Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So i'm thinking of getting a cat...

Options
  • 04-05-2007 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭

It's been a while since i've looked after a cat. My last cat died of old age about 7 years ago. I was only about 6 years old when i found her in woods so i can't really remember the ins and outs of looking after a young animal.

Forgive me if this sounds really stupid but any advice (or links to good advice) would really be appreciated.

I suppose what i most fear is that both myself and my girlfriend work 9-5 jobs and i'm not sure how a kitten would react to be left on its own for half the day. Would this preclude us from being good owners and be totally unfair on the animal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Get two cats! My cats are on their own from 7am until 6pm and they manage fine. And I can leave them on their own for up to 24 hours and they're perfectly safe and I'm happy knowing there are two of them to keep each other company. One of my cats died so the other was on his own for about six weeks before I got another one and he really didn't like being on his own and gave out to me for at least an hour every day when I came home from work!! He stopped giving out the day I got another cat! Although when I got the first two cats they were 7 months and 18 months old and when I got the new cat he was 4 years old. If you do get kittens I think you should confine them to one room for a while when you're out and make sure they have lots of toys to keep themselves amused. But definitly think about getting two!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

You're making a good move :D

Head on over here, fine bunch of people, and they can help you "adopt":

http://kittenadoption.proboards80.com/index.cgi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I agree two is always better than one. However I would not be leaving cats in my house alone - you need a shed or enclosure of some type.

I also find with all my cars that they love jumping up on them and sometimes scratch the paint. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

groovy. thanks for the advice. so two cats...hmmm....

Advertisement