Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally, something about UCD to hate more than Admin

Options
  • 04-05-2007 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭

Tis my last day of college. *sniff*.

I have exams in a week or so and am as about as stressed as any of you.

I had a duh moment and left my wallet where I was sitting in Hilpers at lunch today. Ten minutes later when I went back there was no sign. It wasn't handed in to Services or the Arts Cafe staff. I can only assume opportunist robbery. Have now spent my last day of college cancelling atm and credit cards and will spend this evening travelling home to get moolah from the parents instead of going out and the next week getting a new drivers licence and student card and such.

People who steal from their own are dispicable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

ah shin that sux, really feel for ya :(

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

B-K-DzR wrote:
    ah shin that sux, really feel for ya :(

Yep that sux , however if I found a wallet in ucd, I wouldn't hand it in especially if there is money in it. I'd try and get in back to the student themselves so heres hoping thats happening for you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....erns
    to the baxtard that wobbed Elmyra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

My girlfriend did similar down at the lake yesterday and we went looking for it........i went to the library desk and the SU shop and someone had handed it into the SU shop so ask down there????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

A lady asked me earlier today did I lose a purse in the student centre. She left it into the reception so try there if you were around that area today.. ya might be lucky ...fingers crossed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

elmyra wrote:

People who steal from their own are dispicable.

WTF?!

We're drawing distinctions now between thieves?

And from there own? Really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

WTF?!

We're drawing distinctions now between thieves?

And from there own? Really

Hmm, I was still at the very angry stage today when I posted this thread which is tangental in it's relevance (sorry Sangre).

However, yep, I think that point still stands. I think there's something particularly bad about someone who steals knowing that they may be stealing from someone who needs it which you could assume in a college. To be honest there wasn't an awful lot of money in it, less than €100, it is mainly all of that cards etc that I have to replace that bothers me, together with only latterly remembering that there was a necklace my gran bought me in the purse part cos I've been meaning to get the catch on it fixed for ages; also I was able to just get money from my parents but given the person who stole it couldn't have worked out any of that by the contents, yep, I think that's pretty bad.

I have a feeling I wont be seeing it again because the logical thing to do was hand it in to Services, given that it was so close by, or Hilpers. Also, there were at least 6 things in the wallet with my name on them, one with my address, one with my course and student number and a separate piece of paper with an email address of one of my friends- I think I would've been contacted by now.

Will henceforth be immediately suss of anyone seen with green river island wallet.

Thank you please for the sympathy, wallowing works a treat :rolleyes: .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I had some scum bag nick my purse on the bus the day before my hardest exam last semester. It also meant that I was locked out of my room cos my door was locked. Its annoying purely because of the misconvenience of having to go about getting everything again. I hope you don't keep your keys on your purse like i do given your address was inside it!

But what would someone be wanting with a bunch of cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

That truly sucks. Up until this time last year I'd always found that anything lost was handed in to Services. Hilpers hand their stuff over to services too. But last year (finals time) my English notes disappeared, never to be seen again. Then my wallet was emptied in the English Postgrad room earlier this semester. People are getting notably suckier.

I'm really sorry to hear that Elmo, it's such hassle to have to replace everything, getting cards and everything back takes a week (or more, with bank holiday weekends taken into account) and there are always more things than you realise that are of sentimental value for some reason or another lost too.

If I can do anything, let me know.

elmyra, I'd just fallen in the door drunk last night and ofcourse, forgot to say the most obvious part of the post: Very sorry for the loss, that really really sucks.

(the "thieves are thieves, none better or worse" was just an aside).

UCD is getting pretty sucky. A guy in my year stole my DVD collection, I caught him with one and he gave me that one back but he didnt know who had the rest .... :rolleyes:
    Talk about being sucky, this is a guy in my year

Last thing I found was a USB key which was really easy to find the owner cos of the files on it. Actually I found and 3 USB keys this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

someone stole my fine gael hat last night. very annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I'm sorry to hear about your purse being stolen elmryra. Shit happens.

Do you understand that phrase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

UCD is awash with bike theives. I had my brother's bike borrowed for 1 lousy day without asking him and it got nicked, on a wet dark evening as well.

Then again, somebody once chained their bike to mine there when I didn't chain it up properly so I guess that made up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I had a not so similar incident over christmas.

Lost my keys in the student bar, by which i mean they were sitting on the ledge of those columns near the two center pool tables and some chancer nicked em.

Asked the bar staff that night and the next day, twice. Thought maybe the lads playing pool near us had mistaken them for a friends keys and might drop them back to bar upon realising their mistake.

I can understand Elmyra's anger, although she obviously lost money. Its the fact that you have to go about replacing everything you lost and are left wondering why someone could take something that has no obvious value to anyone but the owner.

Its really sad and pathetic tbh, stealing for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Same thing happened to a friend of mine yesterday. He was lucky enough that there wasn't too much in it.

It's terrible really, that most people wouldn't hand it back in. In most cases the contents is worthless to anyone but the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Finding a wallet and keeping the money isn't really stealing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Umaro wrote:

maybe in kerry.

Umaro wrote:
    Its less risky, but equally as wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Its less risky, but equally as wrong.
    Less risky?
    Surely more risky. Easier to keep the wallet and claim you were going to hand it in to the relevant authorities later. Nobody could disprove that. But if someone saw you just taking the money out and discarding it....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Umaro wrote:

From experience?

cast_iron wrote:
    Less risky?
    Surely more risky. Easier to keep the wallet and claim you were going to hand it in to the relevant authorities later. Nobody could disprove that. But if someone saw you just taking the money out and discarding it....
    and why would someone see you?

Finding a wallet, taking it somewhere private and then taking the money, is less risky than thieving, i.e pick pocketing or mugging; but equally as wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

legally its the same as taking it from their bag while they're not looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

I found a student card on Friday, just remembered now, will go find out the name. I'm pretty sure it was a girl anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Its unfortunate your stuff was swiped, try suing the college for improper security arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Its unfortunate your stuff was swiped, try suing the college for improper security arrangements.
    I hope youre joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I hope youre joking?
    Of course not.

Though to be more precise, clearly Hugh Brady is responsible, so you'd be better filing the suit against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Umaro wrote:

No, you're right. It's more like long-term borrowing without asking the person you're borrowing from... oh wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Umaro wrote:

Actually, you can be charged with "Larceny by finding". There was a case a few years ago of this little used section of legislation.

Sorry to hear about the theft Elmyra...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

boneless wrote:
    Actually, you can be charged with "Larceny by finding". There was a case a few years ago of this little used section of legislation.

Sorry to hear about the theft Elmyra...
    Actually to be pedantic its just theft, the term 'larceny' doesn't exist any more in legal terms;

'(1) Subject to section 5, a person is guilty of theft if he or she dishonestly appropriates property without the consent of its owner and with the intention of depriving its owner of it.'

Advertisement