Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much to spent on first RC Plane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I too am looking at buying a model and I've been looking for a while. Sussex Model Shop appear to do some good deals. I hear alot of different info regarding radios. It can be confusing. Surely it would be better to buy a cheaper radio to start off? People talk about starting with cheap planes but not cheap radios.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

I bought one of the cheap deals from the sussex model shop and I'm happy with it so far, I'd imagine I will have to buy new radio gear at some point as the people suggested here but only it it works out as a hobby. I'd rather spend €200 now, wait and see how it goes and spend another €200 in a few months if it works out than €400 now and never use it. Thats my opinion, but i'm a total novice.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

I'd rather spend €200 now, wait and see how it goes and spend another €200 in a few months if it works out than €400 now and never use it. Thats my opinion

I am not sure if that would be a fair remark, a lot of people try the hobby and end up buying "cheap" RC equipment which translates to a poor experience with the hobby, hence they go no further with it.
    However it can be an expensive hobby so new comers should try finding a happy medium by getting advice from existing flyers...

If you do have a few extra euros to spend, I would put it into a good radio which will stay with you until you are ready to upgrade. Compare this to any equipment in the air which could break on impact with the ground.
    I hear alot of different info regarding radios. It can be confusing. Surely
    If you having any questions, feel free to ask...

Yeah, you experienced people are really strong about the radios. Well the deal I bought cost less than half the price of a similar deal over here, even if I bought a better radio set now it would still cost less than they were asking in the shops in Ireland. You can hardly argue with that can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭loopingfred

Well, we can always argue with that !

What are the prices of the deals you've got in IE and UK to compare ? including shipping of course... :confused: :rolleyes:

Let's compare !

• Advertisement

I paid €205 including shipping for a seagull arising star, an sc .46 engine and a gws 6 channel radio. What do you think, cheap?

You love a good debate on this thread don't you!

Sussex model centre is offering Arising Star complete with SC46 glow engine including muffler and a GWS 4CH radio outfit with servos, nicads and charger. £134.99

Propeller, glow plug, starting equipment and adhesives are not included in the package and will have to be purchased separately.

Hows that for a start?

Always in for a good debate ! :D:D

Well, as Ian said, you have to add all the other stuff around, that add to the price at the end no ?
    Any problem with the plane or one of its gear (faulty servo etc etc), you send that back to the UK or call them for advice ? :confused:

Anyway, you certainly have a club near you that is going to show you all that, so, not a big problem.
    And all that without talking about the radio :D:p

By the way, 5 mins on the Internet, I have found cheaper, with a better radio ! :D (Ok, not in Ireland !)

By the way, 5 mins on the Internet, I have found cheaper, with a better radio ! :D (Ok, not in Ireland !)

Care to pass on the info?

Arf, that will not be fair really ! :rolleyes:
    And at the end, the problem is the same ! What about the warranty and support you can get ?
    Forgot, but you also can have second hand things too ! You can find some really good deals in the BMFA classified !

• Advertisement

The trainer deals I've looked at over here don't include starting equipment either so that will add to the already very high prices. The issues regarding warranty etc is just scare mongering! You don't happen to work for/own a model shop do you Fred...... you seem fairly keen on buying Irish!

Yep, I have one :) (well, a share...) That don't stop me to have a free opinion, not necessarely "business" related, mostly because at the end, I don't really care (free will and it's not my money I spend) and will not stop me flying/building :)

But that don't mean I push people buying all the stuff in Ireland (me first !) as this is by far the most expensive country in Europe with the UK... :( (and I still don't understand why people in this country are looking to buy in the UK, when, if you look elsewhere in the Euro Zone, you find way cheaper !)

If I talk about the warranty, it's more for the new comer, to have a backup without the hassle, but believe me, and the guys who know me can certainly confirm that, once you know what you are doing, I'm the first one to tell them to buy elsewhere !

Now, about the Uk deal, I still don't see the point to spend money (200euros or even more) in something that will need more investment in the future (like the radio) and that's the same if you buy the stuff here or anywhere else, hense the classified in the BFMA website, where you can certainly found what you are looking for at good price...

Forgot to mention, I'm not even Irish !
    Just in case, to remove the patriot thing out of the discussion ! :p

Good clean fun Fred, good clean fun!
    Thanks for the suggestion of the BMFA website it seems good.

Talking about the Euro Zone, you can also have a look at aeromodelisme.be, and in France, aeronews.free.fr (annonce).
    Use google translator (works fine) or ask me if there is something you don't understand (free of charge + Irish VAT of course ! :D:p)

Most speaks English, and you can find some amazing deals sometimes !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Newbies to aeromodelling are always overconfident, but it's not that easy.

They assume 1 the engine will start (Truth over half go back to the (local) shop to get it started for them) most of the rest get help from a club.

Newbies assume it is easy to learn to fly .. well if you got a decent plane it about as difficult as learning to ride a bike. But remember - we all fell off the bike when we tried it first didn't we? So how to keep it in one piece for the first hour while we figure it out?
    A WAREHOUSE SHOP 2000 MILES AWAY WON'T HELP MUCH - THATS FOR SURE. So again it turns up either A at a club or B the local shop with the usual old pathetic story beginning " My girlfriend bought me this present and I can't get it to ......." like they haven't heard it a million times already.

Consider the guys who instruct beginners for free at the club. They have been doing this for more than a wet week! Out walks the latest skinflint with a shiny marginal plane that might just limp around the sky if an expert is doing his absolute best on the radio. On a breezy day it may even go backwards! THEY KNOW FULL WELL THEIR EFFORTS AND TIME ARE GOING TO BE WASTED HELPING THIS NEW LOSER . Instructors know within 60 seconds of meeting a newbie if he has a self destructive attitude to reliable equipment. Instructors have met failures dozens of times already, helped them and watched them give it up 3-6 weeks later, turning it all into a waste of their time and efforts. So in these cases politely give him a flight to show how helpful they are. Then with a clear conscience they walk back to fly their own model which is the reason they came out in the first place.

But THE SAME INSTRUCTORS have a very very different level of committment to someone they perceive as "realistic". Pre-losers never get to see how helpful these generous instructor-modellers can be passing on years of help with no pain or breakage, just a few well time helpful comments. Tight beginners give the game away when they expect(for one example) that all planes should cost the same as the cheapest planes, seing as they're all planes! Does a Skoda cost the same as a BMW? Which will you enjoy driving more?

In extreme cases the instructors may refuse to allow a model to fly due to perceived danger from it. And yes that actually happens from time to time.

Flying is high definition reality at enormous speed, like trapeze with no safety net. Look around a flying club. All practical realistic folks. But the demands of flying screens out a certain personality before long, and many who came have already gone for good. You see only "survivors" who had what it takes .... gravity and breakage has already removed the wishful dreamers from the membership! Listen to the good natured cracks about who failed "The Darwin Test".

Now I work at a hobby shop myself. (but the guys on this forum would of course challenge me if I said something wrong or incorrect)
    Or maybe the fact that I fly, have more experience, made more models than the average modeller, spent more of my time in modelling, and have taught well over 300 people to fly personally counts for something, so possibly I have gotten some idea of "what a flier needs to make it in flying".

The question "What is the cheapest plane?" is a very different question from the wiser "What plane flies the best?" or the even brighter still "What plane is most suited to my present level of ability, so I learn more tricks but don't crash?" Experienced modellers know the right questions, but not all beginners want to listen.

Give yourself a decent chance. You are supposed to be helping yourself!. If you won't get decent nice stuff, how will you enjoy using it?
    Remember it's supposed to be enjoyable. :D

Good post Coolwings. (I drive a skoda and I bleepin love it!)

Donal94 wrote: »
    ....I drive a skoda and I bleepin love it! ....

Cheers ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭r011ingthunder

coolwings wrote: »
    ...THEY KNOW FULL WELL THEIR EFFORTS AND TIME ARE GOING TO BE WASTED HELPING THIS NEW LOSER ....
    Ah coolwings, I think you might have had a bee in your bonnet when you wrote that post. Ordinarily (in my experience) you are a far more forgiving type!
    First of all, yes, newbies are over confident, but that's because people like you make it look so easy to fly. Also, people in general expect things to be easy these days, it's a result of the "Mod-Con" era we live in.
    Secondly, it is quite usual for someone to want to dip their toe into the water first before jumping in, and this means that newbies will look for the absolute cheapest options available in order to get a feel for the hobby first - sometimes even opting for the dreaded "toy plane" type from a Toy Store Chain. That's natural, and happens very frequently when the right advice has not been sought or given. I'm not that long at this game myself, and when I started out I know that's what I was initially looking for, until I sought advice. The fact that people go to the trouble of looking up this forum for advice is a small sign that they are going to take it seriously.
    Thirdly, why not make it a sticky of some sort on the top of the forum and call it "Buying your first plane" or something similar, and highlight the following points:
    1. Buy a decent mid-range radio - Reason: It doesn't fly, therefore it has a greater chance of surviving a mishap, and if the hobby falls through, it can then be sold on for €'s to another learner. Also it is more reliable, and has a greater range.
    2. Don't buy a toy shop plane - Reason: If it crashes, spares are next to impossible to obtain, and if you want to progress to a better plane, NONE of the internals are inter-changeable, and therefore will cost more. Also, they are not as robust as "proper" planes and cannot be flown in anything more than a very light breeze.
    3. Don't buy a B29 Superfortress with your scratch card winnings - Reason: You won't be able to fly it, end of story.
    4. Buy local if you want support from your shop, and spares off-the-shelf, and banter about planes when you drop in, and funny stories to entertain you, and an all-round enjoyable experience while buying. Buy foreign if you want cheap, sterile shopping with little or no after sales service.
    5. Don't mix and match crystals where possible - Reason: Some crystals like talking to each, others haven't spoken in years, and no amount of cajoling will get them to communicate.
    6. If possible don't make your first flight a solo effort - Reason: You will probably crash, and in the process put yourself off the whole hobby. At least try to get someone who can fly to take the plane into the air so you can learn to fly it "safely". Taking off can be just as difficult as landing.
    7. Don't buy from the US (and anywhere else that uses the 75 MHz frequency) - Reason: You will get (and cause) all sorts of interference here in Ireland, and it is illegal to fly on that frequency in this country.
    8. If you need advice, ask coolwings (or loopingfred or any of the other "veterans") on this site, they are (normally) forgiving of newbies questions, and are a veritable mine of helpful information.

I'm sure there is a huge amount of other "First time buyer beware" type advice that others could add, and a sticky would then be the best place for this in my opinion.

r011in

I feel strongly about it probably because I love the hobby and consequently I hate to see a newbie put themselves in a position where they have alomost no chance of success.

But newcomers really don't have a clue how absolutely useless the internet advise on planes coming from the US continent is to a model flier living in Ireland.

Take a look at this:
    irelandwindtoday.jpg
    Wind map of ireland today - a land Area (Total): 70,280 SQ KM

uswindtoday.jpg
    Wind map of the US today - an land area (Total): 9,826,630 SQ KM

The landmass is 140 times bigger and nowhere in the US (today) is it remotely like the wind we have here. Search the whole of the US, a huge area, and in the windiest area they have slightly over half the wind we have in Ireland!
    This also applies to the European countries, and to a smaller degree also to the UK.
    I reckon, from a flying perspective, the UK is to the Irish east coast, as the Irish East coast is to the Irish north or west coast.

I always said that in Ireland we have planes that do better here, and they are not the ones that are popular in other places. It is just that most people, especially newcomers to model flight, have no idea how true this is, and how much difference it makes to equipment choices.
    This lends importance to who you ask for advise, or where you do your research online. As they say - opinions vary! But your model will have to cope with whatever is up there over your (Irish) flying field and so do you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Ok so I got a supercub based on overseas advice. What plane would you have recommended. I may just get it as my next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Hey coolwings, while I aggree fully with your previous statements....and you are correct about Ireland’s weather, I still think the internet is one of the best places to gain advice in all aspects of the RC world. Maybe that’s coming from a person that can put the weather into perspective with the internets comments...;)

This thread is turning into a winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 superflyguy321

Hello Donal 94. Your right prices here in Ireland are very high but isnt it the same for everything here. Most Irish businesses will not work on less than 300% mark up. We have become very greedy since our economy has gotten better.

I agree with you and I buy most stuff abroad and get way getter deals but on the other hand there is no back up in most cases when there has been an issue, or the cost of a return trip is not cost effective.

When I have bought online the sellers English was great till a problem arose then "Me not understand too good". I would recommend you look at this Irish website http://www.discount-rc-toys.com/ this is where I buy from for now as they are offering the same deals as abroad, no problems yet.

Your also right Donal in saying there seems to be a lot of keen advertisers here on Irish websites, I noticed that too. Please share any good websites you come accross. Here is another one but its not Irish http://www.towerhobbies.com/ but like all the boys say beware and read everything carefully there are advantages to buying here.

Good luck !

Hello Donal 94. ....Most Irish businesses will not work on less than 300% mark up. ....

Are you for real? Most Irish businesses - 300% - where do you get your information? s a car that costs 10000 in UK costing 30000 here? A house? A packet of cornflakes? A model plane?

Most Irish retail businesses have a 10% (low) to 30% (high) markup! The hobby trade is no exception!

Grocery is an exception where foodstuff that goes off has a higher markup to allow for disposal of unsellable products. Clothing is also an exception where you may be accarate for that particular area.
    Most economic overviews of Irish retail business will show that retail businesses that ask more than eg 40% markup go out of business due to no sales.
    Businesses (anywhere in the EU) that charge less than 20% markup (if not very high volume) usually go out of business due to losing money after salaries and costs are paid and running out of cash.
    There are of course exceptions, and they may fit your assertion, but these would likely be a parade of new businesses doomed to fail, that have just not failed yet.

But what does this have to do with models?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 superflyguy321

Hey Coolwings. There are plenty of businesses making 300% mark up, believe me. I find it hard to believe that small companies earn 10% profit on a small annual turnover, like Model stores for example. That would make the business too hard to earn big bucks from. Anyhow enough said, I am for real though;)

Hey Coolwings. There are plenty of businesses making 300% mark up, believe me. ...

Let me get this right ... you actually believe that a €100 trainer airplane sitting on the shelf in the model shop has been bought and paid for with €25 ? (25 + 25 x 3 = 100)

So how much did the freight company charge to get around the planet from the place it was made, this 5 foot long box of fragile goods? Truck, driver, loading, fuel, container ships, time, unloading, tax, insurance and so on?
    I guess you reckon the freight company brought it here for about 10 cents? :p
    How about the shipping freight was actually equal to the value of the goods, the plane cost 2 to 3 times what you think, another 21% VAT is deducted from the selling price, and your theory is a little far fetched .... ;)

And that's just the freight and VAT. I assume the staff want to be paid, and the buildings are lit, heated and insured, and the ESB and phones are paid for and working!
    That would make the business too hard to earn big bucks from....
    Really? Let me let you in on a secret. No "business" cares if anyone makes or loses any amount of money, or make ANY bucks. That is how many individual businesses go bust, their owners money gone forever, but "the business" goes on.
    (Ask any builder who has a lot of unsold product now worth 15 - 20% less than he hoped, and see if he worries about "too hard to make big bucks". )
    Show me any model shop where the owner has a Mercedes.

The way it really is:
    A big chunk of Irish people have negative equity on their home, go back in history and see what happens right after that situation occurs.
    Retailers in Ireland are actually wondering will they make ANY bucks in 2008, and are watching helplessly while the government lets the economy go down the toilet, all the while saying "there's no problem"! ... Unemployment has already begun to rise, meaning that there are less spenders out there, and that alone is sufficient trigger for the next fall in retail sales, followed by layoffs in big business, which then causes the next batch of small businesses to close. It's already in motion - and they never stopped it before after it got started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭r011ingthunder

There are plenty of businesses making 300% mark up, believe me.
    Maybe, but they aren't Sole Traders or Small Traders (in the man).
    coolwings wrote: »
    Show me any model shop where the owner has a Mercedes.

The way it really is:
    A big chunk of Irish people have negative equity on their home, go back in history and see what happens right after that situation occurs.
    Retailers in Ireland are actually wondering will they make ANY bucks in 2008, and are watching helplessly while the government lets the economy go down the toilet, all the while saying "there's no problem"! ... Unemployment has already begun to rise, meaning that there are less spenders out there, and that alone is sufficient trigger for the next fall in retail sales, followed by layoffs in big business, which then causes the next batch of small businesses to close. It's already in motion - and they never stopped it before after it got started.
    And here we see the other side of that mad argument.
    I believe neither,
    r011in

Did I weigh in a bit heavy? :p Maybe. (The high tax high cost retail economics do count for all sales units, including model shops.)
    The guys that suggest everything costs a shop 1 dollar and sells for 100 dollars do irritate (as in a personal mudslinging type insult) because I know otherwise and work in the trade, and knowing many model shop owners personally, that affects the tone of my reply.

I agree that Ro11in seems to have "the middle road". But he may be missing an underlying trend.

In the last 5 years closures:
    Owens of Bray, Starting Grid Dun Laoghaire, Planet Fun Blanchardstown, Model World Crumlin, Listowel Model Shop & car track, Arklow Model Shop, Limerick motor cycle-model place, Tipperary model shop, model shop just over the border in NIrl, one in Donegal, the shooting-model place in Leixlip.
    That's 11. I suspect I missed another.

Openings are few. I think in 3 years the selection of Irish model shops will thin out a bit more.
    As far as I can see the UK has the same trend for about 10 years now. Fewer permanent small model shops in the High Street. Fewer part timers in their place. Ebay and fewer bigger size shops taking up the slack.
    I wonder what the model club memberships are showing?

• Advertisement

[and are watching helplessly while the government lets the economy go down the toilet, all the while saying "there's no problem"! ...

Another gem Coolwings, why don't we all vote for them again that usually helps!

Advertisement