Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me

Options
  • 04-05-2007 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

In a few weeks' time I'll be doing my test for the 4th time. Yes, I am a loser. I have to pass this time, if I don't then, screw it, I'll give up driving altogether!
    My test is in City West and I need a recommendation for an excellent instructor. Had one lesson a couple weeks ago but wasn't too impressed and I think a top instructor is my only hope at this stage. I'd love to hear any recommendations! someone strict, who can help me ditch my bad habits. And reassurance from anyone who has failed more than once would also be welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

Hi Waspy

I just passed my test on my 4th try too - so don't be too hard on yourself mate :)

I went with a guy who was recommended on here, Tony from Access School of Motoring in Tallaght. I'll PM you his number.

Have to say, he's the business - every lesson is like a test (he runs through the rules of the road, gets you to open the bonnet like in the test etc) and with his help I passed with flying colours.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You usually cant go wrong with an Irish school of motoring trainer. Airport is also good.
    I used ISM for my pretest in 1999, i was 18 or 19 and passed first time. They were very good!
    What YOU need to do is drive like you are taking the test every time you get in your car for the weeks before your test, i did it for a month so my test was just a normal drive for me. As soon as i passed i went back to my own style of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks, feel better that it is possible to pass the 4th time! I'll def give this guy a go.

I actually had a lesson booked with ISM last night and they didn't show up. I rang them and they said they had no record of my booking, even though I'd been on to them a few times since it was made. Just need to sort something out quickly and with no hassle!

getting stressed thinking about it, must pass this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm not a fan of ISM at all. I had a few ISM instructors down in Cork and all of them were terrible, the lessons did more harm than good. You'd expect such a large school to clue their instructors in on what's expected of you on the test but no. One of them had no idea of the RotR on a mini-roundabout or that it was okay to stop in a gear other than 2nd for instance. Generally I felt their advice was no better than you'd get from the average person with a full licence. As in the advice may be somewhat accurate and enough for a decent percentage of pupils to get through with less than 8 Grade 2s, but not worth paying €35-€40 an hour when you could get your fully licensed friend/family member to give you the same thing for free.

I also saw an pupil in an ISM car being happily driven down an in-hours bus lane in Dublin before! I couldn't believe what I saw, had to look closely to double check that it wasn't just the instructor driving home for his tea and doing the bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Whereabouts do you live? Near Tallaght? I'd second Lpfsox's recommendation :) I had Tony for 5 lessons and he was great. Made me study my rules of the road pretty hard, and gave me some good habits.

• Advertisement

spoke to Tony and have lesson booked for next week, thanks for the tip. I have heard a couple of bad reports of ISM also but hopefully this guy will help me through and rid me of my bad habits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

haha, Tony's a legend :D He's gonna be thrilled to hear that another person heard about him on the internet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭paddyman

Hey,

I would also like tony's number. could someone link me to it or pm.

Have a driving test in citywest, cheers

(still hoping someone can send it) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Paddy sent you a pm. ;)

received and pre-tests booked. Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I failed it first time I did it but reapplied for Fonthill. I found they marked me much easier then the last guy. I honestly believe where you request your test makes a huge difference.

Best of luck in your test Paddy let us know how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

layke wrote:
    I failed it first time I did it but reapplied for Fonthill. I found they marked me much easier then the last guy. I honestly believe where you request your test makes a huge difference.

Best of luck in your test Paddy let us know how you got on.

it does indeed and it also matters what instructor you get, i got two really old stubborn guys in there late 50's when i done it first 2 times and was marked really harshly, got a guy in his early 30's 3rd time and passed with flying colours

• Registered Users Posts: 21 infinitejest

Could someone PM me Tony's number too? Have an upcoming test in Citywest and I really want to pass. I failed my first test (I had only been driving for 9 months and was very nervous). I need someone reliable and strict!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I'll pm you Tony's number. I had my test with SGS in Citywest in January. Thanks to Tony, passed first time. I've since recommended him here to a few people, and they've done well since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A good mate of mine (not a boardsie) passed on fifth attempt. Don't give up! ;)

I passed :), done it up in citywest, really decent lad tested me. We all hear horror stories of some testers just been pricks and seeminly looking to fail the person but this bloke was pleasent and even went through the test afterwards telling me where i was at fault ETC.

An no im not just saying this cause he passed me :P, because i taught 1 ****ed up at 1 point. So little advise for anyone testing in citywest. My instructor including tony told me to treat all the roundabouts up there like they were 2 lanes but the problem is they are not. So i when i was going straight through i shaped wide and kept far left as like pretending there was a car on my right.

However since they really are not 2 lanes it looks like your turning left and on 1 of them a van tried to overtake me on the right and started beeping at me. He was behind me for a few turns more and beeped me goodbye again when turning a different direction.

Afterwards the tester told me that although i was in theory correct in what i was doing. He said he would not make hard against me because of it. But he wished instructors would stop enforcing on people to do this. He said its a common thing and he even had roundabouts pre-drawn on a a4 page which he took out and went through it with me.

So long story short you wont be marked hard against even though i almost caused an accident but he wants people to drive with common sence more then just 100% adherance to some theory in a book.

thanks for the advice paddyman. Had my last lesson with Tony last night and have my test in city west this afternoon. I am terrified! I really want to pass this time, 4 tests is more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

paddyman wrote:

So long story short you wont be marked hard against even though i almost caused an accident but he wants people to drive with common sence more then just 100% adherance to some theory in a book.

So it seems that they are out there trying to pass people as opposed to trying to fail them. That is good.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

When is your test? Can you not squeeze a few more in? Maybe a double just before the test?

MrP

I passed! Thanks all for advice, am very very happy! 4th time lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

waspy wrote:
    I passed! Thanks all for advice, am very very happy! 4th time lucky.
    Congratulations waspy, well done. That must be a load off your mind! :D

Advertisement