Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splinter Cell 5

Options
  • 04-05-2007 11:47pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some new screenshots of this have been released.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/kinetickoala/splintercell5-1.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/kinetickoala/splintercell5-2.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/kinetickoala/splintercell5-3.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/kinetickoala/splintercell5-4.jpg
    Sam is pretty pissed off to the organisation he worked in. He kinda tries to quit, and he becomes a FUGITIVE. Outlaw if you will. A woman she knows gets kidnapped and he goes for the rescue by himself. Without any support from anywhere and without his equipment. The emphasis on SC5 is using your surroundings. Apparently every single object in the game is usable and uses real physics. The developers have put really big amount of work on making the animations on SC5 the best there are. For example Sam can grab a chair while running and there is not a single/multi pre-made animations for this event. The chair has a certain amount of points where it can be grabbed and the "animation-motor" adjusts Sams arms so the animation is fluid and realistic. The Journalist who tested the game said it was still not finished, but the animations looked way better than ANYTHING he had ever seen in a game. Sounds great.

Sam cant kill cops, guards and such, but he can kill terrorists and other bad guys. He has a very good set of close combat skills and can push. and throw people around and this way knock them unconscious. (is that how its spelled?)

The demo level was a park with about 300 civilians. Sam had to make his way to a computer in a bar/office or something. Midst the crowd was some security personnel who were searching Sam. The devs told Pelaaja, that they tried to make the game so, that the gamers has free will over how the game progresses. So there isnt just a couple of linear and scripted ways to play the game. Sam could just blend in to the crowd easily and it was important not to show his face. Sam could "shadow" a person thus making his way to the Computer or he could smack some civilians causing a fuzz in the crowd. He could even blow up a gas tank and thus wreak panic among people. Making it easy to move through the crowd. If Sam causes too much ruckus though, the guards call some reinforcements from the company Sam worked. And they kill on sight.

CHOICE is another big aspect of the game for example if you get caught with another dude (a merchant of sorts/informant etc) you can decide if to help him/her to escape or to leave him to the cops. Of course he/her wont be there for you later on in the game.

Thats apparently a translation of some of the article.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Sounds cool. I enjoyed Double Agent, if Ubi can keep the quality up I'll be happy.

From the description it sounds similar in parts to Assassin's Creed (the whole crowd mingling/diversion tactics). Seems to be a new genre or the advancement of the stealth genre.

As posted above , it sounds very very similar to Assassins Creed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'd say that from now on we're gonig to see a hell of a lot of games that take that mingling system into account.

But that looks pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Sounds cool. I enjoyed Double Agent, if Ubi can keep the quality up I'll be happy.

From the description it sounds similar in parts to Assassin's Creed (the whole crowd mingling/diversion tactics). Seems to be a new genre or the advancement of the stealth genre.

You never played the PC version then? Coz it sucked **** performance full of bugs and problems. Ive played all 3 and finished all 3 Splinter cell games and they were fantastic but Splinter Cell 4 sucked at least on the PC.

UBIsoft did a lazy port and you can find the game in most bargin bins in your local games store.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

No, I played the 360 version. Apparently Ubi like MS consoles more than any other platform :)

• Advertisement

Double Agent sucked ass on the PS3, I'd sell it, but who in their right mind would buy it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hmm problem with Splinter Cell is one of the main problems in the game industry at the moment: the yearly update. Remember back in the day when you'd have to wait two, three years minimum for a sequel? Nowadays we don't even have to wait a year, and hence there's not really that much of a leap in gameplay or graphics from year to year - best example being Tony Hawks, which started struggling after game three. Underground 1+2 had good ideas, badly implemented due to a need to rush it out for November. Only now is Tony getting back on the proverbial skateboard. DA was the first SC I really enjoyed, but it took four games of pretty miniscule improvements from one year to the next to get there.

If I were Ubisoft (which, since I'm not a profit hunting gaming distributor, I'm not) I'd give Sam Fisher a year off and make a truly different, adavanced game.

That said... number 5 does sound different to the previous iterations, so here's hoping the yearly update curse is dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Bah, still making my way thru Chaos Theory :-/

Heard nothing but bad things about SC DA but 5 does indeed sound like fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

kaimera wrote:
    Bah, still making my way thru Chaos Theory :-/

Heard nothing but bad things about SC DA but 5 does indeed sound like fun :)

yeah i thought the same about splinter cell 4 pity Ubisoft made such a mess of the PC version. I mean its totaly unplayable and im a big splintercell fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Forget the PC version of DA and get the Xbox 360 version. Story is weak enough in it, but the gameplay is good solid fun, and the moral choices make for some interesting situations. Don't believe the bad reviews it got, its actually quite a good game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I actually enjoyed the PC version of DA though i had to replay a couple of levels due to game ending bugs. I still enjoyed it enough though to do that and finish the game. Looking forward to this version though espec if they implement new features well.

Advertisement