Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Number of owners - how it effects resale?

Options
  • 04-05-2007 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi,

Does the number of owners effect resale value? I am looking at buying a 2005 car and I will be the third owner.

Any thoughts?

thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would just ask why was the car kept for an average of one year per owner?
    Get it checked over by a mechanic (regardless of where you buy it!) but once it has the all clear then I wouldn't worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

It suggests a lemon, doesn't it, a lot of owners in a short space of time? Even if the car's been sold on for other reasons, there'd still be a seed planted in a potential buye's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The car may have been pre-registered by a garage, It may have also been a demo model or a hire drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

More owners = less chance of a proper serivce history.

Mike.

derpends on who the owners were and how long they actually owned the car. nigh on impossible to find that out though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

I dont know. I was the 5th owner on my last car. It was a 00 fiesta. I just imagine that people got it as a 'starting off' type of car and wouldnt be something they would hold onto for long like myself. The thing was mint when i bought it and when i sold it on. Buyer did ask why there had been so many owners, but how the hell are you suposed to answer that question? :rolleyes:

Once a car has been well kept and is in good condition throughout, what does it matter how many owners there were? A car could have had one owner that ran the cr@p out of it, or four that treated it like a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

wont worry about it check the registration document it should be blank on the name for previous ownwer therefore would suggest that the car was pre registered to a garage sold with few miles on it and now is being sold to you third owner. when in respect it has only had one. good bargaining point do as the owner would have got more off for a demo.

If the car was pre-registered, the previous owner showing on the registration document would be garage or distributor.
    This is only for the old registration system, and is likely not to apply to a 2005 car.

Advertisement