Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Friday

Options
  • 04-05-2007 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

yeah, its here again. I see there's police on bikes around campus today... I saw a speeding garda car and a crapload of services head up towards a field near roebuck... any idea what was going on?

anyone have plans? Just about to head down to campus now and get my end of year drink on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

ah those eijits again... guessed as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

In fairness they're been sitting out on the pitches in trinners drinking all week without any hassle, it's just this silly admin getting their knickers in a twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

70 security guards brought in today (and quite a few yesterday) to clamp down on fun. Excessive? Then again, some complete idiots were setting fire to the skips in Belgrove, according to Scraggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I spent my day outside the gym on the grass which was absolutely fantastic. I didn't see any badness from security except when a fire was lit but then again what do you expect. Did anyone see anything fishy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

thought they were really cool, more interested in stopping mischief than stopping drinking

yeah, gotta say they were cool overall. they just let people have a good time, and I think the fact they were relaxed made everyone else less on edge and probably avoided trouble, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

what a fantastic day! the atmosphere was so good. best part was playing drunken football on the pitches!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

That was one hell of a good day. Felt exactly like a festival but with no tents. That's what rag week should be like methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Did anyone go into the pit? I've heard mixed reports but apparently it was full of D4s-the B&L/C&E types.

Wouldn't have gone in there had you payed me-expensive alcohol, not able to play games, no sugar! Tsh all the fun was to be had on the fields :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I was in the pit from about 3 til 9 and it was savage! The only crap thing was the que to the bar was massive, so I was drinking pints of Fosters :( It was the best day that I've had in ages! I dont know why I left, I ended up getting hammered and went to a house party and then into town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

meeeeeummmm! tree huggin' hippy crap!

gubbie wrote:
    Did anyone go into the pit? I've heard mixed reports but apparently it was full of D4s-the B&L/C&E types.

Wouldn't have gone in there had you payed me-expensive alcohol, not able to play games, no sugar! Tsh all the fun was to be had on the fields :)

now now. some of us b+l'ers were in the fields!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

Nah last day of term is for people to have fun. Some people will organise stuff some will just turn up. There were so many people on the fields that services couldnt do much. the police only turned up coz yeah admin are a bunch of twits with stupid rules. but it was great craic. most of services were skulking in the woods waiting to watch girlies peeing....

only kidding...

people from admin and services read this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

the police only turned up coz yeah admin are a bunch of twits with stupid rules.

People were bleeding... There was an ambulance... I had a can thrown at me... "Fires set, broken glass all over the football pitch (which is now going to have to be reploughed, according to Services who are understandably furious), and overturned vending machines in the library building, which was nearly closed due to the amount of drunk people coming in."

Methinks it's not all that simple... :confused:

there was glass on the pitch? i was running around in bare feet all day and didnt see any glass at all! but i did end up busting my toe open on the pavement outside the library on the way back to the glen. that was fun! i'm loving my sexy stitches and disgusting antibiotics!

hmmmm... broken glass all over the pitch is a bad, for sure, but on the whole I have to say I encountered no real trouble bar lots of littering and some isolated messing.

I mean, what confuses me the most is, Trinity do something not entirely different every week (The Pav), and recently the Pav has been super busy on a friday. Yet, at the same time, it only seems to take 4 or 5 security guards to clear people out and move them on when they want to close up, with very little or no trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

mloc wrote:
    hmmmm... broken glass all over the pitch is a bad, for sure, but on the whole I have to say I encountered no real trouble bar lots of littering and some isolated messing.

I mean, what confuses me the most is, Trinity do something not entirely different every week (The Pav), and recently the Pav has been super busy on a friday. Yet, at the same time, it only seems to take 4 or 5 security guards to clear people out and move them on when they want to close up, with very little or no trouble.

If UCD had a similar system to the Pav, there wouldn't be any problems. It's because we can't drink outside that we want to do so, so badly and that's how occurences like the other day happen. I had a great time though - noticed the fires alright and the litter, but didn't know about the over-turned vending machines and broken glass everywhere (People were rolling around that pitch all day - so there couldn't have been that much glass)!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Agreed CaptainNegative, if we didn't have to make the most of it every time we drank outside then it wouldn't happen :p

That said, if anyone was really sensible I think they'd realise that if they didn't cause too much of a fuss by drinking outside the admin wouldn't see it isn't an issue. But no, fires *have* to be lit, and vending machines *have* to be overturned.

Well TBH, thats the exact problem I have with craic soc. There are people, and even societies, who regularly and without incident drink cans around campus. But no, craic soc have to have conflict and agro and stick it to the man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

The thing about the Pav is that students go around with bags on their own accord and are constantly cleaning the place up as the night goes on. Its normal for them to be able to buy cans and drink so its not a big deal. Only in UCD where students are treated like children is outdoor a problem. Pen people in all year, and hell when they get out they'll act like children.

On the craic soc thing well craic soc were drinking probably the furthest away from the mayhem, and were among the best behaved groups [playing football for gods sake]. To blame them for all this is just the usual nonsense attacks people throw out.

I've seen a lot of last days at this stage, and I still cannot believe how UCD students get only one day of the year like it when colleges all over the place do this causually on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Well TBH, thats the exact problem I have with craic soc. There are people, and even societies, who regularly and without incident drink cans around campus. But no, craic soc have to have conflict and agro and stick it to the man.

It's unfair to blame craic soc. Half the college were either at the pit or down on that field on Friday and I assure you that craic soc were not the first group to be drinking on that field. They were over at the other side of campus and services moved them over to the field with the rest of us a bit later on.

the vending machine was actually a rather elaborate accident and from what I've heard probably would have happened anyway.

I've been in the pav the last few fridays, and the atmosphere is great... relaxed, good fun and generally good willed. It was great to be able to do similar on friday in ucd, but the novelty aspect of it seemed to make people go a bit mad. If it was a regular occurance and better organised, then I think it may have not been quite as... messy.

Wow, Im not blaming them, Im not giving them any credit :)

Ive been to a few craic soc things and drank with a few of them times other than their events [sic] and frankly I find there "us V them" thing rediculous. The college isnt out to get us and if you're mature you wont get hassle.

Petty vandalism and harrasment. And the mixing of politics and drink. Big no nos IMO and thats why I didnt go to it this year. I dont know who ran it (well, one name was brought up) but the origional craic soc ppl have all left college.

Im not saying they were involved in any crap on friday, just that I think the fight teh powaa mentality that caused **** is how I'll always think of craicsoc.

Though, my big complaint of them last year was there lack of discretion, and a bigger effort was made this year to leave it sekrit, but still gardaí were there before kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

The craic soc group was like a little oasis of calm away from the mayhem on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Wow, Im not blaming them, Im not giving them any credit :)

Ive been to a few craic soc things and drank with a few of them times other than their events [sic] and frankly I find there "us V them" thing rediculous. The college isnt out to get us and if you're mature you wont get hassle.

Petty vandalism and harrasment. And the mixing of politics and drink. Big no nos IMO and thats why I didnt go to it this year. I dont know who ran it (well, one name was brought up) but the origional craic soc ppl have all left college.

Im not saying they were involved in any crap on friday, just that I think the fight teh powaa mentality that caused **** is how I'll always think of craicsoc.

Though, my big complaint of them last year was there lack of discretion, and a bigger effort was made this year to leave it sekrit, but still gardaí were there before kick off.

what petty vandalism and harrassment were craic soc ever responsible for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

mloc wrote:
    the vending machine was actually a rather elaborate accident

It'd be really funny if there was someone stuck in it now and no-one bothered to check. Surviving on Hunky Dory's and Picnics and waiting for the Bank Holiday Weekend to end!

Well, funny or bad... You'd never eat sweets again would you?

Vainglory wrote:
    what petty vandalism and harrassment were craic soc ever responsible for?

What a stupid question. How do they advertise their events?

There was even a fundraiser to help pay for their fines last year.

lol man, that was nothing to do with craicsoc. i know the guy who was caught doing that. and definitely nothing to do with craicsoc, trust me.

for a start he wasnt even a student and hadnt been for quite a few years.

edit:this post is a bit out of place now as the post it was referring to is now gone.

• Advertisement

What a stupid question. How do they advertise their events?

There was even a fundraiser to help pay for their fines last year.

what are you talking about? as far as im aware they advertised using a bebo page?

and because they were fined doesnt mean they were responsible for "petty vandalism and harrassment"

Advertisement