Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB modem and 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

culabula wrote:
    As I have posted, migration WILL be allowed (according to official in-house bumph).

OK ... so you just have to phone them and ask ???

The article in the SBP also said that they will launch a package with an unlimited cap is early 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

culabula wrote:
    Tuesday (14/05) is now the day mentioned for the USB modem launch. New tariffs as promised, but they are at this point remaining extremely tight-lipped.
    i don't know if your info is 100% reliable because tuesday's the 15th :D

i was just on the 3 website checking my upgrade eligibility. i put in my account number and DOB and then it said it had sent a password to my phone to get to the upgrade store that i had to enter in the next 15 minutes. i don't actually want to upgrade, i just wanted to see what they're offering.

anyway, the text never arrived so i rang up and asked what the story was. he went and asked (as they do when you ask anything other than "what is your name") and he came back with: "the text should arrive in the next hour"

i reminded him that the password is only valid for 15 minutes. he said it'll that its been happening a lot and it works anyway. so here i am an hour later and, would you believe it, no text. i just want to go to mumbai and give these people a big hug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

And I have heard Apple will be releasing a new laptop on Tuesday as well. Maybe I will buy it along with the 3 USB modem and €19/10GB plan that will also come out on Tuesday. :D

Ah, rumours. Nothing beats the anticipation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

And I have heard Apple will be releasing a new laptop on Tuesday as well. Maybe I will buy it along with the 3 USB modem and €19/10GB plan that will also come out on Tuesday. :D

Looks like there's every chance of new offerings from Apple, though.

• Advertisement

i don't know if your info is 100% reliable because tuesday's the 15th :D

Well spotted! Legs11 gets me all confused! Anyway, they told me the 13th, which is today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

cula,

still not convinced they will sort out this 10gig cap and a usb modem this week.

i could get a return flight to mars and back before they do i bet........:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Hummm, interesting................I have a few problems with this though, it has been stated on the boards by culabula (I think he secretly runs Three from an evil layer just outside Knock Shrine) that they are thinking about or going to abandon all credit checks and hand these things out like flyers for a night club...............What is that going to do to the already crippled "Customer Service"?

Its hard enough to get something simple done right now when they only have 20 customers, imagine when they get more, which they will with this deal (unless vodafone plan to counter this, which i assume they will)............Its going to make an already frustrating experience unbearable!

Oh and to cap things, I got a text on my SIM in my data card today, telling me that the bill is not paid, which of course it is, and two voice mail, which of course i cant listen to as i dont have a 3G phone and dont know my voicemail password, and dont want to know it as this means talking to the Robots in India.......................Bless them, they are about to get a roasting from the new customers when things go wrong, which of course they will.

And we have confirmation from another source! The Sunday Business Post says 3 will be launching a mobile broadband product for €20 a month "this week".

There is also a mention on ENN.

Pricing information:
    €130 one time (presumably for the modem) + €20 a month with a 12-month contract. Over the 12 months, that works out as €30.83 a month. Data volume will be limited to 10GB, which seems quite reasonable.

So in brief: for €30.83 a month, you get a 3.6 Mbps connection with 10 GB data volume. If 3 do not somehow manage to mess this up, it looks like they could finally be gaining some market share.

• Advertisement

What page on Sunday Business Post?

legs11 wrote:
    cula,

still not convinced they will sort out this 10gig cap and a usb modem this week.

i could get a return flight to mars and back before they do i bet........:D

It's people like you wot cause unrest!

It's still coming this week but they are now saying it won't be in tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

i am being realistic, if was onto a dude today, and in broken english he said sometime this month (for all this new price plan)
    and how do they propose to monitor someones usage (ahem),

well, they have stopped my data card now the cnuts,

cula, what happens ur mates bill for 1,200, is he a csi nut also?
    btw, i got every show from every season now to save you some $$$$$:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Pricing information:
    €130 one time (presumably for the modem) + €20 a month with a 12-month contract. Over the 12 months, that works out as €30.83 a month. Data volume will be limited to 10GB, which seems quite reasonable.

So in brief: for €30.83 a month, you get a 3.6 Mbps connection with 10 GB data volume. If 3 do not somehow manage to mess this up, it looks like they could finally be gaining some market share.

Err, no, it works out at 20 euro a month. A lot of companies have an initial hardware fee. You can't include that in the monthly bill to somehow try and belittle what they are offering.

i am being realistic, if was onto a dude today, and in broken english he said sometime this month (for all this new price plan)
    and how do they propose to monitor someones usage (ahem),

well, they have stopped my data card now the cnuts,

cula, what happens ur mates bill for 1,200, is he a csi nut also?
    btw, i got every show from every season now to save you some $$$$$:rolleyes:

He's still trying to work it out, neither he nor 3 know. me, I blame it on his kids. I warned him, but he didn't listen. Someone telling porkies somewhere.

I guess they will monitor a person's usage the same way they always do; by the s/w for Windows supplied with the yoke or via 333/Planet 3/My3. Updated at around 00:10 every 24 hours.

Why have they stopped your datacard now?

There is no such thing as a 'CSI nut', there is only you. How could you save me €?

:-)

Err, no, it works out at 20 euro a month. A lot of companies have an initial hardware fee. You can't include that in the monthly bill to somehow try and belittle what they are offering.
    sure you can. some give free hardware and some don't so you take the total money you're going to give them over the year. also, €130 is the most any company takes as a harware cost. if they took no connection fee and €30.83 a month you'd pay them exactly the same amount but they didn't want to advertise it like that

if they took €1000 connection fee and €1 a month could i include it then :p

I don't think he was trying to 'belittle' anything -he's just pointing out what the real cost is over a year. Sure, there's a charge for the hardware and it's still real money at the end of the day.

Yes. Just to be clear, I think it is a fantastic offer.

Whenever I sign up for something that involves a contract and subsidised hardware, like is the case here, I always calculate the average cost over the first 12 months. I think it makes a lot of sense to just sit down and figure out "okay, over the first 12 months, it is going to cost me X amount on average per month". Particularly because different mobile operators charge different subsidised prices for the same equipment. It is probably the best way to create a valid comparison.

Update: Here is a comparison:
    Vodafone: €48.24 a month
    Three: €30.83 a month

Both including their respective charges for the USB modem and calculated over the 12 month lifetime of the contract. I should note that 3's offer includes 10 GB, whereas Vodafone's only includes 5 GB. It's pretty easy to see who is the winner here.

It's pretty easy to see who is the winner here.
    true. the only drawback to the 3 offer is that its 3 and i'd be willing to bet they'll have some ridiculous condition that makes it useless.

and of course there's the robots in mumbai

• Advertisement

true. the only drawback to the 3 offer is that its 3 and i'd be willing to bet they'll have some ridiculous condition that makes it useless.

i

No voice and no SMS is the curious opener in their bizarre and ridiculous conditions.

When I speak, I speak the truth: http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/13612/

i

Oh and the other thing is, addition to NO VOICE or SMS, NO ROAMING! The new data SIM will only roam on other 3 networks worldwide. I think this is well worth repeating.

I think this is deffo a deal for the great unwashed; I'm willing to bet that Voice/SMS will work but I think they're going to put about the lie that they don't, to avoid Sean and Sinead Citizen and legs11 running up huge bills.

culabula wrote:
    No voice and no SMS is the curious opener in their bizarre and ridiculous conditions.
    i can sort of understand that. they're marketing it as broadband as opposed to any kind of phone based thing. i wouldn't expect clearwire to give me calls and texts or work in yemen for example.

having said that, it would have been nice and hopefully you'll be able to phone up and get it added on for a fee or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

Just called three and they confirmed the details over the phone but they aren't taking orders yet. All they could promise is that it would be within the month of may.

He also said the out of bundle rate is 5cent per meg. Which while still excessive is a hell of a lot better than it used to be.

Akula wrote:
    Just called three and they confirmed the details over the phone but they aren't taking orders yet. All they could promise is that it would be within the month of may.

He also said the out of bundle rate is 5cent per meg. Which while still excessive is a hell of a lot better than it used to be.

Excessive?

Called into the shop this afternoon, they're now saying Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

A few questions for the resident experts:

1) Will it be possible to get a 10GB/€20 contract but with the data card rather than the USB modem?

2) Does the model of data card 3 supply have an external antenna socket?

3) What would be the typical range of either 3G or HSDPA from a mast?

4) Do 3 maintain a list of masts that have been upgraded to HSDPA? The comreg siteviewer doesn't have any details, only 3G.

Thanks in advance!

Zaphod wrote:

1) Will it be possible to get a 10GB/€20 contract but with the data card rather than the USB modem?

3) What would be the typical range of either 3G or HSDPA from a mast?

4) Do 3 maintain a list of masts that have been upgraded to HSDPA? The comreg siteviewer doesn't have any details, only 3G.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure the answer to the first question, as for numbers 2,3 and 4, do a search all the three questions have been answered time and time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Not sure the answer to the first question, as for numbers 2,3 and 4, do a search all the three questions have been answered time and time again.

Searching boards using Boardtracker is akin to pi**ing against a particularly gusty wind. However, when I trawled through your posts I found a few answers:D

Q2
    Three are using the Huawei E630
    Presumably the E630 uses the same connector as the E620?

Q4
    Just wondering if they upgraded all their masts to HSDPA?
    Cabaal wrote:
    20th Feb from enn.ie - Irish mobile network Three claims to be the first mobile operator to upgrade its entire network to high speed broadband. Three said it will offer speeds of up to 3.6Mbps across its entire network, covering 85 percent of Ireland's population. "With speeds of up to 3.6Mb per second, Three is offering consumers the fastest mobile broadband speeds available," said managing director Robert Finnegan. "Three is a credible alternative to fixed line broadband and a catalyst for the uptake of broadband services in Ireland."

• Advertisement

Zaphod wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Have a look at my 2nd posting near the beginning of this thread where I revealed the information about the new and existing tariffs.

It appears datacard and new datamodem will exist side by side. The 3GB tariff will stay but I don't know what will happen to its price. It seems that existing users like myself will be allowed to migrate to the new tariff or more importantly, the new cap.

There is no socket on the datacard for an antenna that I can see.

If you were to get the new datamodem, keep your SIM and swap me the modem for my datacard I'd be forced to say that you were one dashed fine chap and a sporting individual. Interested?

Advertisement