Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

03 Accord Timing Belt

Options
  • 04-05-2007 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Going to look at a couple of new shape 2003 Honda Accords (as well as CRVs, the wife likes them!) this weekend, but a few of them have mileages in the 70-80k. Timing belts haven't been replaced on them, as far as the sellers know.
    Anyone any idea roughly what this would cost to get done? I imagine the belt needs replacing around 60K miles, so i'd like to get it done straight away if I was to buy one...
    Thanks!
    Jonno

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Every car is different. Your best bet is to ask a Honda garage for price and also when it needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Tuning factory do it for circa €180 with a genuine honda belt

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jonno23

That's a good price, I was just afraid it would be closer to a thousand - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

jonno23 wrote:
    Anyone any idea roughly what this would cost to get done? I imagine the belt needs replacing around 60K miles, so i'd like to get it done straight away if I was to buy one...
    Thanks!
    Jonno

Have a look in the service book next time you're in one, timing belt interval will be there. Guess with the accord 12K service interval somewhere around 72K - 84K miles would be right.

Accord service runs around €550 at a main dealer, probably add €300 for the timing belt. Honda service will do as a matter of course, would be surprised if a 2003 Accord wasn't reasonably well looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Honda Accord 2003 (1.8)cambelt renewal at 72'000miles or 8 years.
    2.0D TDi 1998-2003 = 81'000 miles or 9 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mondeoman wrote:
    Honda Accord 2003 (1.8)cambelt renewal at 72'000miles or 8 years.
    2.0D TDi 1998-2003 = 81'000 miles or 9 years

The new shape Accord from 2003 was only available in 2.0 & 2.4 litre petrol and 2.2 litre diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

bazz26 wrote:
    The new shape Accord from 2003 was only available in 2.0 & 2.4 litre petrol and 2.2 litre diesel.

Yeah i ment to put in 1998-2003 for the petrol engines.

from 2003 onwards they are fitted with timing chains;)

Yes, the smallest engine is 2.0.

The Tuning Factory pricing must be ex labour, when compared with the Honda dealer pricing.

All the accords i'm going to see state that they've full service history, but i'll check them thoroughly.

Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

As mondeoman says, there is no belt. A chain in that model instead.

That's good news - I'm guessing the chain wouldn't need replacing as often as a belt, if at all?
    That would be a worry off my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Chain is only replaced if there is a problem with it. There is no schedule for replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,355 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mondeoman wrote:
    from 2003 onwards they are fitted with timing chains;)

That's good to know. Many manufacturers that were previously cheap skates are going back to chains these days fortunately. Why? - I don't know. Maybe they finally realise they should not screw the customer by saving them a few bob at the time of purchase and then causing them hassle and costs of replacement or worse, the belt breaking...

Advertisement