Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3, haunting me! Please Help!

Options
  • 04-05-2007 12:56pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I am a very happy owner of pretty much everything to play games on at the mo, I love my Wii, DS and 360 and resolved that, seeing as I was so happy, that I wouldn't allow myself to be taken in by the Sony hype machine.
    Instead, I felt that as far as next gen gaming goes I have all I need in both the Wii and 360, given that the majority of big PS3 releases are more or less cross platform titles, Oblivion, RR7(or RR6.5!), GTAIV etc.

So Far, So Good.....

Until now that is.

Every shop I go into selling video-games, my eye is inevitably drawn to the PS3 pod and the ubiquitous Motorstorm or F1 that's playing on it and pangs of regret course through me that I'm not playing these at home too!

It's ridiculous I know, neither game likely to stand the test of time at all, the F1 title probably to be updated within the next 10 months as well, but never the less, I find myself contriving ways to justify the purchase of a PS3.

Not helping matters is my SSIA that has just come through.

I need help, as it stands I have more games than I'll ever play in my lifetime, I told all my mates that this wise gamer won't be getting a PS3 'til Christmas and I have a wife that in all likelihood would drop a large hammer on my head if I turned up with the PS3, it's not like a PSP, you can't stash it at the bottom of a backpack until you've built up enough brownie points to 'fess up.

So help me folks, tell me that I should have more backbone and stay true and not buy a PS3 or explain to me why I should throw caution to the wind, as well as any chance of seeing my son again, and buy one.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd wait. Think about it, what games are on the PS3 that warrant a purchase? Motorstorm is a decent racer but nothing special and VF5 is phenomenal but coming to Xbox 360 soon. There isn't anything on the horizon. If you wait for the PS3 motorstorm should be going cheap. Just like the Wii and 360 there won't be anything worth buying for the console after launch for almost a year. Myself, I'm off to America during the summer and will be picking up one for roughly less than 66% of the price :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Save yourself the hassle - don't bother! I'm in a similar situation to you (360, PSP, watchful wife :D etc) but also have a gaming PC instead of a Wii. So, its an expensive job feeding the consoles with games and the PC with hardware. I got a loan of a PS3 for a couple of days and that exorcised my desire to buy one. I think as Retr0gamer says, it will be some time before it has a compelling catalogue of games to make it worth buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You gotta wait :)
    At least till Gran Turismo and Metal Gear come out...then NO-ONE can blame you for getting one :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, maybe, but still, seeing as I'm going to buy one anyway, why not pick one up now? I mean I can get a 2nd hand one for as little as €500 with resistance and motorstorm, why not? GT and MGS don't really interest me, not sure what does, that dragon riding game looks nice, by Factor5, feck!, I'm still no wiser.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Yeah, maybe, but still, seeing as I'm going to buy one anyway, why not pick one up now? I mean I can get a 2nd hand one for as little as €500 with resistance and motorstorm, why not? GT and MGS don't really interest me, not sure what does, that dragon riding game looks nice, by Factor5, feck!, I'm still no wiser.

500 stingers is a lot of money for a brand new console at release let alone a second hand console.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

dude if your ssia just came through, i say go for it! I got one with virtua fighter 5 & resistance about 2 weeks ago, comepletely spur of the moment. VF5 is classic, resistance is fun, and The ninja gaiden sigma demo is worth the download just for rachels wobbly lady lumps alone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'd say buy one. I haven't touched my 360 since I completed Crackdown(apart from a short session of Full Auto and Panzer Dragoon Orta for some research into aiming systems for my course), but F1, Motorstorm and Gripshift are all giving me reasons to come back to the PS3 regularly and I'm gonna crack and start buying some PS1 downloadable games from the US store sooner or later, at £3 each how could I not!

I guess I'm speaking as a fan of racing games who couldn't care less about recent big 360 games like Gears of War or Lost Planet or whatever. My 360 will have my attention back when Forza 2 comes out and for Mass Effect later in the year, but then I'll likely be switching back to my PS3 for Little Big Planet, Lair and Heavenly Sword later this year too depending on how they turn out.

I look at it this way. If I don't buy a PS3 I'll never pay Team Ico's next game and that alone is likely reason enough. Then there's also the next Gran Turismo or the next Final Fantasy or the next Metal Gear Solid or the next God of War or any of the original IP Sony have a great track record of establishing that is on the horizon. There's too many good games there to miss out on, a lot more quality than the future 360 or Wii exclusive lists in my opinion, but obviously it depends on taste.

So why not buy now, and enjoy some of the great games on the console at the moment in addition to what other machines have to offer, when you know you'll buy one eventually anyway. Price may go down but not by more than the cost of a couple of nights out in Dublin, which you won't miss in the long run.

0ubliette wrote:
    The ninja gaiden sigma demo is worth the download just for rachels wobbly lady lumps alone :D

Wait until you see her thinly veiled bukkake scene later in the game.

Anyone looking forward to a new FF game is better off with an xbox 360. Square Enix have gone downhill and FFXII was awful and wasn't even a FF game anyway. Hironobu Sakaguchi is making games for the xbox 360 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Anyone looking forward to a new FF game is better off with an xbox 360. Square Enix have gone downhill and FFXII was awful and wasn't even a FF game anyway.

I said wow.

There's some confusing comments in here. You say there's nothing that interests you on the horizon, but you yourself are going to pick one up in the summer (which is just the next couple of months)? And €500 is a lot, but like yourself he could import.

CiDeRmAn - you can really only trust your own judgement. I think the only question you need to consider is if there will be a price drop this year, and whether you can wait until then or not, or if the extra €100 you might pay now is worth it to own the system earlier. I'm guessing there will be a price drop before Xmas, but whether it's worth your while waiting is up to you and whether there's enough games you really want out now, or coming out before that pricedrop. If you're interested in HD movies on top of that, it probably becomes an easier decision to make.

I personally think that this autumn will be a nice time to buy in. There'll be a few things happening around that time that might make it the sweet spot (e.g. price drop? Home's launch, LittleBigPlanet + the rest of the usual Autumn/Winter rush). But you might have a bit of a backlog to get through if there are enough games out now that you want also.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Anyone looking forward to a new FF game is better off with an xbox 360. Square Enix have gone downhill and FFXII was awful and wasn't even a FF game anyway. Hironobu Sakaguchi is making games for the xbox 360 now.

I agree with you that XII was a let down, but it wasn't entirely awful and I also don't think it has anything to do with Sakaguchi leaving. If anything it was a victim of the new combat system, which they put so much effort into that they lost focus on other parts of the game. It was a great reworking of the battle system though and as they refine it I see no reason why they won't be up to their usual standard next time.

From the videos I've seen, XIII looks similar in art style to X which I see as a good thing and it appeals to me a lot more than Blue Dragon. You may say it's shallow, but I think Blue Dragon just takes the cutesy big headed thing too far. I look at the characters in it and I just can't imagine there being the sort of dark scenes like the ghost train in VI or numerous scenes in VII or the ending of X. It's difficult to relate to characters in that way when they're as sickeningly cute as in Blue Dragon. There's plenty of room for stylised characters(indeed, VI and VII were hardly realistic) but I really think they went too far there and it's putting me off.

Lost Odyssey is a lot more intriguing, but from what I've seen I have my worries that they seem to be focussing on the combat a lot more than characterisation - the mistake FFXII made. Obviously it's early days and hopefully I'm completely wrong but I'm just basing it on what the developers have chosen to show off. I do have high hopes for Lost Odyssey but based on what I've seen so far, XIII is still more appealing to me at the moment mainly because of it's interesting setting. I'm sure I'll be buying both anyway. Final Fantasy isn't going to fall apart without Sakaguchi, he's had a somewhat hands off role for a lot of the recent games in the series as it stands anyway and there's many other talented people there.

• Advertisement

If you buy one Resistance will take over your life as you will not be able to tear yourself away from its awesome online mode.

steviec wrote:
    From the videos I've seen, XIII looks similar in art style to X which I see as a good thing and it appeals to me a lot more than Blue Dragon. You may say it's shallow, but I think Blue Dragon just takes the cutesy big headed thing too far. I look at the characters in it and I just can't imagine there being the sort of dark scenes like the ghost train in VI or numerous scenes in VII or the ending of X. It's difficult to relate to characters in that way when they're as sickeningly cute as in Blue Dragon. There's plenty of room for stylised characters(indeed, VI and VII were hardly realistic) but I really think they went too far there and it's putting me off.

Blue Dragon has the same art style and most of the same team that made Chrono Trigger. Thats why i'm so excited about it. Chrono Trigger was amazing even if you didn't like the art style.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Blue Dragon has the same art style and most of the same team that made Chrono Trigger. Thats why i'm so excited about it. Chrono Trigger was amazing even if you didn't like the art style.

Fair enough, I've yet to play Chrono Trigger properly, always intend to play it on emulator and I've played through the starting area at a carnival I think but I always seem to get distracted and never come back to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

steviec wrote:
    Fair enough, I've yet to play Chrono Trigger properly, always intend to play it on emulator and I've played through the starting area at a carnival I think but I always seem to get distracted and never come back to the game.
    Fool! Invest another hour or 2, you should be hooked by then ;)

@OP: Look at the games out for the PS3 right now, and never buy a console because "series X" is coming out on it sometime. Maybe. Definitely. Hopefully...
    Games development can be a rocky road, and lots of games either are a year or 2 late, or just -- disappear. So don't invest in broken promises.

Oh, and Resistance is too generic by far. Pity, that dev team usually releases quality games...

steviec wrote:

:eek:

You're defennding FFXII yet you haven't played Chrono Trigger, one of the finest, if not the finest RPG ever created. You really need to give Chrono Trigger another go, you'll be a lot more excited about Blue Dragon when you finish it.

I killed my first PS2 playing the PS1 version of this game and yet I still love it.

If you need more proof that Square Enix have gone downhill just look at their output since Sakaguchi left. Anything they did release that was good was by another developer (Dragon Quest VIII). Kingdom Hearts 2 was good but a let down compared to the first game and Front Mission 5: Scars of War is supposedly a phenomenally good game and yet Square are up to their old tricks and refuse to release it in the west. Can't think of anything else.

I do hold some hope for FFXIII since a lot the team behind FFX are on board. However I held a lot of hope for FFXII since the Vagrant story team were on board and look how disappointed I was with the finished results. I really don't want to think what they are doing with Dragon Quest IX but it will have a 'shudder' real time battle system. Hopefully not soulless diablo clone we got with FFXII again.

I really think that if they got rid of the random battles in FFX they really would have nailed the battle system. It was the best one I've used since Grandia. FFXII was a huge step backwards imo.

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    @OP: Look at the games out for the PS3 right now, and never buy a console because "series X" is coming out on it sometime. Maybe. Definitely. Hopefully...
    Games development can be a rocky road, and lots of games either are a year or 2 late, or just -- disappear. So don't invest in broken promises.

I think you have to look at the bigger picture when buying a games system, particularly early in its life. When you buy into a system at this point, you're investing in the next 5 or 6 years, so it makes sense to look forward and see what's coming. There is a degree of trust involved, but assuming you're looking forward to particular series, I'm guessing there's a reason why you are - that a certain level of trust has been built. For example, I trust Konami to deliver on MGS4, I trust Bungie to deliver on Halo 3. In broader terms, I trust Sony to support their platform for quite a long time to come given my experience with PS1 and PS2. A certain level of 'faith', if you will, is reasonable if it's grounded in something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

LookingFor wrote:
    I think you have to look at the bigger picture when buying a games system, particularly early in its life. When you buy into a system at this point, you're investing in the next 5 or 6 years, so it makes sense to look forward and see what's coming. There is a degree of trust involved, but assuming you're looking forward to particular series, I'm guessing there's a reason why you are - that a certain level of trust has been built. For example, I trust Konami to deliver on MGS4, I trust Bungie to deliver on Halo 3. In broader terms, I trust Sony to support their platform for quite a long time to come given my experience with PS1 and PS2. A certain level of 'faith', if you will, is reasonable if it's grounded in something.

Yes but why buy it now for the price it's at just to have 'faith' that something will come when ye can wait till that game comes and buy the ps3 for less?

Yes but why buy it now for the price it's at just to have 'faith' that something will come when ye can wait till that game comes and buy the ps3 for less?

That's a sound point, and like I said, I'd even recommend (for the OP) waiting until autumn perhaps before buying. I'm just saying, early adopters are likely going to look at both sides of the coin - what's out, and what's coming. If no one did, few systems would ever take off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think i'll get mine after i finally get my tax back from my summer in the states. Probably wont be for another month or so, but hopefully there will be a few more games on it by then. So far, the only one i'm really interested in is Little Big Planet, especially after watching this...http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17724&type=mov&pl=game

The only thing i'm not sure about, is whether or not to get it here, or in the states. My cousin could get it for me over there, which only costs about €440, and there were alot of games on the PS2 that only were released over there. But then i couldnt play any PAL games....so i'm not sure.

Because if you're going to buy it anyway, you may as well enjoy the early games too. If you buy it a couple of years from now, chances are you'd never get around to playing the likes of Motorstorm because there'll be a load of other titles around, and the price difference isn't gonna be more than 100 quid, which isn't a lot extra for having an extra couple of years of entertainment from the machine.

People who bought a 360 at launch(myself included) certainly got their money's worth despite a launch line up of much lower quality than the PS3's but it paid off with many of the games released over the following year, and people who buy a 360 today are going to pay exactly the same amount(with maybe a free game thrown into a bundle), but have missed out on a year and a half of great entertainment. So why not buy early?

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote:
    The only thing i'm not sure about, is whether or not to get it here, or in the states. My cousin could get it for me over there, which only costs about €440, and there were alot of games on the PS2 that only were released over there. But then i couldnt play any PAL games....so i'm not sure.

PS3 games aren't region-locked, so you'd be able to play pal PS3 game on it. PS2/PS1 games are still region-locked, though.

I have a Japanese PS3, and I think it's probably been the easiest import I've ever had in terms of flexibility. Any PS3 game will work on it, any US or Japanese Blu-ray movie will play on it, and a fair number of euro blu-ray movies are region free anyway too. I can access any Playstation Store in any region, and (for the moment at least) can purchase from two of them. I didn't even need a power adaptor for it. If you can get one abroad, and avoid customs etc. I think it's well worth importing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You know, the whole debate has made it all much easier, I think I will give it a few months, I have more games right now than I know what to do with, I'll never finish even the stuff I have on the Wii before I go and buy more, same goes for the 360 and PS2.
    The lack of decent support has pissed me off about Sony and I don't want the same crap as I've gone through with MS, waiting a year and a half to play Panzer Dragoon Orta on it, ridiculous.
    If I was buying a new machine right now and had neither 360 nor PS3 the competition would be fierce, but right now, I don't see anything on Sonys wunderkind to warrant a purchase, I can live without Motorstorm and as for Resistance, I guess decent FPS titles are two for a penny now, no?
    The only things i'll miss will be the HOME online interface with the user definable avatars and the Second Life stylee world to interact in and i'll miss the LittleBigPlanet game that looks so, well intruiging.
    Well, maybe if the money falls into my lap i'll buy one anyway, must start implanting hypnotic suggestions in wifes head while she sleeps, mmm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I really don't want to think what they are doing with Dragon Quest IX but it will have a 'shudder' real time battle system. Hopefully not soulless diablo clone we got with FFXII again.

I really think that if they got rid of the random battles in FFX they really would have nailed the battle system. It was the best one I've used since Grandia. FFXII was a huge step backwards imo.

ohno,you dont need to worry about the DQ series:D take a look of the sales board of the DQ series,it is actually a JAPANESE game,it seems almost every 1 out of 2 japanese have a DQ at home,if Squaresoft(sorry ,still cant accept SQUARE ENIX till now) dare to change it,they are doomed...:D

OVERALL,FFXII is actually still a good RPG(dont shout yet!!think of any good RPG that you have played for these recent years after the release of FFX and KoToR/2??)

i have been playing more than 50 hours now,(after 2 months that i bought the game,played for 3 hours at that time)XII is not a bad RPG at all,honestly.

the problem is,the more i play the game,the more i miss the old but really really really best SRPG,FFTactics(since XII is based on its story),and FFVI(the same vagrant vs mighty empire storyline,but XII has a really SH!TTY storyline),and the more i feel like i am playing KoToR(the building ,the musics,oh,talking of music,i miss Nobuo Uematsu-sama so much...:o )..this is the real let down of XII.greatly dissapointing of these aspects.

@OP:
    PS3 is a must ,for being a game-loving individual,especially some games you will ONLY find it on Ps3:D but,we havent seen any real decent enough ONLY for ps3 games out yet,and the biggest probelm is,its crazy price.save the money for awhile ,maybe till Xmas,we may see a delicious console to get:D

seraphimvc wrote:
    ohno,you dont need to worry about the DQ series:D take a look of the sales board of the DQ series,it is actually a JAPANESE game,it seems almost every 1 out of 2 japanese have a DQ at home,if Squaresoft(sorry ,still cant accept SQUARE ENIX till now) dare to change it,they are doomed...:D

I am worrying, the new game has a real time battle system and the japanese aren't happy about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Good man, CiderMan :)
    steviec wrote:
    I look at it this way. If I don't buy a PS3 I'll never pay Team Ico's next game and that alone is likely reason enough. Then there's also the next Gran Turismo or the next Final Fantasy or the next Metal Gear Solid or the next God of War or any of the original IP Sony have a great track record of establishing that is on the horizon. There's too many good games there to miss out on, a lot more quality than the future 360 or Wii exclusive lists in my opinion, but obviously it depends on taste.
    steviec wrote:
    People who bought a 360 at launch(myself included) certainly got their money's worth despite a launch line up of much lower quality than the PS3's but it paid off with many of the games released over the following year, and people who buy a 360 today are going to pay exactly the same amount(with maybe a free game thrown into a bundle), but have missed out on a year and a half of great entertainment. So why not buy early?

steviec, I know we've had a few run-ins before about the PS3 launch and whatnot, and I'm really not after a rematch, but have you noticed the circularity of your own argument? i.e. 'Buy one now else you won't get to play later'?

What's to stop CiderMan buying one at Xmas (near-guaranteed price drop) with a selection of then-available titles which justify the purchase to him then, e.g. genres/titles he wants to play? Or even later?

I've just bought a slimline PS2 and am catching up on 3 or 4 years' worth of AAA titles, 'ta very much - and all incl. games for just about as much as a brand new slimline PS2 in the shops currently.

Planning a 360 sometime in 2008, and a PS3 maybe in 2009 here :D
    All second-hand cheap-as-chips of course, it's only a pastime ;)

Yup. reckon the best games machine on the market right now is the PS2, so many great games, and all for bugger all.
    A 360 by Christmas will be great purchase for all who haven't got one, should be plenty of new quality games, Halo3, Mass Effect, Forza2, PGR4 and a good range of 2nd hand beauties, Gears Of War, Just Cause, CrackDown, not to mention a large back catalogue of great Xbox games, Halo/2, Panzer Orta, Mechassault2, HalfLife2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

the ps3 is not worth the buy, keep your money think how mnay nice things you could buy at that price tag, why not get the new g4force
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327539

768mb, the grafix on that will be better than what you will get on the ps3 if thats what your into, also you wouldent have to update your pc for a long long time

Advertisement