Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB modem and 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

little hole beside the "3" logo on the datacard (on the side) for antenna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Walkman wrote:

Really?.....lemme go have a look, never use the thing.

Walkman wrote:

Good lord!! You are so right. I stand corrected. Never, ever noticed it before. I can only offer failing eyesight and insanity as excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

culabula wrote:

If you were to get the new datamodem, keep your SIM and swap me the modem for my datacard I'd be forced to say that you were one dashed fine chap and a sporting individual. Interested?

Why is the usb modem better than the datacard (i.e. say if the tariffs and limits were the same) ? Is it faster, more convenient ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

caster wrote:
    Why is the usb modem better than the datacard (i.e. say if the tariffs and limits were the same) ? Is it faster, more convenient ?
    i'd go with more convenient because laptops have a few usb ports but one pcmcia slot. its universal too in that you can put it into a desktop computer and some new laptops don't have pcmcia slots. it terms of the service they provide they're the same

• Advertisement

caster wrote:

There is no PC card slot on a MacBook and therefore the USB Modem is a much more desireable item for me. Speed should be the same, the datacard is HSDPA too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

Does the usb modem have an input for an antenna though? What kind of an antenna would you even use with it? Ie. Where would you buy one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

3 dont like you putting in a foreign sim card let alone hot wiring antennas to your roof to get better coverage, so i say no way will they have any diy options on it.

but i like the idea.........!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

quick question - maybe silly but...

using the 3 datacard (or usb modem when its out) can you surf to www.o2.ie and send an O2 webtext or would they have scuppered you from using other operators websites?

thanks

quick question - maybe silly but...

using the 3 datacard (or usb modem when its out) can you surf to www.o2.ie and send an O2 webtext or would they have scuppered you from using other operators websites?

thanks

You can surf to anywhere you want -it provides you with 'normal' access to the internet.

• Advertisement

legs11 wrote:
    3 dont like you putting in a foreign sim card

Explain yourself?

UPDATE!

Received from Three head office to my phone by SMS 5 minutes ago.

Modem will be in store tomorrow. They are offering to swap me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Thanks to culabula and Walkman for the info.

I came across a German website which has details on the various connectors for different 3G cards - a CRC9 type on the E620/630 cards. They also seem to suggest that you can solder an antenna connector to the the USB modem.

sorry if already been asked, but if you are not in a 3 HSDPA area and only gprs what type of speeds do you get and is it still included in the package? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

So will i be able to buy this tommorow from a 3 store

Psygnosis wrote:
    So will i be able to buy this tommorow from a 3 store

From 15:00 (allegedly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Smarmore

I was in the 3 store on Grafton Street yesterday and was told it would be released tomorrow as well. He wouldn't give me any information on pricing, usage limits, etc. but he said it would be considerably cheaper than Vodafone!! Although the details have already been printed in The Sunday Business Post so I don't understand what all the secrecy is about. Can't wait to get my hands on one though!!

sorry if already been asked, but if you are not in a 3 HSDPA area and only gprs what type of speeds do you get and is it still included in the package? thanks

Slower, variable and yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

where can I find out if I'm in a hsdpa area?

ablelocks wrote:
    where can I find out if I'm in a hsdpa area?

The modem itself uses different colours on its LED to let you know what flavour of broadband you're getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

culabula wrote:
    The modem itself uses different colours on its LED to let you know what flavour of broadband you're getting.

sorry, I meant geographically - as in is my house in a 2.5g or 3g area? The three map says 3g for the region, but is there any way of establishing it for certain for my locality before I buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ablelocks wrote:
    sorry, I meant geographically - as in is my house in a 2.5g or 3g area? The three map says 3g for the region, but is there any way of establishing it for certain for my locality before I buy?
    you can buy it and bring it back within two weeks if there's no coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

Called the three store in cork today. They said they got an email about it this morning but that they weren't expecting them to be in stock until closer to the end of the month. Irk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

that flight to mars is back on again so.......;)

I see that the 3 datacard in the uk allows you to roam internationally on other networks subject to a smaller limit - does this apply on the Irish data cards? Or to the usb modem for that matter?

legs11 wrote:
    that flight to mars is back on again so.......;)

Sacred Heart, can I see you off? Can I stick you onboard? Can I light the blue touchpaper?

I told ya, I got an SMS from 3 HQ today....it will be in Grafton Street tomorrow, from 15:00. Now, unless they are barking, I have no reason to disbelieve them.

As for Cork, I won't be going there until the 31/05, so I don't care when they get it.

I see that the 3 datacard in the uk allows you to roam internationally on other networks subject to a smaller limit - does this apply on the Irish data cards? Or to the usb modem for that matter?

Total waste of money that crap (70€ for 1GB!! and not even HSDPA) and I notice that since yesterday it is not so easy to navigate to it on their site, where it used to be quite prominent, so hopefully something's happening there too.

I have posted the rules on this at the start of this thread. The Irish 3datacard roams FOC on other 3 networks. It can roam onto other networks but usually gets kicked off owing to no data roaming agreements.

The 3datamodem will ONLY roam onto other 3 nets and nothing else, so no surprises.

ALL the data allocation is available to you on any other 3 network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

It's now tomorrow, and still no USB modem or €19.99 package... at least not yet.

Update: At least there is nothing yet on the web site as of 10 AM on Thursday morning.

Rang 3 Grafton Street - "next couple of days" - when I pushed them about it should be today they said it should arrive today - they just aren't sure if they can sell it on the system..

re the datacard - yes new prices "really good deal" but "I cant tell you yet"...

Edit - just rang Henry Street store - not in and won't be for a couple of weeks.....

• Advertisement

Rang 3 Grafton Street - "next couple of days" - when I pushed them about it should be today they said it should arrive today - they just aren't sure if they can sell it on the system..

re the datacard - yes new prices "really good deal" but "I cant tell you yet"...

Edit - just rang Henry Street store - not in and won't be for a couple of weeks.....

Well, I did post yesterday a couple of times that it would not be available until after 1500 today (allegedly). There is a possibility that only I may be allowed to have it (sorry!) with a launch scheduled for Monday. But it is coming in today and I was told on sale after that time.

As for the web site, i wouldn't, in the immortal words of Robert Zimmerman, "pay it no mind".

Advertisement