Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT for a UK resident moving back to Ireland...

Options
  • 04-05-2007 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

You will be glad to know this thread has nothing to do with speeding :p.

Ive read through a fair bit of VRT stuff and cant find the answer to this so apologies if its already posted...

My sister in law is moving back from the UK soon and is bringing her car with her. Do all the same rules apply to her as would apply to someone in Ireland who wanted to import a car from the UK?

Thanks.

Head

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

No. She can do the change over for free.
    The stupid thing is that she can buy a car in uk a year later and say she moved back to uk and now moving to ireland again and she still gets it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Skyuser wrote:
    The stupid thing is that she can buy a car in uk a year later and say she moved back to uk and now moving to ireland again and she still gets it for free.
    I don't think so. She has to prove that she was resident in, and owned the car in the UK for a period of six moths prior to importing it. Her nationality in all this irrelevant. If what you said was true, everybody here would be able to do the same, regardless of nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Afaik she has to prove to the VRO that she was resident in the UK and owned the car there for at least 6 months. So mortgage/rent payments and utility bills will need to be produced to avoid paying VRT. She will also have to reframe from selling the car on for a further 12 months after she imports it here to avoid the VRT too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Skyuser wrote:
    No. She can do the change over for free.

Nope....You can only get a VRT exemption ONCE.
    My mate was working down here but still driving up home to Belfast every weekend so technically wasn't a resident (he was paid up north). He looked in to importing his car when he was going to sell it as he would get much more down here for it than up in Belfast but found out that you could only do this once!
    Head wrote:
    My sister in law is moving back from the UK soon and is bringing her car with her. Do all the same rules apply to her as would apply to someone in Ireland who wanted to import a car from the UK?

Depends how long she was living in the UK and if she's originally an irish resident. If she only moved over to the Uk for less than a year then AFAIR she's not exempt as you have to be living outside the state for more than a year. I also seem to remember my mate who was living in Dubai had to buy the cars he intended to bring home when he moved back here a year before he planned to move back as if the car is under 1 year old he would have had to pay VAT (That may have changed since).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Nope....You can only get a VRT exemption ONCE.

Not true -
    http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vrt_3.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Heres some more information in case its relevant.

She is Irish (originally an Irish resident) and when i say shes a "resident" in the UK i mean that she has lived there for a few years (10 years approx), not "residency" as you might think of it in relation to Australia etc...

I am curious because i may buy her car from her and if it means saving a few thousand euros to wait until she moves home then it would be worth it if she doesnt have to pay the VRT...

VRT Head

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

She cannot sell the car for a year after she moves back if she is exempted from VRT, so you'll have to wait a year until you can buy it from her. Nothing stopping her from still owning it and having you as a named driver on her insurance though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Head wrote:
    H
    I am curious because i may buy her car from her and if it means saving a few thousand euros to wait until she moves home then it would be worth it if she doesnt have to pay the VRT...

VRT Head

I believe if she sells the car within a year of moving back and importing the car without paying VRT then she/you would be liable to pay the VRT

ARE THERE RESTRICTIONS ON THE SALE OR DISPOSAL OF A VEHICLE WHICH HAS BEEN GRANTED TAX RELIEF?

Yes. You may not sell, dispose of, hire out or lend the vehicle during the 12 months following the date of registration. If you do, the VRT (and Customs duty and VAT if appropriate) must be paid in full.
    (quoted from http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vrt_3.htm)

Why not just ring the revenue's VRT lines and they'll answer all your questions

Dublin Vehicle Registration Office
    St John's House
    Tallaght
    DUBLIN 24
    IRELAND
    Tel:+353 (0)1 4149777
    Fax:+353 (0)1 4149720
    Homepage:www.revenue.ie
    Email:southcountyvrt@revenue.ie

Advertisement