Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit by a bus!

Options
  • 04-05-2007 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering what my options are for tracking the driver down.

Basically, i was cycling into town from UCD, and i was crossing that bridge that leads onto the top of leeson street. Please note that this bridge has a cycle line in it, which i was using.

When i was about 30% of the way across the bridge, a private coach started to overtake me. By the time i was halfway across the bridge, the coach was half way through overtaking me. The driver then decided that the bridge wasn't wide enough to overtake me safely, so he swerved in to the left.

Of course, i was in on the left. So he hit my handlebars and forced me to the left where i bounced along the side of the kerb while jamming on the brakes and trying not to fall over.

Once i managed to regain some balance and had stopped, I (of course) was pretty pissed off. At this stage the bus had stopped dead in the road. I could see the driver looking out his side mirror at me, so of course i shouted something along the lines of "WTF are you doing, this is a cycle lane not a bus lane" at him. Then he continued on his merry way.

I stayed on the bridge for the next minute or so recovering from the ordeal when i suddenly realised i should get his license plate. So i hopped back on the bike, cycled after him and took his reg. I reported the incident to the guards that evening but i've heard nothing back from them since (it's been a week now). The women taking the details wasn't even paying attention to what i said. Three times i said that i was on my bike, and she still asked me for my car reg because she thought i was in a car when the accident happened.

So, who else can i complain to that might actually do something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭cycling is fun

try to contact the bus company involved advise of problem and ask to speak with driver and advise of problem think this would qualify as a hit and run

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Certainly left the scence of an accident. Call the gardai again and also the bus company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

At least you're ok. Phone the bus company if you can remember the name. I had a similar incident with a local painting/decorating company and i rang them up threatening all sorts as soon as i got home. I didn't follow through with the threats, but i hope the boss gave the bloke driving a good roasting.

Stupid bus drivers: licence to drive a bus doesn't mean a licence to do what you want. Same for most taxi drivers.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Call your lawyer - theguards and bus station will suddenly take note

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

My sympathies - I know exactly how you feel, I've been there!
    I usually cycle right out in the middle of the lane now if there's something heavy behind me or I'm in a bus lane, screw 'em, I'd rather be safe!

If the gardai are not doing anything then your only other option is to ring/write to the coach company and complain - absolutely no guarantee of your complaint being followed up though. Alternatively, get legal advice, call trafficwatch or drop into the local station to the bridge - where they have to take you a bit more seriously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm shocked at the treatment you're receiving from the guards. Have you gone down to the station? Write a letter of complaint to the superintendent. I always ask the name of the Garda I'm dealing with...just in case.

The way road deaths in this country are at the minute, you would expect a more serious stance to be taken. I'm all for the "onus on the driver". Also, found this from a paper detailing cycling priority in Germany and Holland, not sure how current it is tho:

• Special bicycle streets which permit car traffic but give bicyclists strict right-of-way priority
    over the entire breadth of the street, with cars prohibited from rushing bicyclists or otherwise
    interfering with them
    • Streets that are one-way for cars but two-way for bikes
    • Reserved bus lanes that can be used by bicyclists but not by cars
    • Street networks with deliberate dead ends and circuitous routing for cars but direct, fast
    routing for bikes, including special “cut-through” short-cuts off the road network altogether
    • Permission for bicyclists to make left and right turns where prohibited for motor vehicles. In
    addition, bicyclists can usually make right turns on red, while motorists cannot.
    • Special bike lanes leading to intersections that allow bicyclists to pass waiting cars and
    proceed directly to the front, while cars must wait at a considerable distance from the
    intersection. Bicycles then fill up the roadway space between the intersection and the stop
    line for cars. Since bicyclists also get an advance green light, they can clear the intersection
    before the cars get started.
    • Special traffic lights for bicyclists at intersections, usually with priority signaling for bikes.
    • Special bicyclist-activated traffic signals at key intersections

Also, glad to hear you weren't hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

it is very unlikely that u are going to get any satisfaction from this. its sad but true. i would say even if you went down the driver would have kept going. in order for any further action to be in any way successful you would need to have some witnesses.
    i can certainly sympathise with you as i cycle to college everyday and at least once a day (i'm not joking) have a near miss. in this regard coaches are a major culprit. the drivers either don't look in their mirrors or the mirrors are insufficient. what you describe is very common i.e. vehicles encroaching into the cycle lane either to avoid another vehicle turning right, or just for the hell of it. its up there with cars overtaking you on the bike then immediately going in front of you and hitting the brakes.
    a couple of tips i can give you is to ride on the extreme right of the cycle lane, to give yourself more room for maneuver if needed and try to 'stare down' drivers behind you or who are overtaking you. don't ask me how but this staring technique seems to work. they become aware of you when you stare at them and are less likely to do something stupid.

p.s. the guards don't care unless your dads a superindendant, your second name is Ahern, or theres something in it for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

I'm just wondering what my options are for tracking the driver down.

The Gardai are your best option, but you have to push it - really let them know that you're serious. I had a similar experience with a car that knocked me over and left the scene. I had to pursue the gardai for a week until they eventually gave me the details (name, address, insurance etc). Though I'm not sure how legal this is, I could have gone to her house and set fire to it! :D

Best way is to inform the Gardai that you have been involved in a hit and run (in my case I had an injury to prove my point, but the principal still holds). Then tell them you have engaged a solicitor who requires the information on the bus driver - this should encourage them to follow procedures a little more carefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    • Special traffic lights for bicyclists at intersections, usually with priority signaling for bikes.
    • Special bicyclist-activated traffic signals at key intersections

The majority of cyclists show a complete disregard for traffic signals, why on earth do you think they'd take notice of special cyclist only lights? I say this both as a driver, and as someone who cycles to work every day.

OP - sorry to hear what happened. Ask to speak to someone higher up in the garda station you reported it to, that driver should not get away with potentially almost killing someone.

Advertisement