Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Missing connection in view network connections

• 04-05-2007 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm running Windows XP Pro sp2 on an nforce 4 mobo. The motherboards has 2 built in ehternet adaptors a marvell one and the nforce four one. The issue I have is that only the marvell one shows up in my connections part of network places

However if i do run/cmd/ipconfig I see both connections however the nforce one instead of being called Local Area Connection 1 seems to be categorised by a large hex string. The connection its self works ok if i plug in my net connection to it i get online however if possible i would like it work the same as the other network connection.

Just now i updated my mobo drivers from nvidia but no joy. Anyone know what may be the issue?

Cheers in advance

Data

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Have you tried plugging in a network cable into this second network port?
    What happens?

With that network cable in, remove the first one. Do you still have network / internet access?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Yep if i plug in my the ethernet cable to the ethernet port that I am having hte issue with it works fine. It gets assigned an ip from the router and I can get online np I can see the ip from the cmd line but i can't edit the connection or see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hmmm, try remove it from device manager and re-detect it

tried that before and just there with the new drivers installed unfortunately no success.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP

at the command prompt try
    netsh.exe int ip reset filename.log

then have a look in the log file for the name for the next step

it might be possible to rename with netsh
    http://windowshpc.net/blogs/dev_gen/archive/2006/04/17/15.aspx
    keno said:
    Hi Fab,

Yes, you can do this programmatically by using netsh from the command prompt:

netsh interface set interface name="Private" newname="Private Test"

will change the name from "Private" to "Private Test". And of course you can do this on your whole cluster using clusrun too.

otherwise you might have to root around in the registry for the hex name of the card - make sure you backup with system restore first - as that sort of stuff never comes out clean if you screw it up !!!

• Advertisement

thanks for the response. i tried to do what you outlined above. i do the reset of tcp/ip as suggested. the log file shows the connection i have issue with and its hex string. i tried to rename as suggested using the string as the name but with no success. I did find the item in the registry. I removed the folder and removed the card from the device manager and rebooted but it just returned with a different string. the image below will hopefully help

regedit.JPG

quiet likely doing something wrong though. if so please let me know

Advertisement