Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vincent Browne at FF's shindig Yesterday..

Options
  • 04-05-2007 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭

Anyone got an audio link to the full extent of Vincent Browne 0wning Bertie and friends yesterday?

I checked his RTE podcast, and it has not been updated since a episode at Christmas about Jesus..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It appears to be linked off this page, but can't get it to work here in the Oriface (damn firewalls!).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I'm not sure if it's your firewall Gandalf, I've been having trouble all week with RTEs live streams and archived programs in that I haven't been able to listen to anything. Unless my company firewall has just decided to block RTE but I never had trouble with it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I love RTE's website..

I only watch most of their shows over the net now tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It's at the Vincent Brown link at

http://www.rte.ie/radio/liveplayer_av.html?1,null,200,http://www.rte.ie/smiltest/radio_new.smil

'till this evening presumably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I love his comment to PJ Mara about Browne getting shut up in the 80's trying to question Haughey :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Does anyone else think that this whole money fiasco could well end up helping Bertie's and FFs election campaign ..... Bertie seems to benefit hugely from a strong personal/charisma vote. I'm beginning to form the opinion that this seems to be aided by ANY attention drawn to him whether its good press or bad press.

It could end up similar to the "Paddy the plasterer" fiasco where his popularity actually increased in the polls after the famous RTE interview.

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2006/10/14/story15775.asp

Around election time all the politicians are doing everything they can to get more publicity and get their faces on tv. Bertie doesn't even have to try to get the first headline on the news every night or to be on the front page of every paper with Enda and co. relagated to lower pages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I can't see it happening this time TBH, because now it's the media who smell a rat and with all the previous history FF have with corruption etc. it doesn't look good for El Dictador. It has certainly put me off giving them any sympathy vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

A poll might give us some indication, Drift. We are due a couple this weekend.

Labour and FG are dying for this story to go away, in a way. Rabbitte said so yesterday. They realise what happened last autumn. I reckon FG and Lab are thinking that The Irish Times, by selectively leaking this info in dribs and drabs, are not helping their cause, getting their policies on the front page, attacking the govt parties etc on policy.

They might be thinking its a cheerleader they can do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

I'm just wondering why now, all this "new" information being leaked right now. Why?

Personally I belive the tribunal will wipe the floor with Bertie if thats what he deserves. At least its preferable to a trial by the media with the opposition parties stroking the flames.

Some people have gone down a lot in my estimation on this leaks business, and its not FF

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Drift wrote:
    Does anyone else think that this whole money fiasco could well end up helping Bertie's and FFs election campaign ..... Bertie seems to benefit hugely from a strong personal/charisma vote. I'm beginning to form the opinion that this seems to be aided by ANY attention drawn to him whether its good press or bad press.

Yeah, but he wasn't very impressive yesterday. He seemed a bit morose and downtrodden, to me anyways. Not a good start to the campaign.

He better hope those twins come out of the icu soon. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

simu wrote:
    Yeah, but he wasn't very impressive yesterday. He seemed a bit morose and downtrodden, to me anyways.

Yes ..... he seemed that way to me aswell. If he'd been the normal smiling "water off a ducks back" Bertie I think he would have probably won himself a few votes. Of course it leads to the inevitable question of how people still go for that sort of thing after all the controversies.

I think this picture speaks volumes.

405247.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

gandalf wrote:
    I think this picture speaks volumes.

405247.jpg
    I noticed when he was being asked the questions he stood there with his head down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

wow, just watched this

awful body language, incomprehensible answers

all of the cabinet looking away embarrassed

well done Vincent, despite being an annoying gob****e at times, you have restored my faith in the press...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

simu wrote:
    Yeah, but he wasn't very impressive yesterday. He seemed a bit morose and downtrodden, to me anyways. Not a good start to the campaign.
    I just had a horrible thought. If the public see it the way you do then they may feel sorry for him. Scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The drip, drip, drip effect might pay off, if it chimes in with public weariness of 'more of the same' after May 24. The opposition don't actualy need to get involved.

Mike.

Yep its noticeable how they are keeping their distance this time. Looks like its working too FF are in disarray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

please audio video link. i can't get any??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Here's the clip from yesterday's RTE News which shows the best bits of Bertie getting owned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

thanks for that laika.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Sometimes I think Vincent Brown is out looking for conspiracies, but not on this one. This stinks.

Since when is it ok for a builder (who probably did pretty well out of Fianna Fail policy) to give stg30k in cash to a prime minister a few days before he was set to take office? Unless he can produce receipts or witnesses to say that Celia spent all that money on renovating the house (and that neither Bertie nor Celia benfitted in any way) then I think it's a bribe, plain and simple.

If a previous minister for finance (who should be aware of the ethical standards to be upheld) doesn't feel he should have refused to get involved in the handling of cash and instead asked the builder himself to organise the renovation on his house, then I wouldn't trust the previous minister for finance to look after our money.

/rant
    (there's probably a thread about this already.../heads to politics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The front page story in the Irish Times today doesn't look good for Bertie. The tribunal are concerned about the money from Míchael Wall.

Advertisement