Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB modem and 3

• 04-05-2007 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭

It IS coming and very soon.....it now features in the latest edition of the 3 magazine.

I have some exclusive information about it and will post soon when I get to sit down, pour myself a drink and be massaged gently by three Thai ladies (the last part is the fantasy of the old and bewildered.....).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

lol, good going there, should be pleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

comes with mandatory 12 month contract i guess.......

will they swap a redundant pcmcia card for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

The new modem should be released this month, hopefully next week.
    It will be called the 3DataModem.
    It is exactly the same as the Vodafone one and so will support Macs.
    The SIM provided with it will be a data only SIM –there will be no voice or SMS (even though the Vodafone version offered SMS within the software supplied).
    The DataModem/SIM will not roam on other networks onlike the datacard/SIM: it will roam on all other 3 networks worldwide including Israel(!).
    The datacard will remain on sale.
    Holders of the existing datacard can apparently migrate to the new tariff (TBA)
    The current tariff of 3GB will remain but the 250mb is going.
    The rumoured new tariff is 10GB @ 19€ a month.

More info as I get it.

legs11 wrote:

Well, of course it will, what's wrong with that?

There's every chance that you will be allowed to swap or upgrade at an advantageous rate, at least. Remember, be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Now if only I had a usb port on my phone then I'd be able to get the mobile broadband to work properly.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

i guess, the recent vodafone price reductions are to prepare for the new tariff from 3 and the launch of the O2 service, once both these occur we should really see good compeition, considering O2 are Vodafone's main competitor in the mobile market.

I can see the vodafone package going to 10GB soon and going from EUR40 down to EUR30, and keeping the SMS/Voice capability ( wonder if they will keep the USB Modem sims different to the datacard ones like 3 )

Fun Fun Fun

JNive wrote:
    )

Fun Fun Fun

"Until her daddy takes the T-Bird away....."

Now if only I had a usb port on my phone then I'd be able to get the mobile broadband to work properly.:rolleyes:

Ya wha?

The 3ireland.ie pages load ok but every day at some point I find that normal internet web pages aren't coming back - just a tcp error. There is always a noticeable delay as you wait for the widerweb to reformat the pages for mobile display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

culabula wrote:
    The current tariff of 3GB will remain but the 250mb is going.

More info as I get it.
    So at what price point will the 3000Mb be? im guessing they wont try and keep it the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

legs11 wrote:

Well upgrading any handset on any networks normally involves renewing a contract for 12 months or more. Whats new with that? Pretty much standard industry practise.........

So at what price point will the 3000Mb be? im guessing they wont try and keep it the same.

That's what I'd like to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

legs11 wrote:

The reason for the 12 month contract is that they are selling you a subsidised USB modem, data card or phone. So they need to be able to recoup the cost.

Now if you were to buy only the SIM card and supply your own equipment, or pay full whack for the equipment, there would be no contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I enquired about providing your own data card, or indeed a laptop with a built in HSPDA adaptor and I was told in no uncertain terms that "Three operates a policy of locked sims and only equipment supplied by Three can be connected to our network"

It kind of defeats the whole purpose of GSM/3GSM/UMTS !! i.e. the interchangable SIM.

That's not actually enforced, however they do currently force you to buy a subsidised handset or data card. Can't just get the SIM card on its own, unfortunately. In Italy, I see 3 are even selling subsidised laptops! :eek:

That's not actually enforced, however they do currently force you to buy a subsidised handset or data card. Can't just get the SIM card on its own, unfortunately. In Italy, I see 3 are even selling subsidised laptops! :eek:

Lets be very clear about this. Three post pay does enforce the locking of the sim to the handset / card. Idiots.

Lets be very clear about this. Three post pay does enforce the locking of the sim to the handset / card. Idiots.

How? Mine doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I think I'll be moving to a network who doesn't treat me like a criminal if I try to put my SIM into another handset and who doesn't treat me like crap generally.

I'm unbelievably unimpressed with them and I'm really sorry I signed a 12 month contract with them.

Their customer service is completely unprofessional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

culabula wrote:

More info as I get it.

Ok, now you've got my interest.

I wonder if there are Linux drivers for the USB modem? Probably not. Damn me for installing Linux on my laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

culabula wrote:
    The SIM provided with it will be a data only SIM –there will be no voice or SMS (even though the Vodafone version offered SMS within the software supplied).
    are you sure about that? the current datacard can be used to send sms and it would be odd to remove the feature for a usb modem which is also capable of it.

but this is 3 were talking about :rolleyes: i wouldn't put it past them
    culabula wrote:
    The DataModem/SIM will not roam on other networks onlike the datacard/SIM: it will roam on all other 3 networks worldwide including Israel(!).
    so they've crippled it for no apparent reason? why would they prevent the usb modem from romaing but not the datacard?
    how do you mean? your phone can be plugged into a usb port with a data cable
    tom dunne wrote:
    Ok, now you've got my interest.

I wonder if there are Linux drivers for the USB modem? Probably not. Damn me for installing Linux on my laptop.
    dual boot?

• Advertisement

are you sure about that? the current datacard can be used to send sms and it would be odd to remove the feature for a usb modem which is also capable of it.

but this is 3 were talking about :rolleyes: i wouldn't put it past them

so they've crippled it for no apparent reason? why would they prevent the usb modem from romaing but not the datacard?

As sure as I can be with official 3 Ireland instructions in my hand. I too am amazed they are blocking SMS but I believe they are really going to target the dispossessed of broadband and they don't want to confuse people. Just pure data, data, data-at home, on the move and there where you can't get fixed broadband. That appears to be their strategy. Keep it simple.

As for the roaming aspect your guess is as good as mine. I suppose that if they are going to go for households they don't want any extraneous charges prompting mass and wholesale returns such as we have seen so far -or at least massive complaints for bills of over 1200 euro etc.

Me, I just don't get the israel bit.

There seems to be a new '3' network in Indonesia. 3 Ireland seem to have confused that with the non-existent 3 Israel. So I guess we can take all other information with large pinch of coarse sea-salt too........

Heard about the new 3 network in Indonesia a few weeks (months?) ago, don't remember when exactly, but it was a little while ago. It's funny they mixed up Indonesia with Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

cula,

its 1,500e not 1,200e...........;)

legs11 wrote:
    cula,

its 1,500e not 1,200e...........;)

Wasn't actually referring to yours: a friend of mine got a bill last month for 1200€ plus.

Tuesday (14/05) is now the day mentioned for the USB modem launch. New tariffs as promised, but they are at this point remaining extremely tight-lipped.

lol, oh this is going to be fun :-) i just know it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

The Sunday Business Post had an article on this today ...

Price per month: 20 EUR
    DL Speed: 3.6 MB
    Cap: 10 GB
    usage above: 5c per MB
    cost of adaptor: 130 EUR
    Launch : "this week"

No word on what happens (????) to those who are paying 39 EUR for 3GB and 50c per MB after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Fungus wrote:

No word on what happens (????) to those who are paying 39 EUR for 3GB and 50c per MB after that.
    sounds very interesting. now all they need to do is train their staff in something other than how to say "i don't know" and they're sorted

• Advertisement

Fungus wrote:

As I have posted, migration WILL be allowed (according to official in-house bumph).

Advertisement