Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

QOTSA - era vulgaris

• 04-05-2007 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭

This one is coming very soon, cant wait. I have heard two of the songs, sick sick sick and 3s and 7s. Not mad about 3s and 7s but the other one is great.

The song 'era vulgaris' was sent out to some fans with a note saying to distribute it however they saw fit pretty much. has vocals from trent reznor on it. It wont be on the album itself though. not a bad track either.

there is also a video of Josh performing 'into the hollow' a while back which was a song from a side project he had with Chris Goss.

there is another song which is off a desert sessions cd too but Im not sure which one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah, I really am looking forward to it. One of my most anticipated albums of the year, along with Zeitgeist by Smashing Pumpkins. Sick Sick Sick is a cool song, but also like 3's and 7's.

Would love to hear a proper version of Era Vulgaris sometime, cos the video on youtube looked cool. That is, if its the same song.

The video of Into The Hollow wasnt great quality, but still sounded decent. Chris Goss performed on the album R a few times, so he's no stranger to the QOTSA business.

The Desert Sessions song is Make It With'chu AFAIK. Thats also on the live album. Not a huge fan of it, but maybe they altered it slightly for this version.

Love the lightbulb, funny looking thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Not sure if I can post a link to the song era vulgaris but it is freely available. I have it myself and it aint bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

just heard them and i have to say not too bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Been counting down the days to this one for a while. QOTSA have been my favourite band for about 3 years now.

Have heard 3's and 7's, not bad. Haven't heard any of the other stuff yet. Am just hoping the album will make its way onto the internet before long so we all don't have to suffer another 6 weeks of torturous waiting. God damn I hate waiting for things.

Any word of a tour of some description after the summer?

dont know really they are on the festivals mainly and im not going to any festivals just to see them. Would love a small show.

• Advertisement

Yeah, why dont they play any small gigs over here? The last one was the Ambassador in my pre-QOTSA days. When over in London in 2005, i thought they may pop over then, but no deal there. They would be big enough for their own gig wouldnt they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

it seems like that music festival that happens to be on in a certain race track will be their only foray into ireland, i seen them in '05 and i'm raging that i cant see them this year as none of my friends got tickets, so i sold mine.

* i hope i'm not violating the mcd ban *

Actually, if they do end up doing some small time London shows from end of August onwards, I'd probably go, because the bus is only €35 return, and it'd be well worth it. Fair enough, I see them for over an hour this year, but I want to see them at their own show, where they'd play random stuff more so. Not just all the crowd pleasers for a festival-style crowd. Maybe a proper European tour later in the year, would love to see them, small venue, typical Irish crowd of going mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 RickJames

There last album was a bit gick though in fairness to them. If I was to be brutally honest i'd actually say it was a steaming pile of ****e but maybe they can pull this one off. And, the production was absolutely horrendous aswell. Anyway, maybe this one will be good.

RickJames wrote:
    There last album was a bit gick though in fairness to them. If I was to be brutally honest i'd actually say it was a steaming pile of ****e but maybe they can pull this one off. And, the production was absolutely horrendous aswell. Anyway, maybe this one will be good.

I wouldn't say it was sh*te but it was certainly below par and the worst of their 4 albums. The album certainly missed Nick Oliveri, this one probably will too unfortunately. Have listened to 3's and 7's a bit more. Really growing on me now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

As far as I know, as long as it's freely available, you can link to it, just to let you know.

Just listening to the song "You Know What You Did" from the new album. If you go there website, then into the store link at the top, choose the European one, and it will start automatically.

https://www.lo-fi-merchandise.com/catalog/index.htm

Actually, theres a link to the page. Its their official European section of their merchandise. Actually very liking that song.

the song is actually called 'era vulgaris' and was sent out to fans on a cd called 'you know what you did' with a note saying to share it how you please. trent reznor on vocals too. it wont be on the album though

So that song is called Era Vulgaris then? I was liking that. Hate the teasers on their myspace page. 4 different things, but all the same clip of the same song. Which song is that exactly? Has the kinda industrial sound on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

hmm not as excited as i should be about this to be honest.
    the last album really let me down, they seemed to be almost turning into a U2 style charicature of what they used to be, QOTSA by numbers if you wish.

Will give it a listen when it comes out, because on form they can beat any band in the world hands down, but im not holding my breath....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Lost interest in them after rated R. It was pretty crap aside from a few songs, and SFTD was great on first listen but got old pretty quickly. Didnt bother with the last album and i doubt ill bother with this, Self titled debut FTW.

Eh are you mad? Song for the deaf was one of the best albums of the last 10 years. Rated r was amazing too.

Could see where this thread was going haha! Songs for the Deaf was an out-and-out rock album, and probably one of the last ones that I've enjoyed so much. It was so heavy, but yet so brilliantly done. Sometimes I think to myself that I should hate No One Knows, cos its been heard way too many times. Then I think about the chorus drumming for that song. It hasnt been equalled in a long time, and may not be for another long time. It was fast, rythmic, i'd even say orgasmic:p All the other songs are just great, genuine rock songs.

As for Rated R...genius. Have the two cd's for it upstairs in the cd player now. Better Living Through Chemistry=amazing riff. I'm even beginning to enjoy I Think I Lost My Headache. The second cd with it is cool. You're So Vague, very Kyuss-esque, just with Josh on vocals. I like it.

For self-titled, personally its not my favourite of theirs. But there sure some amazing songs on it. If Only for example. Plain, easy, nothing fancy...doesnt need to be.

Lullabies to Paralyse: I like it. Some genuinly good songs on it. Yes, fair enough, changed ways. No Nick=loss of aggressiveness, so I can see why people arent a huge fan of it. But songs like Somones in the Wolf...they're very good songs. Only song I dont really like is In My Head.

If the new album can be a mix of the others, it'll be a very good album. It'll be interesting to see what happens with it. Appears highly repetative, but thats one reason why I enjoy them. They do it in a good way.

forgot to give you a heads-up here actually. On Sunday, some show on Today FM played Sick Sick Sick. The last time I listened to the radio with purpose was to hear Hetfield on it(yes, February 06), so by the time I found the aerial, got it tuned in, listened to Lyric FM for 5 mins...I missed it. They opened the show with it. Anyone hear it here?

For me rated R is a far better album than Songs for the deaf, which for me dies out around half way through and gets a little bit boring.
    i didnt like Lullabies at all at all

The first album was a cracker, although nowhere near as good as rated R.

The new album, who knows....I'm interested, but not excited.
    I've seen too many bands turn into bland versions of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Can't wait for this album. QOTSA have been my favourite band since i first heard them when SFTD came out. A classic album that i never once got bored of. Every song on the album is classic. The drum work amazing.

I agree with Lullabies being their weakest album. It was just lacking something and its like josh was trying to be wierd for the sake of it. Still some great tracks on it though like Little Sister(Even though it was a song that didn't make it onto sftd) and Someones in the Wolf.

Personally i'd rate the first album over the second though. Rated R just seemed to be all over the place or something.

From what i've heard of era vulgaris is seems good but it doesn't look like they'll be topping SFTD anytime soon. They could prove me wrong...Hopefully.

I'll be seeing them twice at festivals this summer and hopefully i'll get to see them doing their own show. Last time i seen 'em was slane '03.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

cool. thanks for pointing it out! didn't realise they'd an album coming out soon. can't wait for it.

Ok, I dont know how to embed videos in here, but take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wifo2BXxKs

This song is In The Hollow. I'm liking it, its very cool. You all should check out the other videos from the 100 club on youtube. They are class. Battery Acid is quite heavy, although i'd put that down to the size of the venue. Still sounds cool

Mushy wrote:
    Ok, I dont know how to embed videos in here, but take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wifo2BXxKs

This song is In The Hollow. I'm liking it, its very cool. You all should check out the other videos from the 100 club on youtube. They are class. Battery Acid is quite heavy, although i'd put that down to the size of the venue. Still sounds cool

I hate youtube videos....why do people seem to think that a badly recorded segment captured on a mobile phone with awful sound quality is good enough for me to waste my time watching?!?!

On a side note....the start of that song sounded like a T Rex Cover....weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Eirebear wrote:
    I hate youtube videos....why do people seem to think that a badly recorded segment captured on a mobile phone with awful sound quality is good enough for me to waste my time watching?!?!

On a side note....the start of that song sounded like a T Rex Cover....weird!

Theres some good video's up there too.

Eirebear wrote:

Oh...sorry. Should have got the the official cd sounding version then:rolleyes: The videos are good, get a good feel for how the songs go

Mushy wrote:
    Oh...sorry. Should have got the the official cd sounding version then:rolleyes: The videos are good, get a good feel for how the songs go

relax dude, wasnt having a dig at you...just a general rant about you tube...thats allowed isnt it? ;)

^^Of course it is! Sure ya dont even have to watch the videos in this case, its not some humour I'm linking to. Play it, and switch on something else.

If anybody is on that, check this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehoFhnCoZXA

This isnt actually on the album, no idea why though. What are peoples thoughts? I think thats a great song, and if that cant make it on the album..well I dont know what to expect then.( And no, it isnt a crappy camera phone video, just a whole slide show)

Anyone see the video for Sick Sick Sick yet? Kinda ok-ish, although one thing I dont like about it is it appears Josh is doing Julian Casablancas part.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of sick sick sick. The other songs I've heard are better, including Era Vulgaris which didn't make the album.

• Advertisement

Sick Sick Sick is a really good song. Still think Battery Acid and Into The Hollow are better. I bet ya QOTSA will a UK bonus track edition thing for Era Vulgaris, which will include the song You Know What You Did(Era Vulgaris). Also liking the new bass player...appears to have a good stage presence, much better than Johannes anyway.

Advertisement