out of the title hunt.

At other times however he's been willing to enter himself back into the title hunt quite unfairly. Don't forget Edge's first impressive title run was cut short because Triple H wanted Cena at Wrestlemania 22. And he was all over our screens with the D-X stuff.

I just fear that when he returns it will be like his song says, "all about the Game".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

He's not a liability. He's an over used asset and has been for about 5 years.

When he was injured in 2001, I couldn't wait for him to come back. I was itching for it to happen. Today, I'm kinda apathetic about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I'm the same, I dont really miss him as in the show hasnt suffered without him, and who knows what'll happen when he returns. A few people have stepped up in his abscence like Umaga and Edge and i'll be interested to (hopefully) see feuds with them when he returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There is heat between himself and Mick Foley. Maybe something will happen between them in the future. I'd like to see him feud with Khali when he returns;)
    This will really test his ability to make his opponent look good in the ring.
    Seriously, though, I see a possible feud with Orton happening when he returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

A liability? Not a chance, An overused asset, i'd have said yes if it was 2003 but lately no seeing as Cena has been at the start and the end of most RAWs during the majority of last year, even during the DX return.

Do i think WWE will be about HHH overexposure. No, i actually don't, given the fact that he has parental duties, and now both quads are blown out, i think he'll start to wind down.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

What's the heat with mick foley.

I wouldn't say Triple H is a liability. He is prone to over exposure, but , I would also say he is consitently one of the best performers on the raw brand. Because of the character he was playing it was absolutely necessary for him to either be carrying gold, or chasing the gold.

I'm looking forward to him coming back, as it will have a big impact. Would love to see him go to smackdown too.

He won't do SD!, Go from a live enviornment to a taped one? Not a chance.
    Unless HBK goes with him, but other than that, it will be RAW, his home since July 02 after being drafted from SD!

VR!

• Advertisement

When was the last time he had a great match though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

HHH could never be considered a liability. He's a fantastic wrestler and can generate heat in seconds if he wants. Just cause Cena had one good match doesn't mean Hunter's a liability. After all, if he had an hour long match with HBK, I know who's money mine'd be on for a better match. Also if he was around, Khali wouldn't be getting a title shot

Quite frankly, i was enjoying that tag match at NYR before he blew his quad :(
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

When was the last time he had a great match though?

That's what I was saying in another thread. I can't remember. I can't think of any from last year anyway. That tag match at NYR only really got exciting once Shawn turned it up a notch after HHH had injured himself. And it's not as if HHH has had a lack of great matches in his career, just the last year and a half/two years

To a degree, I think HHH is a liability. It's the fact that he has a say in creative, and maybe if he wasn't involved in all that then he wouldn't be so overexposed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Fozzy wrote:
    I can't think of any from last year anyway.

I think basically DX was a chance for both of them to take almost a break while wrestling. They basically spent the whole time squashing the Spirit Squad and being in skits with the McMahons.

I'd be also inclined to agree with Vince135792003 here, before the DX stuff, HHH had an amazing program with Flair as well.

And besdies, it's not always about having great matches, if it was Raven, Sandman, Cena and Umaga wouldn't still be in the business.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

But HHH has had great matches in the past and he seems to have dropped off in the last year or so. If that's a fact, then it would be harder to argue for him to still be all over Raw as much as he was when he was putting on good matches

Fozzy wrote:
    But HHH has had great matches in the past and he seems to have dropped off in the last year or so. If that's a fact, then it would be harder to argue for him to still be all over Raw as much as he was when he was putting on good matches

True, but it wouldn't be the first time this happened. He wasn't exactly at the height of his career before his quad tear in 2001. That didn't stop him from coming back and having class matches again.

Cena has one good match in his entire run on RAW without being the usual four move wonder that he normaly is. All of a sudden HHH is a "liability" and doesn't have what it takes anymore to have good matches? Come on! :)

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭kentonbomb

Got to Disagree with you there MNG, RAW needs Triple H, don't get me wrong we have seen some great matches in the past weeks without Triple H for example the Edge/Orton match last Week and the Cena/HBK match from 2 Weeks ago but i am kinda sick of HBK always fighting Cena actually i'm Sick of cena being champ, I like HHH and Raw needs him

Cena has one good match in his entire run on RAW without being the usual four move wonder that he normaly is. All of a sudden HHH is a "liability" and doesn't have what it takes anymore to have good matches? Come on! :)

VR!

By my count Cena's up to three good matches. Ironically, I think Triple H's last good match was against Cena at WM22. I don't know why that is. Maybe he's more comfortable as a heel.

When he returns I expect Raw will be all about him. Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

By my count Cena's up to three good matches. Ironically, I think Triple H's last good match was against Cena at WM22. I don't know why that is. Maybe he's more comfortable as a heel.
    Maybe its because its the last time he had a singles match?

True, but it wouldn't be the first time this happened. He wasn't exactly at the height of his career before his quad tear in 2001. That didn't stop him from coming back and having class matches again.

Awww how untrue was this. Triple H was horrible for a long time when he came back after his first Tear. He bulked up so much he couldnt move. He was slow and awkward and he even realised this himself. It took a long long time for him to get back to normal. "He only started coming good again after the "Triple H is Fat years"

Bullsh*t Dre, but i'm sorry, he had great matches with Jericho, sadly the Mania match was overshadowed by Rock v Hogan, and the hell in the cell match later was good as well, apart from Tim White getting injured.

He had a great anything goes match with Michaels at Summerslam 02 and before people say "but thats his buddy", thats not exactly relevant. The fact is he still had great matches after his return. And again at Armageddon 02 with the 3 stages of hell.

Now... lets look at his 2003 program, we have Scott Steiner, hardly good working material, and HHH & Booker T just didn't have it in the ring. Then we have Kevin "uh oh, phone call, INJURY!! 12 MONTH REHAB" Nash, and Goldberg. If HHH had bad matches for the first half of that year, it was more down to the fact that he had f*ck all to work with as opposed to just coming back from injury!

VR!

Now... lets look at his 2003 program, we have Scott Steiner, hardly good working material, and HHH & Booker T just didn't have it in the ring. Then we have Kevin "uh oh, phone call, INJURY!! 12 MONTH REHAB" Nash, and Goldberg. If HHH had bad matches for the first half of that year, it was more down to the fact that he had f*ck all to work with as opposed to just coming back from injury!

Wouldn't a truly great wrestler, ie Shawn Michaels, have managed to get good matches out of these limited wrestlers?

Probably, but a heel Michaels at that time just wasn't gonna work.
    VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

I think HHH has a few good matches left in him still. Maybe even a title run. The last year may not have been his best year but when he is good he is good.

The Flair, Batista, Big Show, Cena rivalries where great and they weren't that long ago.

He's still a great wrestler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It looks like Triple H will be Feuding with Randy Orton when he gets back. I presume this means Triple H will be the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

HHH and the DX angle are the main reason people are complaining about him now...For months it was DX they either put one over on the McMahons or get beat down then HHH would pull the Sledgehammer and all would be well with the world.....Got a bit boring.......If he comes back on his own out of the DX angle than he might come good again.....When hes on form he could more or less carry the show by himself plus with michaels there friend or not they are both greats who coul d potentially carry RAW for 3 or 4 PPV's be themselves.

Cena should Lose the title

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

ar ye mad?? Triple H is wreslting!! its noting without him...... i think the cena HBK thing is as boring as hell cause cena is always going to win. HBK just took Triple H's title matches. cant wait for Triple H to come back as a heel and go back on his throne taking the title off cena for god sake he is fighting khali now and i bet he will win!! long live the king of kings

• Advertisement

Jmac24128 wrote:
    ar ye mad?? Triple H is wreslting!! its noting without him......

Actually it's been a lot better Hithout him. Had he stayed around, Wrestlemania's main event would have been a repeat of last year's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

^^that hulk hogan interview on the "screwjob" is hilarious!!!!!
    Shawn michaels pinned bret hart at wrestlemania 16:rolleyes:

Actually it's been a lot better Hithout him. Had he stayed around, Wrestlemania's main event would have been a repeat of last year's.

Raw's being good for a few months without him....but even at that it hasn't improved that much that i'd say never bring him back......Lets face it HHH is one of the best and most respected entertainers in WWE but people come on and complain he's been given too much time when the reality is there was no one else to...occupy that time with.....Cena's boring....Edge is good but dosen't have the star factor to hold the spotlight for so long on his own and orton just annoys me i think he's highly overrated.....HBK can but there not giving it to him...so calm down on givin out about the game....because he is that damn good and most wrestlers agree with that

ec18 wrote:
    Raw's being good for a few months without him....but even at that it hasn't improved that much that i'd say never bring him back......Lets face it HHH is one of the best and most respected entertainers in WWE but people come on and complain he's been given too much time when the reality is there was no one else to...occupy that time with.....Cena's boring....Edge is good but dosen't have the star factor to hold the spotlight for so long on his own and orton just annoys me i think he's highly overrated.....HBK can but there not giving it to him...so calm down on givin out about the game....because he is that damn good and most wrestlers agree with that

Cena might be a lot of things but boring isn't one of them. Everyone reacts to the guy when he wrestles. In my view Edge has plenty of star factor. I'd agree with you on Orton.

As for wrestlers agreeing he is that damn good...no one can criticise him in public due to his power. In private I bet they're sick of him hogging the limelight. Most who leave the WWE seem to criticise him - Christian, Angle, Steiner to name but a few.

What I meant by Cena's boring is that he has held the title for too long and all the title feuds have become boring and predictable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

ec18 wrote:
    What I meant by Cena's boring is that he has held the title for too long and all the title feuds have become boring and predictable

I agree about his title matches becoming predictable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement