Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf 1.4 TSI 140 BHP - Opinions?

Options
  • 04-05-2007 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

What do you make of this car lads? It seems very pacey...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Wouldnt fancy having to pay for both a turbo and a supercharger if they went wrong!You would be talking about €5k to get them replaced.
    Wait till next year. There is a 1.4 TFSI(only a turbo this time) with 125 bhp IIRC, not a lot less, and certainly a much less complicated engine and a lot more economical at an average of 47.9 mpg vs the TSIs 39 mpg IIRC, and the Golf is being replaced next year, so you will have to endure a lot more depreciation if you buy now too. If the salesperson says that the car isnt being replaced, hes lying to you, the new version should be here at the start of 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i would go for the 170 bhp, not 140, i have test drove it and its a big difference from a normal 1.4 golf

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

I actually have the 140 TSI DSG Golf and find it very quick with a great sound when accelerating.

I've test drove them both before buying the 140bhp and it was much smoother with plenty of torque all over the dial. The 170 just seems jerkier - maybe it's just that bit too much for a 1.4 litre engine.

Overall I'm delighted with the car, the build quality is excellent - it feels worth every cent that I paid and more.

The new Golf is due out in late 2008 - it shouldn't impact too much on the value of a well specced 07 Golf. Even the Mark IV's are still expensive.

By the way - on motorway runs I get approx 51mpg (hard to believe but I've got that result over several weeks). Around town gets early 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1.4 TSi Golf doesn't seem to be selling that well. I haven't seen that many of them on the road to be honest. Seen one 170bhp GT and it didn't look that great to be honest, for another few grand you could get the GTi.

Are insurance companies loading the 1.4 TSi engine? Hardly costs the same to insure as the 75bhp version.

bazz26 wrote:
    The 1.4 TSi Golf doesn't seem to be selling that well. I haven't seen that many of them on the road to be honest. Seen one 170bhp GT and it didn't look that great to be honest, for another few grand you could get the GTi.

Are insurance companies loading the 1.4 TSi engine? Hardly costs the same to insure as the 75bhp version.

I think the insurance is kinda of the same as its still a 1.4.

• Advertisement

drdre wrote:

Alot of insurance companies base their quotes on bhp as well as cc. The Mazda RX-8 is a 1.3 litre but has at least 192bhp and is not as cheap to insure as a Mazda 3.

bazz26 wrote:
    Alot of insurance companies base their quotes on bhp as well as cc. The Mazda RX-8 is a 1.3 litre but has at least 192bhp and is not as cheap to insure as a Mazda 3.

Yep you must be right, i dont know how the insurance companies work but i thought it was on the litre of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

I had a 1.8 Volvo S40 until I changed to the 1.4 TSI - they gave me a €40 refund(I have 6 months left on the policy). I'm not sure what it would have been for a plain 1.4 though.

drdre wrote:
    Yep you must be right, i dont know how the insurance companies work but i thought it was on the litre of the car.

Lots of factors in their favour no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm currently driving a standard 1.4 comfortline...the 80bhp models...and as you know, it's real slow off the mark...so will this 1.4 tsi be like a rocket to me? :)

• Advertisement

cheesedude wrote:
    I'm currently driving a standard 1.4 comfortline...the 80bhp models...and as you know, it's real slow off the mark...so will this 1.4 tsi be like a rocket to me? :)

Yes, I had the normal 1.4 and i really liked this 170bhp golf.
    I dont know about the 140bhp.
    You can remap the 170bhp to around 200bhp for approx 500 euro :D , So it will be like a gti

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

drdre wrote:
    Yes, I had the normal 1.4 and i really liked this 170bhp golf.
    I dont know about the 140bhp.
    You can remap the 170bhp to around 200bhp for approx 500 euro :D , So it will be like a gti
    Chances are you can remap the 140 to 200 bhp too and save yourself 5K over the 170 model.

What does this "remapping" do to your insurance? Is it illegal?

cheesedude wrote:
    What does this "remapping" do to your insurance? Is it illegal?

As far as i know Its not illegal. You can tell your insurance company. Some remapping companies make sure that no one else can find out that its remapped.

Jesus if it's not illegal, you would have to do it...but then why would they make it stealth if it's not illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

drdre wrote:
    Its not illegal. You can tell your insurance company. Some remapping companies make sure that no one else can find out that its remapped.

Steady on there, giving people advice like that :rolleyes:

You got the first bit right, it is not illegal. Second bit is that you have to inform your insurance company. If you don't, your insurance company has every right not to pay out on a claim. And believe you me, if they can avoid paying out, they will

As for the third bit, that no one will ever know - are you prepared to find out the hard way? E.g. you are (partly! - imagine a kid jumping in front of your car while you are doing less than 30km/h in a residential zone) responsible for a crash which disables someone. If you are found to be (partly) liable and you have no valid insurance, you will never own anything in your life. Nearly all of your income (apart from the amount needed to feed you basically) will be confiscated before it hits your bank account. No credit cards, no mortgage, no holidays - until you die

Think about that...

unkel wrote:
    As for the third bit, that no one will ever know - are you prepared to find out the hard way? E.g. you are (partly! - imagine a kid jumping in front of your car while you are doing less than 30km/h in a residential zone) responsible for a crash which disables someone. If you are found to be (partly) liable and you have no valid insurance, you will never own anything in your life. Nearly all of your income (apart from the amount needed to feed you basically) will be confiscated before it hits your bank account. No credit cards, no mortgage, no holidays - until you die

Think about that...

I dont think i will ever get a remap :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Clarkson loved the 167bhp veresion :D

Here.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I haven't read your link, HF, but I remember the review he did for the Sunday Times. He thought it was crap. But never mind him, I suggest any potential buyer try it themselves
    drdre wrote:
    I dont think i will ever get a remap :confused:

Don't take it the wrong way, drdre! Remaps are a great idea if you live in a country with a very moderate climate like Ireland. It's quite possible to get a substantial performance boost for very little money without ever risking to damage the engine more than without having it remapped.

Just make sure you inform your insurance company and get them to reply back to you in writing!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

drdre wrote:
    As far as i know Its not illegal. You can tell your insurance company. Some remapping companies make sure that no one else can find out that its remapped.

Why would anyone do an "invisable" remap other than to attempt to defraud an insurer? :confused:

• Advertisement

Here.

Sure that clown didn't even know what the "W" button was in the car, he said he found it hard to overtake a mercedes van. The "W" button turns on traction control in winter conditions which is what Jeremy didn't have on...I'll be test driving this badboy as soon as the dealers are open again so I'll let u know if it's a pile of **** as Jeremy Fat Boy Clarkson says...

drdre wrote:

I think you are kinda all wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

bazz26 wrote:
    But the RX-8 is a 1.3 Wankler engine, whichi is generally regarded as a 2.6 equivalent.

It's taxed as such too.

Was considering getting a Golf GT as we need something with four doors. Has the TSI got four doors? We don't really need 170bHP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Both the 140 & 170 can be ordered in 3 & 5 door - younger brother has one, smashing car.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I think you are kinda all wrong.

I don't think he is, unless they specifically pick out a certain model to insurance load a lot of insurers purely go on engine size.

A friend got an s3 recently and was quoted the same insurance as for the 2.0T version and there is 70bhp or so in the difference.

Also I'd steer clear of the GT for the moment, the rumour is that they are going to revamp it as people don't think it is different enough from the std model. Minor enough cosmetic changes but could make a diff to reselling it..

cheesedude wrote:
    Jesus if it's not illegal, you would have to do it...but then why would they make it stealth if it's not illegal?

having it 'stealth' allows you to remap back to the factory settings before you sell it on or get your car serviced. It's not that they go out of the way to make it 'stealth' asuch, most maps now are purely a download to the cpu (at least on VAG cars) there is no modification to the car at all so it is just invisible to
    the user. The insurance compnay could check this if you were in an accident though so you couldn't really defraud them anyway.I understand it is mainly a method of protecting your warranty and preventing the dealer from having a catch all excuse for anything that may go wrong with your car..

copacetic wrote:
    I don't think he is, unless they specifically pick out a certain model to insurance load a lot of insurers purely go on engine size.

A friend got an s3 recently and was quoted the same insurance as for the 2.0T version and there is 70bhp or so in the difference.

Also I'd steer clear of the GT for the moment, the rumour is that they are going to revamp it as people don't think it is different enough from the std model. Minor enough cosmetic changes but could make a diff to reselling it..

He is. I work in that area. Any car with a "material" performace advantage will be more expensive to insure. 70bhp is certainly material.

Your friend with the S3 would want to reconfirm all is in order. I've heard stories about direct writers of motor insurance entering a higher performance model in their system as a more sedate one, simply because the higher performance derivative wasn't listed.

p.s. It's also much more expensive to buy than a cooking 1.4, so that would affect premiums too.

But the RX-8 is a 1.3 Wankler engine, whichi is generally regarded as a 2.6 equivalent.

By whom Mike? For VRT and road tax purposes it's (incorrectly) treated as 1755cc afaik.

copacetic wrote:
    having it 'stealth' allows you to remap back to the factory settings before you sell it on or get your car serviced. It's not that they go out of the way to make it 'stealth' asuch, most maps now are purely a download to the cpu (at least on VAG cars) there is no modification to the car at all so it is just invisible to
    the user. The insurance compnay could check this if you were in an accident though so you couldn't really defraud them anyway.I understand it is mainly a method of protecting your warranty and preventing the dealer from having a catch all excuse for anything that may go wrong with your car..

Sorry, but modding correctly invalidates warranties, and undeclared will jeopardise insurance.

I'm suspicious of anyone wishing to make chipping invisible. To me it's an encouragement to defraud.

• Advertisement

Sorry, but modding correctly invalidates warranties, and undeclared will jeopardise insurance.

I'm suspicious of anyone wishing to make chipping invisible. To me it's an encouragement to defraud.

I understand that if you used an approved mod supplier then it may not invalidate the warranty, there are number of approved partners in england.

Also I certainly never implied you shouldn't declare the mod to your insurance, where did you get that from? In fact I pointed out they can find out anyway

Again, people don't 'make' it invisible. It's just the way the modifications are done now. Are you suggesting an big sticker on the windscreen or something?

Advertisement