Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Writers' Association Awards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

great season. fair play to him.
    now all he needs to do is learn a bit of humility :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Care to elaborate ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

great season. fair play to him.
    you should qualify that statement.

I hae friends over in Manchester, who have met Ronaldo on nights out (just bumped in to him) and apparently he couldn't be any nicer. They asked him for autographs and he gave them no problems, he chatted for a while, shared some drinks. The girl that was there asked for him to take a pic with her, but he said he couldn't as he was in a club, and it is not allowed. However, he said if she was still around at closing he pose from one outside no problem. Not a trace of arrogance on the fella by all accoubts - its just a media portrail of him.

Sure, he is an arrogant little so and so on the pitch, but all the best players are. Is there anyone who plays with more arrogance then Henry? Or Cantona when he was still playing?

when he was interviewed after the middlesborough game. and geoff shreeves asked him why this trouble seemed to follow him around (claims of diving etc).

his response that maybe he was just too good.

i'm sorry, but that is just a stupid thing to say.

when he was interviewed after the middlesborough game. and geoff shreeves asked him why this trouble seemed to follow him around (claims of diving etc).

his response that maybe he was just too good.

i'm sorry, but that is just a stupid thing to say.
    with a big grin on his face, tongue planted firmly in his cheek. If i was ronaldo i would have smacked that Geoff fella and been done with it.

Anyway, he had a freakin point. If he wasn't so good, people would be able to tackle him without fouling him, and then wouldn't need to claim they did nothing wrong (considering the incident being discussed was a clear cut penalty)

• Advertisement

tongue in cheek? how do you know this? did he explain that to you?
    he said it and it was a stupid thing to say.

come on tauren, it was an arrogant thing to say. compare that with the humility of Kaka for instance and you should see what i mean.

not doubting his talent, just his character :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Kaka doesn't ensure the same **** Ronaldo does to be honest.

Kaka is the ultimate classic player. He doesn't no fancy tricks and stuff, he just has pure control, acceleration, passing and shooting ability. No matter what type of football you like, you cannot possibly do anything but love Kaka's style of football.

Ronaldo is a bit more divisive. He said those remarks after the Boro game. Boro, the team that threatened him on and off the pitch. The team that had a player literally attempt to kick his legs off. The team that after that said 'sure we'd all like to do that'.

Yeh, I think Boro are a bit jealous of Ronaldo, and when he said, 'maybe it's cause I'm too good', I think in relation to Boro, he's right.

p.s. When I see Ronaldo and his attitude on the pitch, I think of only one person, Cantona. He was an arrogant bastard, but I loved him :) That said, he wasn't arrogant outside of football, and neither is Ronaldo, so it's all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

tongue in cheek? how do you know this? did he explain that to you?
    he said it and it was a stupid thing to say.

come on tauren, it was an arrogant thing to say. compare that with the humility of Kaka for instance and you should see what i mean.

not doubting his talent, just his character :)

So one remark in a post match interview defines his character. Interesting.

Just maybe the reason he gets kicked so much is that he is too good. How many players have the foot speed he has. I havn't seen too many. Maybe he was just giving an honest answer to a difficult (to answer) question.

In fairness its more than just 1 incident.

His treatment of a team-mate at the world cup was awful.

Against Wigan in Cardiff when he started solo-ing the ball in the middle of the pitch, total lack of respect for opposition for which one of his team-mates (Giggs i think) gave him a good bollicking for.

Neither are really the actions a very grouded humble person. Which is all i said that he lacks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Tauren wrote:
    Well, i remember when the PFA awards were announced, people said the writers award would be of more merit cause they know more about football.
    Who said that? :eek: The writers are no more qualified than me or you. Footballers are much better judges than journalists.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Who said that? :eek: The writers are no more qualified than me or you. Footballers are much better judges than journalists.

i would've presumed the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Tauren wrote:
    Well, i remember when the PFA awards were announced, people said the writers award would be of more merit cause they know more about football.

Ronaldo has won it too.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=464843&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=&title=Writers+award+for+Ronaldo&channel=&

I don't know who you are having a dig at there.

But, in the Boards.ie vote he won it aswell.
    psi wrote:
    The player of the year, with no real competition at all is Cristiano Ronaldo

So, if the players are know-nothings, the football-writers are know-nothings, the Boards.ie folk are know-nothings.

He has obviously, in MOST PEOPLE'S OPINION, been the best player this season.

Just to add
    psi wrote:
    RM: Receiving every single right wing nomination, Cristiano Ronaldo wins hands down and has the most votes of any player.

eirebhoy wrote:
    i can't remeber exactly who said it, and i couldn't be bother to look for the PFA thread, or the specific post within it (might have a look later) but it was definately said, and the reasoning was that footballers probably don't watch much football.

In fairness its more than just 1 incident.

His treatment of a team-mate at the world cup was awful.

Against Wigan in Cardiff when he started solo-ing the ball in the middle of the pitch, total lack of respect for opposition for which one of his team-mates (Giggs i think) gave him a good bollicking for.

Neither are really the actions a very grouded humble person. Which is all i said that he lacks!
    Rubbish.

and

Rubbish.

Do you work for the Sun, or the BBC? Is your name Ian Wright? or Alan Shearer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Tauren wrote:
    i can't remeber exactly who said it, and i couldn't be bother to look for the PFA thread, or the specific post within it (might have a look later) but it was definately said, and the reasoning was that footballers probably don't watch much football.
    That's a fair point.

Tauren wrote:
    Rubbish.

and

Rubbish.

Do you work for the Sun, or the BBC? Is your name Ian Wright? or Alan Shearer?

You're a great man for rubbishing other peoples opinions because they dont fall into line with your own. Every second post i read from you starts, 'rubbish' or 'utter rubbish'.

what exactly is rubbish in what i said?!

Both incidents happened and show extreme arrogance, not an admirable quality.

World Cup incident: He DID NOTHING WRONG!

There was an incident on the halfway line involving his national team mate, he saw it as a free kick to portugal; the team he was trying to help win the game. Gerrard, standing about the same distance away saw it as a free to england. Players from both sides ran to the incident to claim the free kick. At NO point did Ronaldo ask for Rooney to be sent off (despite the lies from Shearer and Wright to the contrary), he asked for a free kick, nothing more. There is NOTHING wrong with that. The wink, which was made such a big deal over, happened well after the incident and there is no proof to suggest it had any meaning along the lines of "Mission accomplished, got him sent off, oh yeah!", regardless of what the disgracefull editing from the BBC would suggest. Ronaldo winks a lot; for all we know he had just been given an instruction from the bench and was indicating that he understood.

So, for the reasons above, the assertation that his treatment of a team mate at the World Cup was a disgrace, is rubbish (I also fail to see how it could be seen as arrogance regardless of anything else)

The keepy-ups at the League Cup final.

The ball is played to Ronaldo, at pace, with a few opposition players around him. He used his skill and ability to move away from the players into sapce, and lays the ball off to a team mate.

World Cup Incident: Rooney disagrees with you, after the game he went to Gerrard and asked what he should do about the situation, Gerrard informed him that he couldn't play with someone who behaved like Ronaldo did again. this is from Steven Gerrards account of things, someone who was there.
    From my watching it at home, and what i can remember of it - Ronaldo was in the thick of it, complaining to ref, pushing and shoving people (cant be sure exactly, tis a while ago and cant get at youtube!). Somehow i doubt he was querying how much added time was going to be played, or advising the ref to not to send Rooney off. Therefore it is entirely justifiable to think that he was trying to have Rooney sent off. a)people involved said he was. b)even on tv it looked like he was trying to have him sent off.

Carling Cup: If it was skill at an essential moment that he was doing why did Giggs start giving out to him for doing it? From wat i can remember, he was just showing off, rubbing Wigans face in it.

Your description of what he did in the wigan game is hilarious. I bet you could describe Ronaldo wiping his arse and make it sound majestic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally, even if Ronaldo was trying to get Rooney sent off, and I think only he knows if he did, I think Rooney would do the same thing. I've seen Gerrard do similar things, trying to get people booked.
    If you play for your country, personally, if I saw Robbie Keane be nicer to a Spurs player playing against Ireland, I'd go ****ing nuts. PLaying for your country is for your country, who you are friends with in the club is irrelevent.

Giggs was pissed off because he wanted Ronaldo to directly attack. Not because he didn't like Ronaldo toying with the opposition. Hell, I've seen Giggs beat a player 5 times, just for the hell of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

eirebhoy wrote:
    Footballers are much better judges than journalists.
    You forgot to say, "Apart from Ian Wright" at the end of your sentence.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote:
    You forgot to say, "Apart from Ian Wright" at the end of your sentence.

funny cause its true :)

As for Rooney or Gerrard doing the same thing as Ronaldo did.

Watever you think about either of them, i don't think either would do that to a club mate. Thats why they were both so appalled by it. People are right to think it was bad out, they were meant to be friends/team-mates, and despite how rosey everything looks now, at the time it looked like Ronaldo wouldnt have been coming back to England again.

As for Giggs giving Ronaldo a bollicking, at the time, i thought it was very plain to see that the reason was because of Ronaldos show-boating, and not a desire for a more direct attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

is this going to be a daily thing now millersangel? If he was playing for Liverpool you would be saying he was the greatest person ever. You dont like anything Man Utd related, we get that, but can you give it a rest for a while. Fans, Rooney, Ronaldo, what else are you going to give out about?

is this going to be a daily thing now millersangel? If he was playing for Liverpool you would be saying he was the greatest person ever. You dont like anything Man Utd related, we get that, but can you give it a rest for a while. Fans, Rooney, Ronaldo, what else are you going to give out about?

Wat are you talking about? this is a discussion forum. We are discussing Ronaldo, if ya dont like it, don't read it. Am i not entitled to an opinion on the man?!
    If you read back you'll notice, i aint doubting his talent. Just his attitude.
    If he played for Liverpool, the same doubts would exist with me, as they do with Pennants or Bellamys attitudes.
    Or the doubt in regards to the abilitiess of Aurelio, Kuyt or Sissoko.

It seems with you I am not allowed have an opinion in relation to anything to do with UTD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

World Cup Incident: Rooney disagrees with you, after the game he went to Gerrard and asked what he should do about the situation, Gerrard informed him that he couldn't play with someone who behaved like Ronaldo did again. this is from Steven Gerrards account of things, someone who was there.
    From my watching it at home, and what i can remember of it - Ronaldo was in the thick of it, complaining to ref, pushing and shoving people (cant be sure exactly, tis a while ago and cant get at youtube!). Somehow i doubt he was querying how much added time was going to be played, or advising the ref to not to send Rooney off. Therefore it is entirely justifiable to think that he was trying to have Rooney sent off. a)people involved said he was. b)even on tv it looked like he was trying to have him sent off.

yet ronaldo said there is no issue between them

http://home.skysports.com/worldcup/article.aspx?hlid=400279&plid=13017&clid=359&cpid=4

quit trying make something of nothing

oh and for 'humble' Kaka?
    he ahs the odd moan at teh manager
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=418689&plid=13135&clid=120&cpid=21

anyway, back on topic, well done to ronaldo, well deserved

Im sure there is no issue between them now.

but there most definately was.

Advertisement