Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic!!!`

Options
  • 04-05-2007 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

What with the all the (anti) speeding debate going on, a bit of light relief from Autotrader...
    Oz fast

First the story of four young men who took their revenge on a mobile speed camera van in the Australian capital Canberra.

Three of the group approached the traffic officers inside, quizzing them on how the camera technology worked, and how many speeders they would expect to catch in a day.

Meanwhile, their companion was busy unscrewing the number plate from the front of the van and fixing it to their car.

The group bid farewell to the camera operators, got back in their vehicle, and proceeded to drive past the van at high speed. 17 times.

Causing the automated billing system to issue itself 17 tickets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I always wondered about that.

Say, you don't like someone, and you happen to drive the same make and colour car as they do. What would stop you getting number plates made up the same as theirs and driving past a speed camera a few times? It'd be hard to prove that it was someone setting you up, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote:

Say, you don't like someone, and you happen to drive the same make and colour car as they do. What would stop you getting number plates made up the same as theirs and driving past a speed camera a few times? It'd be hard to prove that it was someone setting you up, wouldn't it?

Experiment? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Yea, that would appear on the surface to be more than reasonable doubt. It would be interesting to see how it would stand up in court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

The picture from the van mounted gatso takes a picture of the front of the car, and although the initial points notication letter just shows a pic of the license plate. However the the summons carries a photograph of the whole car with the drivers face easily identifiable, so appropriate headgear maybe needed. Skiing anyone ?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm thinking of fixed cameras that get the back of the car. they don't have a video camera at the front do they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

the fixed gatso take a picture of the rear of the car so your ok there. but the stuff of the legend is the van gatsoed itself.
    I heard this story before where a lady in a tr7 distracted the gatso van boys while the local rugby club removed the front plates from the white transit gatso van.
    They then tore up and down in front of it in their own white rugby club transit.
    A detailed account was carried in some english triumph magazine.
    A miniskirt was involved i believe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

colm_mcm wrote:

This is one of the reasons why in the UK you have to show proof of ownership before a shop will make license plates for you. Another is the congestion charge cameras.

Advertisement