Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Varadkar (FG) be a part-time TD?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Well in castleknock village there is two pubs, then the Bell, the 12th lock the carpender.... that's just off hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

The man behind the wire.

493728968_6d600a6872.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭thelepo

Money Shot wrote:
    Seen the posters on my way home last night. Cllr Mags Murray is the PD runner in Blanchardstown. I think we can safely rule her out as she is even more scarlet pimpernel than Felix Gallagher (SF) and DAve O'Gorman (green)

I hope Cave Dave's predictions above do not come to fruition. Brian Lenihan has had his chance and done absolutely nothing for Dublin 15. Why would people reward mediocrity and give him yet another chance. He's had his chance, and it's to give somebody else a shout. Even FF'ers above don't seem very complimentary to him.

The way I see things going is
    1. Joe Higgins (reward for at least trying/taking the average ind. wage etc)
    2. Leo Vadarkar (reward for his relentless publicity campaign)
    3. Joan Burton (reward for not being FF and being in the right place at the right time)

So, it looks like Blanchardstown major transport, crime and lack of schools etc issues will go unresolved for another half a decade.

I think you mean Roderic O'Gorman. www.rodericogorman.com , www.youtue.com/OGorman2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

He also as a bebo
    http://VoteOGorman1.bebo.com

The Guiness in the hartstown is pretty good but if it was to be a inculsive effort for d15 it would be best close to the most ammount of rail and bus route which would be the bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

OFFTOPIC

Where are the voting locations in Dublin West? I have tried to google it but failed.
    Usually it is in the schools/Community centres but in Dublin West you tend to have neither.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

cavedave wrote:
    OFFTOPIC

Where are the voting locations in Dublin West? I have tried to google it but failed.
    Usually it is in the schools/Community centres but in Dublin West you tend to have neither.

Its usually all the primary schools in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Corduff Community school for one !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

cavedave wrote:
    See Dublin West polling scheme.
    cavedave wrote:
    Time to come out of the cave, Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

cavedave wrote:
    OFFTOPIC

:confused: its always in the local schools??? :confused:

Thanks for the help RainyDay.
    its always in the local schools???
    Sorry I cannot parse this sentence

• Advertisement

cavedave wrote:
    OFFTOPIC

There are schools and community centres a plenty. :rolleyes:

Could I just ask - have we established that Vadakar intends to be a part time TD or will he give up work in his medical practice and be a full time TD ?

It's important and with the election tomorrow - I don't think a part time TD will be of much use to D15.

Anyone know his intentions - thanks ??

Why don't you email him or get intouch with him and find out yourself ?
    His contact details are on any of the leaflets which you would have gotten in the door.

Cllr Loe Varadkar,
    30 Rosehaven,
    Carpenterstown
    Dublin 15
    Varadkar@iol.ie

As far as I know all TD's take a leave of absence from thier jobs as the office and partipathing in the Dáil is easily a 60 hour week. You don't see joe higgins tryint to still teach.

Thaedydal wrote:
    Why don't you email him or get intouch with him and find out yourself ?

Ooohhhhhhh touchy !!!!!!!

It's a bit late in the day for that I think, and hey, whats the point if someone else has already done the ground work - just thought I'd ask ?

I wasn't directing the question at you personally, so in future, feel free not to respond.

I wasn't taking it personally at all, if you have a query you should be able to address the candidate yourself and find out, esp one how has made the point of being so contactible and having his details out there.

If you wanted to know that badly you would lift up the phone or send an email instead of rabble rousing here, if you have the nerve to do so be sure to share your results with the rest of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I asked one of his canvassers and he told me that the good doctor has already given up his day job and intends to be a fulltime politician if elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

I have emailed Leo and received the following reply.
    "I am not familiar with this website.

For the past three years I have worked hard both as a councillor and as a doctor. Both are very busy jobs but I think most people will agree that I have done a good job in both. Ever day I meet people who tell me that and the only one of eight councillors that they ever hear from. I am fortunate not have any family or personal commitments.

I have been a full time politician since March and if I am elected my work as a TD will be my No 1 priority. However, I am certainly not ruling out doing some medical practice particularly when the Dail is not sitting in order to maintain my skills and to keep in touch with the reality of the health services and the realities of real working life which sadly is a mystery to most politicians. This would not be unusual for back-bench TDs especially those that have businesses, farms or professions. Obviously, if I am appointed to a government position, this will be impossible.

It is a huge disadvantage to good policy formation, in my view, that none of our current TDs have had a ‘real’ job in over ten years especially when it comes to understanding the real world outside of politics.

Best Regards

LEO"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

So being a public representative isn't a real job? Is that the kind of attitude you want from your local TD?

Real world experience is all very well but to be a doctor and a public representative means fulfilling two demanding roles.

A lot of town councilors work in another job alongside their role on the council. Less TDs do I think.

Councillor Varadkar thinks he will have just as much free time if he is elected.

Jack of all trades, master of none perhaps.

I like his ambition though.

It is not like a real job it is a very slectice and unquie enviroment tbh and there is nothing like it.

Thaedydal wrote:
    I wasn't taking it personally at all, if you have a query you should be able to address the candidate yourself and find out, esp one how has made the point of being so contactible and having his details out there.

If you wanted to know that badly you would lift up the phone or send an email instead of rabble rousing here, if you have the nerve to do so be sure to share your results with the rest of the forum.

Thanks Joolsveer - simple answer to a simple question.

Thaedydal - what is wrong with you - "rabble rousing" - how do you come to that conclusion. I read through the thread quickly and couldn't work out if the OP'ers initial question had been answered. I really don't need to know "so badly", but was curious to know and was fairly sure someone on the forum had already found out...which they had.

I'm really not sure why my question has angered you so much. ????

• Advertisement

/blinks

angry ? mybe you get that easily wond up I don't. I think you are reading far too much into my posts.

fair enough - I just thought your tone was very condescending and smart @rseish. I obviously took it up wrong - no harm done - we can move on.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Even if you had a problem with Thaed's reply (and it's beyond me why you did), it wasn't appropriate to get into an argument about it on-thread. Fine, you've acknowledged your mistake - please learn from it.

So looks like Lenihen, Varadkar and a fight between Joan Burton and Joe Higgins.
    So 1. I was wrong about varadkar not getting in
    2. I was wrong about FF needing to go in with labour or even Higgins.

Anyone else been wrong?

oscarBravo wrote:
    Even if you had a problem with Thaed's reply (and it's beyond me why you did), it wasn't appropriate to get into an argument about it on-thread. Fine, you've acknowledged your mistake - please learn from it.

I would love to leave this, but I can't let this silly post go. It is beyond me why you made this post - it is extremely arrogant, condescending, patronising and antagonistic.
    'Please learn from it' - You are not my mother or parole office (and yes, I do have one)

There wasn't an argument, you're friend was just being a smart @rse in my opinion. They said they weren't - I took them at their word and accepted it, and moved on.

Please don't feel the need to respond to this - I really have better things to be doing than reading your pathetic attempts to show your undying loyalty to your buddy. If you have a problem, send me a PM - this back slapping nonsense that goes on on forums bores me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

cavedave wrote:
    So looks like Lenihen, Varadkar and a fight between Joan Burton and Joe Higgins.
    So 1. I was wrong about varadkar not getting in
    2. I was wrong about FF needing to go in with labour or even Higgins.

Anyone else been wrong?

I think a lot of people are surprised at the late turnaround for FF.

Someone from one of the other parties said earlier that they all thought the election was all about the quality of life issues, crime, health etc. Indeed that was it seemed to be fought on. But perhaps at the last minute a lot of people changed their minds thinking it would hurt their bottom to vote against FF.

With their failures in health etc, its hard to understand the strength of the FF vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭thelepo

Now we really will find out if Leo will be a part time TD. That will be something to knock him over the head with next time.

I'm starting a file on Varadkar to use in the next election, he ain't gettin in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Dublin West should by law have 4 TD's but thats another days discussion.

Advertisement