Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webhosting Control Panel

Options
  • 04-05-2007 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a free hosting control panel (similar to cPanel or HSphere).
    It is for a non-profit community that provides free hosting using servers hosted by community members on their home internet connections.

We have 3 servers at present, two of them are Virtual Private Servers running Debian Sarge, and one is an old desktop running Debian Etch. I want to upgrade all three to the latest release of Etch for security, but it will depend on how easily that can be made to operate with Xen.

We were using Virtual Hosting Control Panel, but that software will not install on or work well with Etch, and I would prefer to use something better, at least until VHCS v3 is released. Since we dont sell hosting, and what we have is effectively donated to us, we dont have the income to pay the rather large costs for most of the professional systems.

Anyone here recommend a system, other then VHCS and ISPConfig which can be easily setup on Debian 4.0 (Etch)?

Edit: I tried Google, but I didnt find anything useful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

You could try a 'cheap' one as opposed to free - most of the free ones aren't up to much - take a look at CP+ from www.psoft.net (the makers of hsphere) or Hsphere Single Server Edition (SSE) which is all the bells and whistles of hsphere, but without the per account license costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Thanks for that. We went with VHCS originally because it was free, and out of the free CP's that I had tried, it was the best of the bunch. It is used a lot by some hosting companies for VPS's but it's incompatibility with newer versions of Debian are causing problems for us, and I can see other hosting companies either patching the software (which seems to work well) or just switching to a better system.

I had considered cPanel, but they charge an excessive amount, and I have not yet contacted them about lower-prices for use, seeing as we are non-profit, but I will wait for v11 to turn stable before I consider it. I also considered Plesk, but I do not believe they offer a non-profit licence.
    I will contact both those companies, just for consistancy and see what they can do for us.

I will also look into CP+, but what ever system we look into, I would prefer to buy an outright copy rather then leasing it. From what I read on their website, HSphere SSE, and CP+ are both available on a lease only.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

http://www.directadmin.com - commercial but not as expensive as the others

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Good choice would be GNU Hosting Helper (http://www.hostingsoftware.net/).

Has some really nice features in it including a fully integrated billing system if you need that later on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Forgot that one, we actually sponsor it too (D'oh)

• Advertisement
Advertisement