Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf 1.4 TSI 140 BHP - Opinions?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

drdre wrote:
    Yes i have been in both 140 and 170bhp.I felt theres a difference in the 140-170bhp.The 170 felt more pokey and more fun the drive.

Which does donuts better? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Not funny.I would prefer the 170bhp as its got great preformance and fuel consumption for a 1.4 supercharged engine.

both being a front wheel drive cars I would say neither*:D

*Fake Reverse donuts don't count

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is the 140 still a pacy demon? Considering I'm going from the 1.4 90bhp verion...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

cheesedude wrote:
    Is the 140 still a pacy demon? Considering I'm going from the 1.4 90bhp verion...

compared to that it'd be like a rocket..

• Advertisement

Sweet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WaZaZg1vqg

That's a video clip of the 1.4 TSI 140bhp version doing 0 - 100

Lightning...

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

they are so much quicker than the standard 1.4, i'd love to try the 170 bhp version, i'd say its very similiar to a Gti

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pete6296

Hi,
    I have my tsi 140 bhp for 4 months now and it is the best buy ever! I previously had a standard 1.4, difference now is serious power with pretty much the same fuel consumption depending on how you drive of course.
    Tax is the same and my insurance is identical to a standard 1.4 Golf, informed insurance company that it was 140bhp but premium stayed the same.
    It has a twin exhaust, a pity it cannot be seen.
    Pete

pete6296 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have my tsi 140 bhp for 4 months now and it is the best buy ever! I previously had a standard 1.4, difference now is serious power with pretty much the same fuel consumption depending on how you drive of course.
    Tax is the same and my insurance is identical to a standard 1.4 Golf, informed insurance company that it was 140bhp but premium stayed the same.
    It has a twin exhaust, a pity it cannot be seen.
    Pete

Yeah I have one too...it's a brilliant car. I was in the 170 too and didn't notice too much of a difference...apart from the fact the 170 looks better with the double exhaust and larger alloys but i still love my 140...

Its a pity we can't modify so you can see twin exhausts.
    Was your insurance the same as for a 1.4
    Thanks

• Advertisement

oh really? You can't modify it? **** one...i wanted to do that...oh well

My insurance went up a few hundred if i remember...

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

I've had mine now for six months. I love it aswell - even managed to get 56mpg out of it one day on the motorway - driving like a granny of course:D

cheesedude wrote: »
    oh really? You can't modify it? **** one...i wanted to do that...oh well

My insurance went up a few hundred if i remember...

My insurance was only 310 euro fully comp. Brillant
    Has anyone modified there tsi so you can see twin exhausts?
    Peter

Yeah but i'm 23...:D

Yeah but i'm 23...:D

Im 23 Just got myself a 07 GTI cheaper than the cheapest gt.:)
    The gti are amazing cars but drink petrol

U bought an 07 GTI for cheaper than a GT?

You defo didn't get it cheaper than what I paid for it! That's a fact right there...;)

U bought an 07 GTI for cheaper than a GT?

You defo didn't get it cheaper than what I paid for it! That's a fact right there...;)

Why do you work for VW :) I dont and i got the gti for in the low twenties now thats cheap compared to the normal list price of approx 35k

I would still prefer the gt as its cheap on fuel, tax and insurance and nearly same power.I might sell the gti and get a top spec gt.

dre I'm gonna call BS on that unless you can explain how you saved 13k or so?!?!?
    write off?

copacetic wrote: »
    dre I'm gonna call BS on that unless you can explain how you saved 13k or so?!?!?
    write off?

For me to know and you to find out :), Its not a write off.
    Its true.You can see it if you wish in real life,i can meet up with you.i have put up a pic.

I recognise the location, will keep an eye out for it next time I am down there for my dinner! not saying you haven't got one, querying the price..

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    I recognise the location, will keep an eye out for it next time I am down there for my dinner! not saying you haven't got one, querying the price..

Heheh, Im there everyday so ur welcome to come and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

I would love the 140bhp version but Quinn don't seem to want to quote me according to their online site. I'm 21, driving&insured 1 year in Jan on full license. I don't understand how they'll give me a 2k fully comp quote on a 150bhp 147?

su_dios wrote: »
    I would love the 140bhp version but Quinn don't seem to want to quote me according to their online site. I'm 21, driving&insured 1 year in Jan on full license. I don't understand how they'll give me a 2k fully comp quote on a 150bhp 147?

Ring Hibernian and get a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

drdre wrote: »
    Why do you work for VW :) I dont and i got the gti for in the low twenties now thats cheap compared to the normal list price of approx 35k

I would still prefer the gt as its cheap on fuel, tax and insurance and nearly same power.I might sell the gti and get a top spec gt.

it aint at all cheap on fuel , have a dsg 140bhp version and it drinks like a fish !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

drdre wrote: »
    Ring Hibernian and get a quote.

Just checked their online site and it only asks for make and engine size.. so I got a quote which I doubt would stand but its also an awful quote if its just a 1.4. Hmm I'll have to look around. This would be the only off putting thing about getting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Sony are givin away those GTI's with every 1 million memory card sold!!

;)

Sony are givin away those GTI's with every 1 million memory card sold!!

;)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

hey guys i'm going to buy a gt. whick one should I buy is the 170bhp really worth it over the 140bhp.

Also why can't you modify the exhaust on the 140bhp one.

And last question is remapping the car illegal or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

briman1983 wrote:
    hey guys i'm going to buy a gt. whick one should I buy is the 170bhp really worth it over the 140bhp.

Drive both, get some quotes, do the sums. Everyone is unique in their needs/wants.
    briman1983 wrote:
    Also why can't you modify the exhaust on the 140bhp one.

I'm guessing you can, although you will be botching the original one as it probably needs to be cut, and a twin pipe back box welded in? Definitely not worth doing for the sake of an additional pipe for the 'look'. The fact that you've posted this has probably answered your first question - if the car is more for the way it looks then get the 140 :)
    briman1983 wrote:
    And last question is remapping the car illegal or not?

Nope, but it will void your warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Remapping, if undisclosed, will also render your insurance voidable.

Advertisement