Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Army Rangers Dog tags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Mairt wrote:
    Before you entertain the thoughts of asking me that one, I've 22 yrs service, and counting.

Btw, I don't take offence at what you said. I just think you should educate yourself before making statements which could offend.

I strongly agree with you here, one of my friends just got back from Lebanon recently. Then, it is possible to avoid overseas service if one wants which might be what he was trying to get at (well, probably not but it's about the closest sensible reason that I can think of for what he said).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

nesf wrote:
    I strongly agree with you here, one of my friends just got back from Lebanon recently. Then, it is possible to avoid overseas service if one wants which might be what he was trying to get at (well, probably not but it's about the closest sensible reason that I can think of for what he said).

These days its very hard to avoid oversea's service, esp. the lads on new contracts (not sure when they started) because to have their contracts re-newed after five year's they must have served oversea's and have at least appiled for one NCO's course. As I'm on the 'old contract' I'm not too well up on the details of that.

Basically if a soldier avoids oversea's service he/she risks putting their career on the line.

The financial reward for serving oversea's is pretty nice for single people too, esp. those trying to get on the property ladder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

"Cause you ****in with the best ******, so check the wrist and the neck of the bets *****!"
    Seriously man. dog tags are only gonna get you kicked! Be careful what you choose bud and take care!

DJ

Mairt wrote:
    Basically if a soldier avoids oversea's service he/she risks putting their career on the line.

Yeah, I'm not going to go into it, but essentially that was exactly how my friends put it to me. If you don't go abroad it's hard to get promotions etc. It does pay well though, as you point out.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

Mairt wrote:
    As a matter of fact we do lose troops on oversea's mission's.

When I was in Lebanon in '89 we lost four lads. One shot by the SLA in a village called Haddatha and three blown u by a land mine in Barash*t.

The longest person (all nationalities) 'missing, persumed dead' in Lebanon is an Irish soldier.

On one of my last tours of Lebanon we'd an 18yr old lad from Galway killed by mortor fire. Another we lost was a promising boxer also from the west who was killed in a firefight in another village called Aljurn.

I could go on, but I'm afraid my time would be wasted on you.

You really should educate yourself on the great humanitarian work your Defence Forces are doing oversea's.

Some of our oversea's missions;

http://www.military.ie/overseas/index.html

Before you entertain the thoughts of asking me that one, I've 22 yrs service, and counting.

Btw, I don't take offence at what you said. I just think you should educate yourself before making statements which could offend.

1. I said that in reference to irishbird, and what I meant there was in response to her saying this thread could be offensive to people who have lost relatives in the army. First, I don't see how it could really be that offensive, if at all. And second, it's unlikely that there will be that many, if any, who have lost members of the family from being in the army; as it's not as if this is Britain or the US where there are currently a lot of people serving in Iraq, where with the current rise in deaths, there is genuine threat of having a relative being killed.

I'm sure someone with a son serving in Iraq, if they could choose, would rather them serve with the Irish army, as it is (possibly - I'm assuming) less dangerous.

I was taking nothing away from the Irish army, I've great respect, possibly the most respect for soldiers relative to any other profession for what they do. I don't know anyone serving, so possibly I'm too ignorant to comment, but that's just how I see it. I (practically starting every sentence with I) know about the Irish lads and Lebanon, East Timor etc; what they've done with the UN.

By the way, I thought you approached your criticising of me very well, as perhaps if someone had offended me and I had been in the army I would have gone a bit aggro. Respect to you, and your colleagues, I didn't mean to offend.

ish.

2. Wasn't talking about you, I meant Steyr, as he said that Irish Rangers don't wear dog tags, and yet it turns out they do. I thought he was in the Irish Rangers, but when I looked at the post he was in the reserves. An understandable mistake possible, and I apologise for the cynicism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

The reason why the military types got ancy about this thread is because they've seen a million and ten walters in the collective lifetime, and when you've been crawling through s*** for the "honour" of wearing a DPM pair of slacks, you don't look at people who go around in it as a fashion accessory in quite the same flippant way. Overly strung up? Probably. But then losing a quarter of your bodyweight and maybe a few teeth for two rashers can leave you with these chips on your shoulder.

As for Steyr, I believe he's in the reserves. Err, so yes, technically he would be. Sortof. Long story....

And second, it's unlikely that there will be that many, if any, who have lost members of the family from being in the army; as it's not as if this is Britain or the US where there are currently a lot of people serving in Iraq, where with the current rise in deaths, there is genuine threat of having a relative being killed.

The thing is, that to a person who lost a loved one it doesn't matter if he was the only one that was lost or the twentieth. It's going to leave scars either way. It's not the threat of a relative or friend getting killed that really bothers people it's the ones who have lost one already who are going to be sensitive on this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

2. Wasn't talking about you, I meant Steyr, as he said that Irish Rangers don't wear dog tags, and yet it turns out they do.

I said i didnt know and was rightly corrected on that fact, yes i am in The Reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ThatGuy wrote:
    Steyr wrote:

Yup, this is true. Nice long thread on this on the IMO forums no so long ago. Living in Newbridge I see alot of people wearing DPM walking around the town
    What are "DPM"?

=-=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idf

IDF or idf may stand for:

the_syco wrote:
    ThatGuy wrote:
    What are "DPM"?

=-=

DPM=Disruptive Pattern Material AKA camouflage

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Jesus, this is Ireland, not fúcking Britain or the States where they actually have people putting their lives at risk daily. Cop it.

i must remember the next i go to visit graves of irish soldiers killed overseas to remind their families of this - sir, you dont know what you are talking about

the_syco wrote:
    ThatGuy wrote:
    What are "DPM"?

=-=

Common usage however sees IDF used for Israeli's, and PDF for the Irish Army.

irishbird wrote:
    i must remember the next i go to visit graves of irish soldiers killed overseas to remind their families of this

Here here!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm sure someone with a son serving in Iraq, if they could choose, would rather them serve with the Irish army, as it is (possibly - I'm assuming) less dangerous

Funny, that. That's what my dad said. Then again, he wasn't so keen on my joining the FCA at the time either. He's certainly not too keen on the possibility of my return to Iraq.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Steyr wrote:
    the_syco wrote:

DPM=Disruptive Pattern Material AKA camouflage

PMSL-You grunts actually talk in nonsensical babble like this.

Nothing provides a level of authenticity like a TLA.

That said, I do admit it can get out of hand. The US Army once came up with an acronym for an acronym as the first acronym was still too long.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

GLOSSARY OF MILITARY TERMS IN THIS THREAD.

UNIFIL = United Nations Intrim Force I Lebanon.

DPM = Disruptive Pattern Material.

APC = Armoured Personnel Carrier.

RDF (formerly FCA) = Reserve Defence Force

PDF = Permanent Defence Force.

Dog Tags = Medallion with Name, Number, Blood group & Religion.

USMC = US Marine Corp.

Cluster F*ck = This thread.

Empty Head = Some of the posters in this thread.

:D

The military loves acronyms alright, but they are required when you've got ten billion things to remember and throw into a conversation. Plus they also allow for an outlet to military humour. Anyone recall the bus strikes? The army was there, and even had acronyms invented on the fly for the Finglas Area Rapid Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,232 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mairt wrote:
    GLOSSARY OF MILITARY TERMS IN THIS THREAD.

UNIFIL = United Nations Intrim Force I Lebanon.

DPM = Disruptive Pattern Material.

APC = Armoured Personnel Carrier.

RDF (formerly FCA) = Reserve Defence Force

PDF = Permanent Defence Force.

Dog Tags = Medallion with Name, Number, Blood group & Religion.

USMC = US Marine Corp.

Cluster F*ck = This thread.

Empty Head = Some of the posters in this thread.

:D
    Shame on you, you post a message translating military terms use, which was helpful,
    but you added another term and failed to translate, the former FCA

latenia wrote:

PMSL-You grunts actually talk in nonsensical babble like this.

And just WTF does PMSL stand for................:D Babble ROFL ROFL ROFL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

FCA=Free Clothes Association:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Steyr wrote:
    Thats the best thing you have ever said in your entire life, well done Sir.

I appear to have a stalker who follows me around noting everything I say.

Steyr wrote:
    And just WTF does PMSL stand for................:D Babble ROFL ROFL ROFL :D

I must admit to sharing some of your confusion. I consider myself fairly well versed in military acronyms, going from generics like USN (United States Navy) through specifics like GTD (Gun/Turret Drive) or even the ability to interpret the BIN (Batch Identification Number) on a lot of ammunition.

I have absolutely no idea what a PMSL is. Possibly some sort of weapon: I know when my wife has PMS, it's an ADS. (Area Denial System)

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

say hello to the internet

humbert wrote:
    say hello to the internet

The same Internet that allows one to look up the military acronyms?

At least military ones often make sense. A four-letter-acronym for a three-word-phrase? What's wrong with "PML"?

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I have absolutely no idea what a PMSL is. Possibly some sort of weapon: I know when my wife has PMS, it's an ADS. (Area Denial System)

NTM

PMSL LOL ROFL

testicle wrote:
    I appear to have a stalker who follows me around noting everything I say.

Yes, i can see you now....:rolleyes: I know how you feel....

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

Why is everyone signing off with NTM???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

aodhu wrote:
    Why is everyone signing off with NTM???

Only Manic Moran is. They are his initials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

Ahh, ok then, I just got caught up in the acronym overloading.

Advertisement