Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten Question

Options
  • 04-05-2007 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hey all,

Since mid february I brought home a kitten of about 8weeks and he is growing into a lovely cat. We havnt really had cats in a good few years just dogs but have noticed few strange things about this lil fellow.

1) He licks us the whole time like a dog would.
    2) Wags his tail when hes playing with things, i thought they only done that when annoyed?
    3) Has an awful habit of biting.

Is this normal of a cat? We wouldnt have much experience with a cat so its kind of new to us.

He used to be ferral so possibly grew up around dogs so picked up their habits? Can anyone spread a bit of light on this?

Thanks!
    Aimee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Deffo a Ferral one. You'll need to get him/her spayed and checked out for flees down your local Blue Cross.

How did you house train it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

That all sounds fairly normal for a kitten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

Deffo a Ferral one. You'll need to get him/her spayed and checked out for flees down your local Blue Cross.

How did you house train it?

I was doing work experience in a vets and fell in love with him out of the litter that was there and he was treated for fleas, tape worm etc! He hasnt been castrated, would you advise it? He dosnt really be outside on his own only with us.

Patience and lots of it. He was so scared the first 2 weeks, kept hiding behind the fridge and things. After time he got friendlier and now he is so friendly and adores human interaction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridget.laitly

He hasnt been castrated, would you advise it? He dosnt really be outside on his own only with us.

Hi Aimee,

Neutering is a better option than leaving him intact; unaltered toms have a habit of spraying and aggression, even if they're the only cat for miles! Neutering will also help keep the cat population down just in case he gets out of the house and goes out on the town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Aimee once he is 6 months old get him neutered - male cats scent mark & an un neutured tom will STINK!

Cats play fight so biting is normal - flicking the tail can be done at any time from annoyed to playful. My cats lick me! I would advise you get a 2nd kitten as they will play together & be happier when you are out of the house etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Hey all,

Since mid february I brought home a kitten of about 8weeks and he is growing into a lovely cat. We havnt really had cats in a good few years just dogs but have noticed few strange things about this lil fellow.

1) He licks us the whole time like a dog would.
    2) Wags his tail when hes playing with things, i thought they only done that when annoyed?
    3) Has an awful habit of biting.

Is this normal of a cat? We wouldnt have much experience with a cat so its kind of new to us.

He used to be ferral so possibly grew up around dogs so picked up their habits? Can anyone spread a bit of light on this?

Thanks!
    Aimee

When he licks you he is trying to be dominant. If there was another cat in the house he would wash it as a statement of " I own you, i'm the boss".
    Perfectly normal.
    Most kittens will wag their tail in play, whne hunting and when upset.
    He could be teething, hence the biting. Or he might be introducing it as play, it is nothing to do with being feral....
    Make sure you dont give him the chance to bit or it will become a habit for him. He obviously likes you if he's trying to put his mark on you so i wouldn't be too worried. He's still a baby.....
    And get him neutered, this can be done at any age provided he's in good health, you dont have to wait til he's 6 months old.... I would ask your vet if he would do it now or seek out a vet that will neuter young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated!! :)

Advertisement