Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless USB connector

• 04-05-2007 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

My Laptop isn't wireless enabled and we just got wireless broadband in so I need to get a wireless adapter. Any idea how much one of these costs? Are they easy to get? And does it automatically work once it's plugged in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

About 30-40 Euro and you have to install the driver for it I think and that's it. No additional software usually.

Argo's have a couple of different types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Thanks brim...seeing as you're in Maynooth too do you think the computer store in Manor Mills would have them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

i got cable and wireless usb adapters in argos and they work fine.
    you will have to manually configure wireless network settings on the adapter to pick up your wireless network, namely the ssid name and wep key, but this ain't too difficult at all to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

quaidox wrote:
    i got cable and wireless usb adapters in argos and they work fine.
    you will have to manually configure wireless network settings on the adapter to pick up your wireless network, namely the ssid name and wep key, but this ain't too difficult at all to do.

You will need to access the Admin page on the wireless router & set the security permissions which will create the WAP or WEP key for you & then you will need to enter the key into the wireless adapter software on the laptop.

I would recommend you go for the CardBus type adapter instead of the USB Dongle type for the laptop. The USB ones tend to pertrude quite a bit & are easily hit of leading to a damaged USB port.

Get something like this:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306153&view=detailed

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

A Wireless pcmcia card is an option as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

On the other hand a usb wireless dongle can give you more options as you can use it at the end of a usb cable and experiement with positioning to get the best wireless signal. If you travel a lot then the card is probably a better option.

Make sure and buy a 'g' model its later than 'b' a little more expensive but a lot better.

Use the WPA security option when setting up your router -its stronger and easier to use as it allows you to choose your own password.

Thanks very much. I'm useless with computers. Should I get someone to install it for me? Or would I be able to follow the instructions ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

MayMay wrote:
    My Laptop isn't wireless enabled and we just got wireless broadband in so I need to get a wireless adapter. Any idea how much one of these costs? Are they easy to get? And does it automatically work once it's plugged in?

Your wireless broadband whos is the Service provider.???.
    The reason I ask is you may be getting your signal wirelessly from the ISP but they usually provide you with an RJ45 ethernet cable from the antenna .. which you can then plug directly in to your laptop.If this is the case you would be well advised to buy your self a WAN router or a Wi-Fi enabled Wan router and then do as above get a PCMCIA wi fi card for laptop etc etc..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

MayMay wrote:
    Thanks very much. I'm useless with computers. Should I get someone to install it for me? Or would I be able to follow the instructions ok?

It is relatively easy to install. Usually you install the driver first from the supplied cd and then plug in either the card or the usb dongle. Windows has a programme for then connecting to the network being transmitted by your router - also a lot of cards or usbs come with their own programme - you can opt for either.

If you set up wpa security on your router you will be asked to enter the password when you join the network.

Try and do it yourself it really is the best way to learn. If you have further problems just post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

MayMay wrote:
    Thanks brim...seeing as you're in Maynooth too do you think the computer store in Manor Mills would have them?

I just moved back to Maynooth so I'm not sure where that is.

Is it the tech store in the shopping centre where Dunnes is?

If so, yes they should have them.

Sorry for the late reply, just read this thread again now. I think you'll be able to handle setup from instructions as its not all that complicated but sure if your having problems, post here and someone will help you out. No point getting someone to install something which is as straight forward as installing a wireless adapter.

• Advertisement

Ok sincere thanks for that everyone. I'll see how I get on, thanks very much :)

Advertisement