Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kittens we don't want

Options
  • 03-05-2007 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

What's the most humane way to "put down" kittens. One of our cats is about to have kittens and we already have too many cats.
    There's no way I'll be able to give them away as pets because they are not tame. I'm not going to drown them as that is unspeakably cruel.
    Can I get something from the vet or do I have to bring them there to have it done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Think about getting all your cats spayed, is a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

What a horrible thread to come across on a friday morning!

Sorry Lukin, no idea. Please don't take it into your own hands though! And what golden said, if you've too many cats, get them spayed!!!

I don't know much about cats, but when they're weaned, can you not domesticate them by handling them etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridget.laitly

Glowing wrote:
    What a horrible thread to come across on a friday morning!

Absolutely agreed, especially because we've been looking for kittens for our home!

Lukin, it's heart breaking to hear they won't have a fair shot- is the mother feral? You can acclimate the kittens by handling them regularly (but gently) and re-homing them at around 4 weeks.

I can assure you that you will absolutely be able to find homes for them- and if you have any doubts about it talk to the Dublin SPCA and ask how many calls they get for kittens!

If your mind is made up please call the SPCA to discuss humane options and they will do their utmost to help you.

...and SPAY your cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

If the mother can be given a place to have the kittens in (food and water nearby will make her more amenable), then you should be able to handle the kittens and tame them. Been there, done that, and it's not hard.

There are plenty of people out there looking for kittens.

And the mother... she really should be speyed.

These guys might be able to advise: http://kittenadoption.proboards80.com/index.cgi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

get you cat spayed if you do not want her to have kittens.
    Its your fault she has had kittens because you did not get her spayed before this.
    Please don't KILL these kittens just because you think you have to many cats already contact DSPCA or your vet or a local pet shop or animal shelter who will try to find suitable homes for them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Op banned--Im not in the mood for threads like this.

No discussing animal cruelty of any kind whether it be of the "humane" kind or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Our cat has recently had kittens too. We thought she was spayed cos the shelter told us she had been, but obviously not. It shouldn't be too hard to find homes for them when they're about two months old. We've a good home found for one of ours already. Spread the word that you have them and you'll be surprised how many people will come forward saying they've been keeping an eye out for one. Failing that, bring them to the nearest shelter and see if they can help re-home them.

Like everyone else has told you; get her spayed. If you have Tom cats get them neutered too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Here is the apology from Lukin as per a PM I just received.As you can see Ive offered to take the kittens and try find homes for them-if anyone else wants to help please do.

lukin wrote:
    Sorry I posted that thread about the kittens I wanted to get rid of, I didn't know it would cause offence.
    However it's a fact of life that cats breed too much and if you don't get the mother of the kittens neutered in time this is the only way to control it.
    Because I'm banned I can't reply to the people who've posted to explain so they probably think I am some kind of barbaric animal-killer. I am not happy about that because nothing could be further from the truth.
    I spend a lot of my hard-earned cash on food for my dog, my sister's dog and the cats that live on my parents farm.
    I am going to get the mother of the kittens in question neutered;I would have it done before now but they are not my responsibilty, I only knew she was having kittens when it was too late as I am only home every weekend.
    It actually breaks my heart to have them put down but I am going to a good vet who I know will do it painlessly.
    Apologies again for any offence called.

My reply:
    Look even in your apology youre still wanting to kill these INNOCENT animals.If you dont want to sound like what Ive highlighted above then do the right thing and hand the kittens over to an animal shelter.
    Even Id gladly take them off you to try and find homes.

Does this sound like a "heartfelt" apology to any of you lot??
    My bloods boiling over this thread.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Fair play

KittenAdoption (http://kittenadoption.proboards80.com/index.cgi) have a subsidised neutering scheme which can see the job done for EUR20, so I'd recommend Lukin talks with them.

Hillcrest Vetinery Practice in Coolmine, Blanchardstown (Tel. 01-821-3868) have a number of clients looking for kittens, so you could ask there for help re-homing them.

If we can sort out some details & photos, I can put some notices up in Microsoft - there tend to be people now and then looking for kittens here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

If they are young then they can be tamed give them to the Ispca just hand them over you dont have to don anything else dont kill them it is not necessary really it is not. They will look after even wild cats.
    PLEASE GIVE THEM TO THE ISPCA.

Bring them to the animal welfare center they will decide on the basis of their health what they will do. They may even collect them. And when they take them you dont have to do anything.

PLEASE JUST BRING THEM TO THE ISPCA THEY WILL DO THE RIGHT THING!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I`m sorry but why was the OP banned?. If the kittens tested positive for feline aids they would have to be put down.

granted the op could have phrased their post better.

For god sake when an animal is put down by a vet (which the op was going to do) they don`t feel a thing. I thought this was animal/pet issues not over sentimental fluffy wuffy issues. Ban me if you may but it will just confirm my post, that this forum can be far too quick to judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I know the OP has been banned - but I would like to say that the kitten can be tamed easily enough - allow the mother access to a shed with a box & plenty of food & water she will hopefully have the kittens here - handle them as often as possible from a week old & then at 8 weeks take mum to the vet to be spayed & take the kittens & rehome them I am sure a shelter or rescue can & will help you find new homes for the kittens.

If you really do not want the cat to have kittens some vets will spay the mother & put the kittens down now. Not a nice option but sometimes it has to be done.

Ive given the OP access to the forum again so that they can see that there really is no point in killing these animals.

So far I reckon that I have homes for the whole litter if it comes to it.
    Richie

I`m sorry but why was the OP banned?. If the kittens tested positive for feline aids they would have to be put down.

granted the op could have phrased their post better.

For god sake when an animal is put down by a vet (which the op was going to do) they don`t feel a thing. I thought this was animal/pet issues not over sentimental fluffy wuffy issues. Ban me if you may but it will just confirm my post, that this forum can be far too quick to judge.

Feline aids is a different matter than the OP posted about--he wants to kill kittens that may or may not have any problems.
    If they had posted that the kittens did have feline aids I would be the first to recommend euthanasia.

Im sorry you dont like the fluffy wuffy nature of the way we mod this forum but I will not tolerate issues of animal cruelty here regardless of how "humane" its supposed to be--theres enough of that in other fora on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Hellrazer wrote:
    Feline aids is a different matter than the OP posted about--he wants to kill kittens that may or may not have any problems.
    If they had posted that the kittens did have feline aids I would be the first to recommend euthanasia.

Im sorry you dont like the fluffy wuffy nature of the way we mod this forum but I will not tolerate issues of animal cruelty here regardless of how "humane" its supposed to be--theres enough of that in other fora on boards.
    I don't see any evidence of cruelty, the only evidence I see is a mod with no sense of reality or perspective.

The thread is relevant to the forum, is not crossing any legal boundaries and is morally ambiguous. This type of modding to your own personal whims rather than to the benefit of the forum is rather juvenile and egocentric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

My cat was wild as a kitten, its a perfect house cat now in fact it never leaves the house.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I don't see any evidence of cruelty, the only evidence I see is a mod with no sense of reality or perspective.

The thread is relevant to the forum, is not crossing any legal boundaries and is morally ambiguous. This type of modding to your own personal whims rather than to the benefit of the forum is rather juvenile and egocentric.

So you dont find it cruel that the ops first post starts with
    What's the most humane way to "put down" kittens. One of our cats is about to have kittens and we already have too many cats.

I find the above quite cruel.Id say the op wanting to put down his cats because he has too many is more of a "personal whim" and more "juvenile" than what Im trying to do.

Ok so the thread is relevant to the forum--Agreed.
    I may have been quick to judge the ops first post harshly.
    And yes maybe if it was "phrased" differently I would have let it go.

If you`ve a problem with the way I mod put it in feedback.Ive stated from the very first day I started modding this forum that I wont tolerate any animal cruelty and I stick by that.

Richie

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

Your reaction to the way a mod has judged this thread is a tad hard in my opinion! Richie & I have both seen our fair share of animal cruelty & the OPs post did sound a touch harsh. As Richie has stated he has un-banned the OP so she can comment. This should be the end of the matter as regards to what US mods do to create a happy environment on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

After reading the OP's PM they sound a bit better. But nobody has mentioned yet, even if the kittens got the most humane death possible, what about the poor mother? It's horribly cruel to take her kittens away from her when she's only just had them. Fair enough they may need to be rehomed at 8 weeks, but that is a different matter, mammy knows they don't need her as much then and is probably worn out by then anyway. But to take her kittens from her when they're only just born- Cats aren't stupid and they do have feelings.

OP- How would you feel if you had a baby and it was just taken from you? I know some people will think I'm being over-sensitive here or whatever but I am only putting another side to things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

OK everyone you put me on a guilt trip, I had second thoughts and decided to ask around if anyone wants them, I'm sure I'll get someone to take them,
    I'll put up ads in supermarkets and other other places.
    Thanks to Hellrazer who offered to take them off my hands (and for un-banning me) and also thanks to those who stuck up for me and wondered why I was banned.
    I still think it's a bit ridiculous to get upset by something that we know happens all the time; animals being put down by their owners.
    As far as I know even animal shelters do it when they run out of space.
    Soemtimes it's a sensible course of action when there isn't someone to look after the animal in question.
    Some people's definition of "animal cruelty" is different to others.

• Advertisement

I know people are killed everyday - that still upsets me!
    I know kids are abused everyday - that always upsets me!
    I know people abuse animals everyday - that really upsets me!

So I am not surprised that people (including myself) are upset at the thought of kittens being put to sleep! As Nala stated this is cruel for the mother as well as the kittens! The cruelest thing I can think of at the moment are people who do not spay & neuture their pets! Tis easy to "get rid of the babies" Tis not the answer tho!

Hellraiser said he would take any kittens that needed a home! I have taken in feral kittens before & they tame down lovely!

So I am sorry you feel we have been a tad hard on you! Please make sure the poor mother is spayed once the kittens are 8 weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

lukin wrote:

QUOTE]

This gets to the whole crux of the problem. Have you ever thought WHY the shelters are full to bursting point ?
    Because people wont take responsibility for their pets by getting them spayed or neutered. The problem could be solved in a short time if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

lukin wrote:
    I still think it's a bit ridiculous to get upset by something that we know happens all the time; animals being put down by their owners.
    That makes it alright then does it ?
    Tbh if I was a moderator here I'd have banned you again just for that ridiculous statement.

lukin wrote:
    OK everyone you put me on a guilt trip, I had second thoughts and decided to ask around if anyone wants them, I'm sure I'll get someone to take them,
    I'll put up ads in supermarkets and other other places.
    Thanks to Hellrazer who offered to take them off my hands (and for un-banning me) and also thanks to those who stuck up for me and wondered why I was banned.
    Soemtimes it's a sensible course of action when there isn't someone to look after the animal in question.

Lukin--Thanks for making the right decision.And I apologise for being so harsh at the beginning of this thread.
    My offer still stands if you have any problems at all finding homes for them.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

At least this forum has helped to change one person's mind about killing kittens. And regardless of whether it happens all the time, it doesn't make it right. In light of the prevalent attitude towards cats, the OP actually shows some regard for the kittens, albeit misguided from most people in this forum's point of view.
    Anyway, I am glad that you decided to give the kittens a chance, and please see that the mum is spayed after the kittens are weaned. Then you won't have to deal with this problem in future - and mummy cat will be much happier too.

Welcome back Lukin,

So why is putting kittens down by euthanesia considered cruel?, what would you deem a "humane" way of putting an animal down.

Welcome back Lukin,

So why is putting kittens down by euthanesia considered cruel?, what would you deem a "humane" way of putting an animal down.

Im dont consider euthanasia cruel,what I consider cruel is killing kittens because they have too many.Thats what got me annoyed.

How about you make a new thread about euthanasia and I promise I wont lock it or ban anyone if it stays on topic--It could make for a good debate.

Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kyra

lukin wrote:
    There's no way I'll be able to give them away as pets because they are not tame. I'm not going to drown them as that is unspeakably cruel.
    Can I get something from the vet or do I have to bring them there to have it done?

why dont you get your cat spayed ???
    what kind of insensitive owner you are ??
    my cat got pregnant at the age of six months (we hadnt got her spayed yet as we wrongly thougth she was way too young for that). we let her have the kittens and when they reached the age of 8 weeks, we handed them to people who were looking for one. Oh and i want to clarify that in my house there were already 4 cats and three dogs at that time....so no you have no excuses whatsoever! If the cat is yours, it is your responsibility to get her spayed. I honestly think all your pets should be taken into care !
    why dont you contact Jan at kitten adoption ? she should be able to help.
    good luck

Kyra, pot calling kettle black?.

The issue has been resolved, no point in posting to give your self a higher moral grounding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Yes, the issue has been resolved, I'd say I'll have no problems getting homes for them. In response to those who question why the cat wasn't spayed, this may come as a surprise to you but some people happen to live busy lives and it's not easy to find the time to do these things.
    One question though; according to the mod of this board, "doing away" with animals is not acceptable under any circumstances.
    At the same time said mod encourages people to take stray animals they find to shelters. As I have previously stated, shelters put down animals all the time so is there not a slight double-standard here?
    I get banned for saying I am going to put down kittens but it's OK for those in charge of shelters to do it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement