Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabitte for Taoiseach?

Options
  • 04-05-2007 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was reading one of those free papers, and it had an interview with Rabitte in it (normal generic stuff, nothing interesting or new in the answers). One of the questions asked if if Enda and Rabitte had a deal to take turns as Taoiseach. Rabbitte said that he never discussed with Enda, but that every politician wants to be Taoiseach, and that that stuff would take place after the election (that's obviously not word-for-word).
    I have never heard of this concept of taking turns as Taoiseach. Is there a precedent? If so, did it work out? What does it mean for the direction of a government (Would it make a difference to policy). Have any of the parties hinted at this yet?
    I never heard a whisper about this until today. Can someone from FG or Lab clarify?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

If the political landscape is such that Labour could put either the Dáilternatives or Fianna Fáil in power, the price of his support could very well be a stint as Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I reckon if Rabitte were in a position to be taoiseach the Labour-FG coalition would do better in the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

This would only happen if Labour's vote got *very* close to FG's - which is not going to happen if we are honest..

I suppose you never say never in politics, but I would *stunned* if FG agreed to this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

This would only happen if Labour's vote got *very* close to FG's - which is not going to happen if we are honest..

I suppose you never say never in politics, but I would *stunned* if FG agreed to this..
    What about Fianna Fáil?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Don't see either FG or FF agreeing to this at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Wasn't this revolving Taoiseach concept floating around before the last time we had a rainbow coalition? It was dismissed as a unworkable solution at the time, and is a ridiculous idea in my opinion. If there are any such requests from labour I'm sure it would only be used as a bit of leverage to gain an extra minister or two in the cabinet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

b.ie polar wrote:
    What about Fianna Fáil?

They are only just getting used to coalitions (I'll bet they still have a few in the party who believe that they should go it alone or not at all), a revolving Taoiseach so soon after the shock of this would be surely too much for them to bear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The general consesus seems to be that Labour will be told no. That's good.

Yes just like the PD's were :D

Pat Taoiseach?

Dear God Nooooooooooooooooooo...

• Advertisement

What Pat the Plasterer Conor?

Pat the Plasterer can at least say he's had a proper job outside politics for that real life experience stuff ;)

Rabitte has loads of experience, he was in:
    Sinn Fein
    Workers Party
    Democratic Left
    Labour
    I think I may have missed one or two.

Ah well Conor at the moment we have Bertie the Borrower ;)

gandalf wrote:
    Ah well Conor at the moment we have Bertie the Borrower ;)

You could possibly have stuck in a 'bungling' somewhere too! I wouldn't argue...
    Rabitte has loads of experience, he was in:
    Sinn Fein
    Workers Party
    Democratic Left
    Labour
    I think I may have missed one or two.

Ouch. Has his migration from left to right been completed now the kids are in private school and the SSIA has matured?

Ouch. Has his migration from left to right been completed now the kids are in private school and the SSIA has matured?
    I knew about the kids, but I didn't know about the SSIA! Didn't he condemn them and say that Labour would never do them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I knew about the kids, but I didn't know about the SSIA! Didn't he condemn them and say that Labour would never do them?
    He condemned the introduction of ssia's as a government policy but said that once they were introduced (against his wishes) he would be silly not to take advantage of them.

His position makes sense in a twisted kind of way.

goes something like....... "Labour would not have introduced the ssia scheme but sure might as well take advantage of it as a private citizen seen as SSIA is a reality and there's nothing I can do about it now"

still leaves him wide open for ridicule though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

It's not really a scenario most people would give any consideration to, except maybe those free newspapers looking for an ultra tabloid take this sort of thing.

A far scarier thought (seeing how it's all hypotheticals anyway) would be what would happen if McDowell were to become Taoiseach for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

I remember reading before about this revolving Taoiseach idea but that it was in some way unconstitutional therefore a definite no-no. I could be mistaken though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Rabitte for Taoiseach?

Jesus NO!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I don't like him but I'd much prefer Rabitte to Kenny

Advertisement