Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF and the media

Options
  • 04-05-2007 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

So as its been since SF started to take elections seriousy, the print media, namely the Sunday papers have systematically and in typical gutter press fashion tried to destroy the parties new found credability.

Its funny how you will hear nothing from the likes of Williams, Mooney et al while there is no election on and then all of a sudden..boom! The stories are flying. The latest of course is about the debacle down in the Sherriff Street area where Williams is accusing SF members being in cahoots with that Griffen fella. According to him, there are going to be more 'revelations' this sunday.
    But anyway not to labour the point (no pun intended) when will the print gutter snipes ever learn that this kind of negative party bashing just never works, steadily and systematicaly SF have gained and grown in political strength. In fact you could nearly say that the vast majority of local voters know exactly what Williams agenda is and will vote SF regardless of what the buffoon says.

Does anyone think that it will have an effect on results overall? Personally I think Berties dilemma is much more relevant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I agree and I'm no friend of the Shinners, the media keep going for the wrong targets. Attempting to link members with a crime/criminal during an election campaign is bound to back-fire among those who have a sympathic view towards them. What would be more useful would be pinning down SF on practical policy matters bearing in mind at some point they might end up as a junior partner in government (though not this time).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Absolutely, spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Jon wrote:
    Absolutely, spot on

The other thing is that the people who are living in these areas know that these stories are lies it frightens the middle class who don't have any contact with SF because they believe what they are told as they don't have any information to the contrary.

If the idea is to put the middle class off voting SF then it probably works but it does not stop those who are already voting SF as they are living in the area and know that the stories are BS

Also when something like McCartney happens people are so used to williams and co lying that they don't take what is said in those cases seriously it is like the boy who cried wolf.

There are plenty of areas to tackle SF on with resorting to making stuff up ala williams and co

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭thelepo

The answer lies in fairly simple Marxism, the working class like Sinn Féin because they represent their interests, the middle class newspaper don't like them because they seek to take power out of their bourgeois hands. Simple as that really.

What I find extraordinary about Sinn Féin (and I must commend them on it) is their openess on their past. O'Caoilán ran guns did he not, yet he holds his hands up and admits it. He is intelligent enough to argue that he did so in defense of a just cause. It is the cause that the newspapers can not understand. The Irish Daily Mail are the worst example of an anglicised media, Richard Waghorne being the most clear example.

thelepo wrote:
    The answer lies in fairly simple Marxism, the working class like Sinn Féin because they represent their interests, the middle class newspaper don't like them because they seek to take power out of their bourgeois hands. Simple as that really.

What I find extraordinary about Sinn Féin (and I must commend them on it) is their openess on their past. O'Caoilán ran guns did he not, yet he holds his hands up and admits it. He is intelligent enough to argue that he did so in defense of a just cause. It is the cause that the newspapers can not understand. The Irish Daily Mail are the worst example of an anglicised media, Richard Waghorne being the most clear example.

O'Caolain wouldn't know one end of a rifle from the other, his background is in banking :o
    It was Ferris who was caught on the Marita Ann tugging weapons in from the states. Of course its something he will say he is proud of for the reason you outline and well.

• Advertisement

thelepo wrote:

I don't believe O'Caoilan did

Ferris did and he can hardly deny it as he was caught on board the marita ann with tonnes of the stuff and went to prison for it

Jon wrote:
    O'Caolain wouldn't know one end of a rifle from the other, his background is in banking :o
    It was Ferris who was caught on the Marita Ann tugging weapons in from the states. Of course its something he will say he is proud of for the reason you outline and well.

Libya not the states I think

Nah it was the states, his vessel met the 'Valahalla' which sailed from Boston. The Libyan stuff was captured on board a much bigger vessell off the coast of France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭thelepo

Indeed it was Ferris, sorry about that. Got my Sfers mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Voipjunkie wrote:
    I don't believe O'Caoilan did

Ferris did and he can hardly deny it as he was caught on board the marita ann with tonnes of the stuff and went to prison for it

Did Arthur Morgan do something similar?

• Advertisement

Bomb making equipment from memory not certain though but AFAIK he was in Portlaoise

Jon wrote:
    Nah it was the states, his vessel met the 'Valahalla' which sailed from Boston. The Libyan stuff was captured on board a much bigger vessell off the coast of France.

Your right of course the big Libyan stuff was later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RalphCifaretto

The polls show that the anti-SF crusade does not dent their support. The only conceivable negative effect I can see it having is preventing nationalist minded "middle class" individuals switching to SF, which may be limiting their expansion somewhat.

Either way it's reflective of the atrocious standard of journalism we enjoy in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Voipjunkie wrote:
    The other thing is that the people who are living in these areas know that these stories are lies it frightens the middle class who don't have any contact with SF because they believe what they are told as they don't have any information to the contrary.

If the idea is to put the middle class off voting SF then it probably works but it does not stop those who are already voting SF as they are living in the area and know that the stories are BS

Also when something like McCartney happens people are so used to williams and co lying that they don't take what is said in those cases seriously it is like the boy who cried wolf.

There are plenty of areas to tackle SF on with resorting to making stuff up ala williams and co

Agreed but we are still waiting. TBH I wasn't aware of this stuff, but in any event would have chosen to ignore it. Any contribution from SF to date just comes across as waffle.

Whether manifestos are nonsense or not , the electorate likes to have lists to look at.

Morgan was caught for weapons possession and did his time in Long Kesh

Advertisement