Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMLE Rifle

Options
  • 05-05-2007 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

I have been offered for sale a SMLE made by BSA 1919 Mk 3* in .303 for £400. I have tried looking it up on the net regarding price but cant find out if this is a good price or not :confused:

Its in great condition with clean bore and accurate as an 88 year old work horse can be. Just always wanted to own one and just hope someone can help tell me if its a deal or no deal:)

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

it's not a steal but pretty good
    this is from fultonsofbisley.com

.303” No4 Mk2 service rifle, Fazakerley manufacture. £265
    .303” No4 Mk1 service rifle, good bore and working order. £395
    .303” Savage US manufactured No4 Mk1 FTR upgraded to Mk2, Nice gun with good bore. £385
    .303” No4 Mk2 service rifle manufactured at Fazakerley in 1953, Good bore and all matching numbers. £425
    7.62mm No4 Charnwood armoury conversion. Full length wood military spec with 7.62mm mag and good bore. £485
    .303” No4 Mk1 service rifle, Fazakerley 1949. £325
    .303" SMLE service rifle by LSA 1918, Refurbished at Irshapore in 1931. Good bore. £325
    1618 .303" SMLE MkIII by BSA. Late commercial model made for colonial police contract in the 1920's. With mag cut off but no long range volley sights. Good condition with exc bore. £385
    1619 .303" SMLE MkIII by BSA. Late commercial model made for colonial police contract in the 1920's. With mag cut off but no long range volley sights. Good condition with exc bore. £385
    .303" SMLE service rifle by LSA 1918, Refurbished at Irshapore in 1931. Good bore. £325

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Cheers for that BryanL. helps alot. Seems to be the going price for one in good condition. love the shape of them and cant wait to shoot one.:D :D

Will let yiz all know how it goes with licence, import etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

are you going to import?you can still get unused ones in mint condition,but i think used ones from that time are better.it' makes you mindful when you are using one just how many poor bastards had to defened their lives with one or lose their lives to one of those guns.it oppressed and liberated Ireland i suppose.
    i think they shoot like a tractor drives,pure function,but accurate
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

chem wrote:
    I have been offered for sale a SMLE made by BSA 1919 Mk 3* in .303 for £400. I have tried looking it up on the net regarding price but cant find out if this is a good price or not :confused:

Its in great condition with clean bore and accurate as an 88 year old work horse can be. Just always wanted to own one and just hope someone can help tell me if its a deal or no deal:)

Thanks for any help.

Did the seller provide you with any pics? Be interesting to see them, 1919 wouldnt be the most common year for BSA, as there production was naturally scaled down a little after the war. They also reverted back to the MkIII and fitted magazine cutoffs (not of much use, but a nice little feature), but you've mentioned that yours is an MkIII*, so it was obviously made before the switch back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Did get some pics but not sure how to get them on to this site. PM me your email address and I will send them on. The rifle has a parker hale sight on it but he is looking £200 extra for this. Think I can get the same sight cheaper.

• Advertisement

PM sent.

Chem if its a PH5a sight on it and you arent going to purchase it make sure the seller replaces the safety spring, locking bolt. The fitting of them sights required the spring to be removed as the sight itself then held the safety lever in place.

Here are the pictures of the No1 MkIII* that chem was enquiring about, the pictures are posted on his behalf:

CaptureWiz048.jpg

CaptureWiz049.jpg

Its a clean, complete example of an MkIII*, Parker Hale PH5 sight. 'Clipped' and repaired forward handguard, early style 'rounded' cocking piece and a unit disc that may give some information as to the unit/regiment this rifle was issued to........that's if its stamped :p

Advertisement