Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to lay off?

Options
  • 04-05-2007 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Ok lads, so i have €50 @ 33/1 (took them when they drew Barcelona!)on Liverpool to win the Champions league - yesterdays performance by milan has got me on edge a bit, so i am thinking of covering the bet. What yis reckon, anybody any ideas on laying off such a bet so one is guaranteed a nice return

cheerrs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Just back Milan to win the european cup. Best odds our on betfair for them probaly. Currently 1.80. You stand to win €1,650 so just back milan for whatever amount you want.

Sticking €900 euro will have you come out with roughly the same amount no mattr what the outcome. Up to yourself if you want it all on AC or liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

I'll take that bet off your hands for €50 :D

Paddy Power have AC Milan to win the cup at 1.80 aswell, and you dont have to pay any betfair commission or whatever it is.

€50 @ 33/1 = €1650
    €900 @ 1.80 = €1650
    = €700 profit, no matter what the outcome, well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

empirix wrote:
    Ok lads, so i have €50 @ 33/1 (took them when they drew Barcelona!)on Liverpool to win the Champions league - yesterdays performance by milan has got me on edge a bit, so i am thinking of covering the bet. What yis reckon, anybody any ideas on laying off such a bet so one is guaranteed a nice return

cheerrs

You could also completely reverse your position and put 1700 on Milan, dumping your Liverpool bet altogether, but guaranteed not to lose overall.

If Milan win, you get 1360 winnings.

If Liverpool win, collect your original 50 bet @ 33/1 for money back only.

Just a thought. Do you still fancy Liverpool to win it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

I have decided to go for it and let it all ride on the pool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Yikes! good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

empirix wrote:
    I have decided to go for it and let it all ride on the pool!

i would lay it off - no doubt you are a liverpool supporter and your own personal viewing of liverpool gets in the way.

It may also be tough perchaps for you to lodge €900 into an account just for this. But u have winning cards in front of you - i know all you stand to lose is your original €50 if you let it ride but a no risk €700 sounds much better!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

It completely depends on his financial circumstances, though Liverpool fans tend to be poor...not to mention stupid :)

I'll tell you what my philosophy would be and it is based on utility, if you're a Liverpool fan (yet to be determined, but who backs Liverpool if they are not a fan right?) and the jammy scouse scum lucksack their way to another Euro Cup then you are going to be very happy, I'd estimate this much:
    <
    >

Joy, being a rather uniform experience, is subject to the law of diminishing marginal utility so although in normal circumstances winning €1650 might make you this much happy:
    <
    >
    It's additive effect on the undeserved 'pool discraceful win will be less, I'd say about:
    <
    > (although it's hard to be precise without a happyometer)

Now Liverpool lose due to Kaka making everyone realise that Mr reliable Carragher is actually just a slow, humping, dim witted plodder then you will be this unhappy (Liverpool fans often have nothing else in their lives):
    <
    >
    And losing the bet and realising you could have had a safe €700 but didn't because you are a Liverpool fan and thus not very bright will make you this unhappy:
    <
    >
    Misery unfortunetly does not diminish marginally to the same extent as joy so you will be this unhappy:
    <

>

So the clear best course of action is to lay off the money so that the unhappiness of Liverpool losing will be offest by the happiness of winning €700.

***Brought to you by Hotspur's patented gambling happiness system***
    Now with easy to understand visual graphs for Liverpool fans!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭iwincosimcool

you reminded me of keane and berbatov, their good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

tell me you layed it off

Advertisement