Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf 1.4 TSI 140 BHP - Opinions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So basically, the best thing to do to see if it will interfere with your quote is to ask your insurance company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

copacetic wrote:
    I understand that if you used an approved mod supplier then it may not invalidate the warranty, there are number of approved partners in england.

Also I certainly never implied you shouldn't declare the mod to your insurance, where did you get that from? In fact I pointed out they can find out anyway

Again, people don't 'make' it invisible. It's just the way the modifications are done now. Are you suggesting an big sticker on the windscreen or something?

Yes you are right, it doesnt void the car warranty

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

cheesedude wrote:
    So basically, the best thing to do to see if it will interfere with your quote is to ask your insurance company?

exactly, and call around a few too. It may vary from place to place based on Henrys info above..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

copacetic wrote:
    I understand that if you used an approved mod supplier then it may not invalidate the warranty, there are number of approved partners in england.

Also I certainly never implied you shouldn't declare the mod to your insurance, where did you get that from? In fact I pointed out they can find out anyway

Again, people don't 'make' it invisible. It's just the way the modifications are done now. Are you suggesting an big sticker on the windscreen or something?

Point taken ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

drdre wrote:
    Yes you are right, it doesnt void the car warranty

I'd be interested to see some proof of that. Not a tuners website btw. Something from the manufacturer would be best.

• Advertisement

I'd be interested to see some proof of that. Not a tuners website btw. Something from the manufacturer would be best.

I was told by a friend who owns a remapping company in dublin.Also why would it be void as in the uk/usa some dealers have partners to remap customers cars.

drdre wrote:
    I was told by a friend who owns a remapping company in dublin.Also why would it be void as in the uk/usa some dealers have partners to remap customers cars.
    How will it affect my insurance and warranty?

There is no change to any hardware on vehicle made after 1999 unless we advise you otherwise. Therefore there should be no effect on your insurance or warranty. Fantastic for younger drivers who's insurance is astronomical at the best of times - we sympathize with you totally! However we do advise you to ask your insurance company first if you are worried and do tell them if you have had the work carried out.

Taken from: http://www.turbotech.ie/faq.htm#war

cheesedude wrote:

yeah thats just one proof, there are many more people who state the same that it wont affect warranty.And why should it. Its not wrecking the car at all.

It's crazy, all they do is give the car a new configuration via software...so they don't mess with the engine at all...

cheesedude wrote:
    It's crazy, all they do is give the car a new configuration via software...so they don't mess with the engine at all...

Yeah , i dont know where henry is coming from. But thats his own opinion.
    I know a guy who got his new gti form 200 to 250 bhp. :)
    The power is unbelievable for such a small car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

But the RX-8 is a 1.3 Wankler engine, whichi is generally regarded as a 2.6 equivalent.

It's taxed as such too.

RX-8 is taxed as 1.8 litre and the insurance is mostly based on performance/bhp rather than the rotery engine design.

ciarsd wrote:
    Both the 140 & 170 can be ordered in 3 & 5 door - younger brother has one, smashing car.

Does he have the 140 or 170

I can't wait to test drive this car...If only the dealers were open today...

cheesedude wrote:
    I can't wait to test drive this car...If only the dealers were open today...

What dealer are you going to test drive it with .nearly all the dealers have it now.When i test drove it last year i was one of the first to test drive it as i rang most of the garages and they didnt have it and i found a test drive model with bradys so drove out to them. Really its a beautiful car.

Either in Stillorgan or Deansgrange Motors since they are beside where I am...

Sooner the better I get rid of my 1.4 Comfortline...don't get me wrong, great car in perfect nick, but I have had it for a few years now and need something with a bit more poke since that was my first car...

How long can you get for a test drive anyway? I ask because a mate of mine and myself want to test drive the R32 for the laugh one day and we rang up a dealer and they gave us the all clear since we blagged on the phone but how long do they give you and do they let you go on your own?

cheesedude wrote:
    Either in Stillorgan or Deansgrange Motors since they are beside where I am...

Sooner the better I get rid of my 1.4 Comfortline...don't get me wrong, great car in perfect nick, but I have had it for a few years now and need something with a bit more poke since that was my first car...

How long can you get for a test drive anyway? I ask because a mate of mine and myself want to test drive the R32 for the laugh one day and we rang up a dealer and they gave us the all clear since we blagged on the phone but how long do they give you and do they let you go on your own?

I dont think they will let you on your own and they wont give you a car for the whole day. Well i didnt get it for the whole day i got it for about 30-40 mins long drive as the sales guy was sound and thought i was going to buy it :)

drdre wrote:
    yeah thats just one proof, there are many more people who state the same that it wont affect warranty.And why should it. Its not wrecking the car at all.

As expected mere opinions and a "should" from a website.

I wanted something from a manufacturer. I bet you can't provide it.

Cars are made and sold as they are for a reason. Upping the engine power will put extra stress on various components without doubt.

I cannot see any manufacturer saying this is ok, and that your warranty will not be effected.

As expected mere opinions and a "should" from a website.

I wanted something from a manufacturer. I bet you can't provide it.

Cars are made and sold as they are for a reason. Upping the engine power will put extra stress on various components without doubt.

I cannot see any manufacturer saying this is ok, and that your warranty will not be effected.

I bet i can but im not arsed as i have exams coming up and have chicken pox :(
    A manufactuer wont say nothing as you have bought the car its not theirs now and also they have to give warranty.You dont even have to tell them that the car is chipped and they wont know

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

drdre wrote:
    I bet i can but im not arsed as i have exams coming up and have chicken pox :(
    A manufactuer wont say nothing as you have bought the car its not theirs now and also they have to give warranty.You dont even have to tell them that the car is chipped and they wont know

I don't know about that DrDre, it might be mentioned somewhere in the small print of the warranty terms and conditions.

If the modification caused damage to a component then the manufacturer would be well within their rights to refuse to fix/replace it. While some modifications are only software upgrades, the end result can be the same.

bazz26 wrote:
    I don't know about that DrDre, it might be mentioned somewhere in the small print of the warranty terms and conditions.

If the modification caused damage to a component then the manufacturer would be well within their rights to refuse to fix/replace it. While some modifications are only software upgrades, the end result can be the same.

In my opinion i think it will be perfect and warranty will remain.I dont see a problem really.

• Advertisement

I do, and more importantly than our conflicting opinions, so do Manufacturers.

I've checked 2 warranty's since.

Will someone just ring up an insurance company and find out?!?!?!?! And use this model of car too...a 1.4 140bhp TSI for the sake of arguement...

cheesedude wrote:
    Will someone just ring up an insurance company and find out?!?!?!?! And use this model of car too...a 1.4 140bhp TSI for the sake of arguement...

thats the best way. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Lads - if ye think that a dealer can't tell if your car has been chipped, ye're fooling yerselves.

And to people who think it does not void the warranty, perhaps reading the terms of a warranty wouldn't hurt.

Any manufacturer will instantly turn your motor down for engine related warranty work the second they see that it has been chipped.

So have deep pockets if you plan on going this route, or don't complain when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

drdre wrote:
    Does he have the 140 or 170

2s9oe35.jpg

ciarsd wrote:

Love the colour. :)

ciarsd wrote:

2s9oe35.jpg

Gorgeous colour, what colour is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Just thougt I would add that when I bought my car recently (seat leon 1.6 sport up ) quinn direct asked me whether I had had the seat approved after market bhp increase done to my car. Supposedly there is an aftersales tune performed by seat on the same 105bhp vag 1.6 engine. I was told that if i had that done it was then classed as a performance car and I would not get insurance. At the time I had been looking at the 1.4turbo golf as well.. when I mentioned it to quinn... again I was told that it was considered a performance car depite the fact that I argued it was 'only' a 1.4! She said that they are now takign into account bhp, power to weight ratio etc.... when classifying cars. It makes sense. Bikes have been this way for year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

cheesedude wrote:
    Gorgeous colour, what colour is that?

United Grey I think he said.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Just thougt I would add that when I bought my car recently (seat leon 1.6 sport up ) quinn direct asked me whether I had had the seat approved after market bhp increase done to my car. Supposedly there is an aftersales tune performed by seat on the same 105bhp vag 1.6 engine. I was told that if i had that done it was then classed as a performance car and I would not get insurance. At the time I had been looking at the 1.4turbo golf as well.. when I mentioned it to quinn... again I was told that it was considered a performance car depite the fact that I argued it was 'only' a 1.4! She said that they are now takign into account bhp, power to weight ratio etc.... when classifying cars. It makes sense. Bikes have been this way for year!

this is hard to believe since tuning the non turbo 1.6 only gets you 10 extra bhp or so? hard to believe they won't insure a 115bhp car?

Advertisement