Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Champs - Worst in a While?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭patrickc

So getting thrown of a flite makes him a good laugh - mmmm interesting.

some people never let by gones be by gones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

Patrick2006 obvioulsy does not read all threads.

The comment was made by zuutroy describing how Higgins is a good laugh !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

So getting thrown of a flite makes him a good laugh - mmmm interesting.

Well what do you want him to do. Come out in a fez with a monkey and tell jokes for the whole session? I think the fact the he and Kendo went out on the booze together after Higgins LOST the final proves that he's not all doom and gloom. Much like Davis, when he's working he's deadly serious, when he's not....he's not!

I dont know what a fez is but the monkey idea sounds funny !

Dont want to get into an argument here but going out drinking when your upset and getting thrown off a plane does not prove to me he has a sense of humour !!

The whole point of me stating that Higgins was boring was about his snooker playing. No doubt he is good and a good break builder but he is not exciting, like White who for example when making a big break would run out of position and pull out a great shot to get him back into position. Or Selby who potted the red off the pink in the final. Higgins would never pull a shot like that. Like Hendry - very safe, very boring - but a very good player !!!

Selby's breaks were alot more interesting than Higgins !! In this final selby's snooker stands out alot more than Higgins IMO - even though he lost !!

• Advertisement

I think you've explained yourself now. Note that the bores like Higgins, Hendry and Davis have done a lot better than entertainers like White though.
    As for Selby being exciting, certainly true when he's in the balls, but the guy was slower than Fergal O'Brien in the safety exchanges. spent 2 mins deciding, then played the obvious shot.

BTW: A fez is one of those Turkish hats that Tommy Cooper used to wear!

Thats very true and a big pity (that bores have done alot better).

I know he was pretty slow with the safety but suppose was looking at all possibilities, coming from a pool background aswell !!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

I feel that the people who are calling the GREATS OF THE GAME bores dont really know what there talking about, Hendry is not boring, he gets in the balls and doesnt need to pull off exciting shots because he keep his head and plays the right shot every time, davis in his prime was the same, where as white and higgins had to frequently pull out the "exciting" shot, which risked loosing the frame, so if you ask me, id rather watch the higgins' and hendry's of the game on a day in day out basis, if you want excitement and trickshots may i suggest you start watching the likes of strickland and bustamante, but you'll probably call them bores too because they are successful on 9 ball
    Sure selbys shots where great but they were stupid at the same time, they were snooker hall shots not world final shots, 3 ball plants from 10 foot down the table may be all well and good but theyre not smart, especially when playing the 3rd highest maker of centuries of all times, because if you miss hes going to bury you...and he did in the end
    .....anyway, thats my rant over

^^^ what he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

What were they on about highest standard ever, the amount of silly misses they made, choking on nerves.. was unreal Dott/Ebdon last year was a much higher standard of snooker imo.

That's crap. The overall standard of snooker this year was phenomenal. When a player misses a simple ball because of pressure, it should not be taken out of context.

Remember Davis v Taylor in 1985? The standard of snooker throughout the final was top notch (for that time), but they could'nt pot a ball in the final frame.

Dott/Ebdon was a good match, but Selby and Higgins played snooker of a much higher standard throughout the final, one mistake usually being enough to cost them the frame.

The fact that so few of the "big names" fell early in the tournament just goes to prove how tought the game has got at the highest level. When qualifiers like Selby can reach the final it's only too obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Nuttzy wrote:
    I mean boring as in dry, there were loads of examples in that final match, Selby made a few jokeish remarks and Higgins barelt acknowledged them, when he did smile he nearly had to think twice about it. Even off the table hes boring, not much craic out of him.
    Have you seen him outside of snooker? My mate was in the players lounge at Celtic Park last Saturday. Higgins was there with his world championship trophy. He was drinking from 2 o'clock and supposedly had a great laugh with the players after the match.

Of all the players Higgins is probably the one I'd most like to have a pint with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

eirebhoy wrote:
    Have you seen him outside of snooker? My mate was in the players lounge at Celtic Park last Saturday. Higgins was there with his world championship trophy. He was drinking from 2 o'clock and supposedly had a great laugh with the players after the match.

Of all the players Higgins is probably the one I'd most like to have a pint with.
    i thought he had given up alcohol?:confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Aye, sure remember that incident with himself and Ken being kicked off the plane after the Malta Open 2005... don't think Ken was drunk but Higgins was certainly very...happy anyway.

Advertisement