Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green candidate in every constituency for first time ever

Options
  • 04-05-2007 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

It seems that for the first time ever, the Green Party are running a candidate in every constituency.
    See list here. I believe there were over ten constituencies in 2002 with no Green candidate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

no idea who the guy running in wexford is. wasn't there talk of the builder Mick Wallace running there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Odd, Brian Scanlon wasn't on the Sligo-North Leitrim list on mycandidate yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Odd, Brian Scanlon wasn't on the Sligo-North Leitrim list on mycandidate yesterday.

Not exactly the website of record. I've seen numerous ommisions and mistakes on it. Great idea, but it was thrown together way too late, just like the Rock the Vote campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Its been updated to include him and the fathers rights and responsibilities candidate. Its not perfect but its a good idea and a good starting point for finding out info on one's constituency and who's running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

They are running Chris O'Leary in Cork North Central, a man whois very lucky to be alive after his house in Mahon(which is actually in South Central) was set on fire some time back during the night when he and his family were asleep. The reason is that he is outspoken on the issue of Anti Social Behaviour in Mahon, and isnt afraid to criticise those in Mahon who are causing havoc there.(for those that dont know, Mahon is not exactly a place you would want to show a tourist because there are plently of problems there, like say Finglas, Moyross etc, but not as bad as those areas all the same)

• Advertisement

E92 wrote:
    They are running Chris O'Leary in Cork North Central, a man whois very lucky to be alive after his house in Mahon(which is actually in South Central) was set on fire some time back during the night when he and his family were asleep. The reason is that he is outspoken on the issue of Anti Social Behaviour in Mahon, and isnt afraid to criticise those in Mahon who are causing havoc there.(for those that dont know, Mahon is not exactly a place you would want to show a tourist because there are plently of problems there, like say Finglas, Moyross etc, but not as bad as those areas all the same)

The Green candidate in Carlow/Kilkenny, Mary White, also had her house attacked because of her outspokeness on anti-social behaviour in the area. And you thought the tree-huggers were weak on crime!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

They will still get no more than a handful of seats. Their policies are usually either

a) good idea but probably unworkable
    or
    b) bloody stupid idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes people still associate the greens with the looney left and hence they are unelectable in most areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

They are making progress unfortunately (I'm not a fan:p ). Mary White in particular looks like she has a good chance to take a seat in Carlow/Kilkenny.

She must be the least photogenic of all the candidates in CW/KK. :eek:

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:
    She must be the least photogenic of all the candidates in CW/KK. :eek:

That comment says a lot more about you than it does about Mary White, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

They are running Brendan McCann in Waterford. They mustn't have much (if any) faith in him because there hasn't been one sound out of him since it was announced that he was going to be running! He'll be lucky to get a handful of votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

I will be giving Greens my number one (Carlow/ Kilkenny area).
    Mary White has done alot of hard work down here and I think is the best of the lot to chose from down here by a country mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

slightly off topic but my impression is the greens didn't do very well in the UK elections i was surprised, only 2 msps losing 5, + 17 more councillors in england to 62, well i guess they nearly doubled their numbers, non-existant in wales??

...according to the bbc website, the greens website says the went up 20% from 93 councillors to 111?

actualy i guess they did ok not great.

Do they have any MPs?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Well they lost whatever small chance they had of a preference from me when I heard they were jumping on the anti-field sports bandwagon.

Advertisement