Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erikson's Malazan stuff....upcoming releases

• 04-05-2007 8:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

OK...

so fans of this probably know damn well that the next book (Reaper's Gale) is due out next week.

While I was checking this though, I just happened to notice that "Night of Knives" by Ian Cameron Esselmont is also being (re)released on the same date.

For those who don't know, SE and ICE created the world together, and there was aways the intention that both would write books on it. Up to now, NoK was only available on limited release (which I was lucky enough to finally get a copy of).

Its a short-ish book, and the style is different to SE's, but its good reading and fills in some interesting background. Apparently, ICE will be writing a number of books (6, I think, to SE's 10) which seem to be generally filling in back-story.

Night of Knives is set over a single night, on Malaz Island, the night that Surly assumed the throne (and took the name Lasseen).

I had a couple of "ah-hah!" moments reading it. Then I re-read all of SE's books (preparing for Reaper's Gale) and had several more.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I think there's 5 in total in ICE's series? It focuses on the Crimson Guard apparently. Haven't read it myself but am awaiting the cheaper re-issue of the original low-print run.
    However, Amazon is reporting a June publishing date - one month after "Reaper's Gale", which in some ways would be a good thing. Where did you hear May?

Last year, btw, the book appeared in Ireland a couple of days before the UK. It probably won't happen this time again (Hodges Figgis confirmed for me that it's Monday for the Irish release) but might be worth a look around tomorrow or on Sunday if you're keen..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

ixoy wrote:
    I think there's 5 in total in ICE's series? It focuses on the Crimson Guard apparently.

Wikipedia says 6, which I also remember SE mentioning. But I could be wrong.

I dunno if the whole series revolves on the Crimson Guard. They don't figure in Nok at all. Book 2 is all about them though.

However, Amazon is reporting a June publishing date - one month after "Reaper's Gale", which in some ways would be a good thing. Where did you hear May?

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/1863238/Night_of_Knives/Product.html
    Last year, btw, the book appeared in Ireland a couple of days before the UK. It probably won't happen this time again (Hodges Figgis confirmed for me that it's Monday for the Irish release) but might be worth a look around tomorrow or on Sunday if you're keen..
    I live in Switzerland, and we've had the last 2 or 3 releases up to a week early, so I'll be checking today on my way to the train, with fingers and toes all crossed.

bonkey wrote:
    Wikipedia says 6, which I also remember SE mentioning. But I could be wrong.

I dunno if the whole series revolves on the Crimson Guard. They don't figure in Nok at all. Book 2 is all about them though.
    Fair enough! I only vaguely remember from a posting a few months ago, so I imagine you're right. I probably read something like "5 more books", which could explain it.

And it if it's released earlier - all the better!
    I live in Switzerland, and we've had the last 2 or 3 releases up to a week early, so I'll be checking today on my way to the train, with fingers and toes all crossed.
    Just checked Hodges Figgis (two branches - including the one that had it early last time!) and Easons. No joy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Cant wait for Reapers Gale. though I'm gonna have to can't read it while I'm doing exams!!

ICE books sound interesting, especially if he's focusing on the CG. The brief glimpse we got of them in Midnight Tides was interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

do you mean a paperback or hardback release ?

• Advertisement

Slurms wrote:
    ICE books sound interesting, especially if he's focusing on the CG. The brief glimpse we got of them in Midnight Tides was interesting.

You also encounter some of them in Garden's of The Moon....the Prince's Fifth Sword, if I remember correctly.

As I mentioned before, though, I'm not sure the series concentrates on them at all. Book 1 doesn't mention them at all. Book 2 should be all about them, which could be where the confusion comes from.

Book wasn't in the shops on Friday, so I bought The Terror by Dan Simmons and read that instead. Picked up Reaper's about 30 mins ago....will start it this evening. Yay!

vash_ro...the general release of Night of Knives is hardback, from what I can see. Reaper's Gale (like all of SE's books so far) is released in 'trade' (i.e. large-format paperback).

bonkey wrote:
    Picked up Reaper's about 30 mins ago....will start it this evening. Yay!
    Boo! I went to Easons, Hodges Figgis, and Chapters - no luck :( They said it was only released today which means it will only reach their warehouses later and the shops themselves some time later this week.

Also the fact today's a bank holiday means that deliveries are stalled anyway.

Looks like I have to wait but do tell us how good it is Bonkey, using appropriate adjectives!

Its big. Weighs my bag down nicely. Is going to keep me away from studying for my Java certification for a week or so....

More than that I can't say yet.

I did come across a review which literally sings its praises. Although the URL says its a "no spoiler" review, it does give away some basic overview of the storyline...so if you want the whole thing to be a surprise, stay away from this:

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2007/03/reapers-gale-non-spoiler-review.html

But the temptation to just pack work in for the afternoon and do some serious reading is almost overwhelming. Nnnnnnggggggg.....stupid Monday releases.

p.s. Bet you don't see that sort of slow-on-the-shelves bollockery when something like Harry Potter comes out. Pshaw.

Well it's out here now for sure - just picked it up :) Annoyingly it was in Hodges Figgis (on Dawson St) since Saturday evening... I checked during the afternoon. Oh well...

Several chapters in and....oh yeah.

As a mate of mine would say...

Thats good slushy.

• Advertisement

Finished it this morning.

Some odd bits in there which are obviously setting up for some stuff in the coming books...but overall rather damned good.

bonkey wrote:
    Finished it this morning.

Some odd bits in there which are obviously setting up for some stuff in the coming books...but overall rather damned good.
    Currently 300 pages in. Trying to savour it and also in the process of moving house, so not as much free time as I'd like.

Very enjoyable so far although, to my shame, I keep forgetting bits of what happened before so I know I'm missing out on parts. Can you recall all the previous characters/plots or do you re-read each time (that's a lot of pages!)

I was given a copy of Night of Knives at Christmas.

After reading it and knowing Reaper's was coming out, I re-read everything in between some other stuff in the interim.

Lot of pages, true, but I've found that every time I re-read the series I find something new I've missed before, and I haven't stopped enjoying them yet.

bonkey wrote:
    I was given a copy of Night of Knives at Christmas.
    Is it good? How does it compare to Erikson's style? I'll be getting it when it's out in general release of course but am curious.

Also have you managed to read "Laughter at Lee's End"? I've got the other two Buchelain and Broach novellas and greatly enjoyed them.
    After reading it and knowing Reaper's was coming out, I re-read everything in between some other stuff in the interim.

Lot of pages, true, but I've found that every time I re-read the series I find something new I've missed before, and I haven't stopped enjoying them yet.
    Yeah, that's why I want to re-read them because I know there'll be lots of interesting foreshadowing (would love to be able to re-interpret some of the Deck of Dragons readings for example). If only I didn't have a 1000 other books!

ixoy wrote:
    Is it good? How does it compare to Erikson's style? I'll be getting it when it's out in general release of course but am curious.
    I enjoyed it thoroughly.

The style isn't bad....not too dissimilar, to be honest.
    Also have you managed to read "Laughter at Lee's End"? I've got the other two Buchelain and Broach novellas and greatly enjoyed them.
    I've not got any of these novellas yet. On my list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

bonkey wrote:

That's exactly why I really like the books. Re-reading a series is rarely as rewarding an experience as it is with Erikson.

Only a hundred pages or so into Reaper's Gale atm, delayed getting it until after the exams for reasons of past experience (I've learned that picking up new books from authors I like during exam season is a really bad idea in the past). So far it hasn't failed to disappoint. :)

Finished it over the weekend - very enjoyable. Beak was a personal favourite of mine in the book, although gotta love Karsa's bluntness and interactions with Samar Dev.

Spoilers below for the entire book:
    They pretty much wrapped up the Letheras storyline and now the Bonehunters are also mission-less. What's next for them I wonder and does Adjunct Tavore have some ulterior motives/plans (c'mon - she must have!). Still gotta love Tehol as Emperor!

What's up with K'Chain Che'Malle? Why were they following Redmask and where is the real Redmask? And were they involved with the Shake? I thought the implication was that the Shake had Forkul Assail blood in them, no?

Where's Icarium gone? I'm getting the impression that now he's got all the memories of all those citizens of Letheras in his head, so he'll almost be schizoid.
    Why didn't his device work? Was it flawed or was it because of that building that fell when he stepped foot on shore - part of the configuration gone wrong. Or was it Rautos Hivanar's meddling with the pieces? If it was the former, why did the building fall - did the Errant "push" it? Why did the Errant, with Feather Witch, capture Mael other than to get him out of the way?

What's next for Karsa? Will he truly go out to unite the Toblakai/Teblor/Fenn (and all other subsidry races)? Is he threat or an ally in the future? Will he seek revenge on the Crippled God? And is the Crippled God the true threat - he seemed kind of weak and ineffective in his little warren at the end.

As to warrens - easily the most complicated piece of the book. Where precisely were Hedge, Ben, Trull, Udinaas, etc? Was it an Imass realm? A splinter warren of Kurald Emurlan? A new warren? What were the dragons doing in Starvald Demelain? How does their blood relate to the power of the warrens? Aiee!

Looking forward already to "Toll the Hounds". Presumably, we'll see more of Anomander Rake but not sure who else (although Quick Ben is almost a must I'm sure). I know where it's set too but I won't say here in case others don't!

Oh and "Night of Knives" is a one-off, from what I can gather. "Return of the Crimson Guard" is Ian Esslemont's first installment in his quintology, detailing the Crimson Guard post-Bonehunters.

Advertisement