Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case fan connections.... can you help (noob warning :P)

Options
  • 04-05-2007 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Well decided to be adventurous and build my new PC rather than go to Dell. Having great fun, however as I can only afford a few pieces a month its gonna take a while. Decided to go for fairly decent items too to make it as long lasting as possible (i hope...).

Anyway, to date I've got:

Gigabyte Aurora case (2 rear fans, 1 front)
    Antec 550W trio PSU
    Asus 680i SLI MB

and a few other bits and bobs.

Today i got the PSU and MB installed, and was stumped by the fan connections in the Gigabyte case.

The 2 rear fans (which have a couple of go faster LEDs on them) are connected together and end in a single 3 pin connection for the MB. When connected and powered up, they both struggle to run - however disconnecting 1 makes the other 1 run fine. I'm guessing 2 fans is too much for the single connection - so I think I need a 3 pin extension cable to connect both separately to the MB - am I anywhere near right with this??.

Second 'prob' - the front fan (also with LEDs) - which I would want to attach to the 'Chassis" fan header on the MB - ends in a 4 pin power connection. Now this in itself seems odd, as from what I gather you normally get 3 pin on the MB - but anyway..... The PSU has a 'Fan Only' connection, however when connected to the front fan it struggles to get going, and when it does, it spins quite slowly.

Should I have this connected to the MB too?. I'm guessing I need another extension (the 4 pin is a converter attached right at the fan), or if I cant wriggle a cable through the case, a 4 pin to 3 pin converter to allow me to attach to the MB. Am i talking rubbish?.

Any advice - much appreciated!!..

AG

PS - fans are 12V 0.2A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

try peats.ie for the addaptor.

Advertisement