Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

About to buy vista.

• 05-05-2007 7:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,I just searched the forum for the best starter vista ,didn't find a thread.
    I am looking for a basic version with media player ,for my laptop. I was thinking of going for the home premium version ??. I tried to buy it online last night ,but the US MS site wouldn't let me.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I presume you mean Media Center rather than Media Player.
    Vista Home Premium is the lowest version with Media Center. You can buy iy from the likes of Komplett rather than Microsoft.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=330707

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Therefore its not exactly the same as the full retail package! The product itself is the same but the licence is the difference. That is why it is cheaper - it is supposed to stay with the same machine for its lifetime and die with it too. You're not supposed to move it to other computers, but enforcement of that is spotty at best.

*wink wink*
    *nudge nudge*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I'll order an OEM so .
    I presume it's the same as say a copy of vista ,that would come with a new machine anyway's .
    Dabs have it aswell ,for 5 euro delivery. komplett are looking for 12 euro ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Hi there,

Have a gander at this.....won't comment on Vista other than to say I will be forced to buy it as I will want DirectX 10 at some point.

BUT AS FOR OVERCLOCKERS.CO.UK!!!!!!

Overclockers.co.uk dont post negative feedback

They won't post anything that is not a shining review!!! I always buy from them coz their prices are good...but do your product research somewhere else and do not rely on their "reviews".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Speaking of reviews people considering purchasing Vista should have a look at this piece on a particular Vista problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The file copying bug only affects specific hardware/software combinations though trying to nail down which is the hard part.

So far none of the systems I've put Vista on have been affected by it though the ones with NVIDIA chipsets have had the occasional quirks but unrelated to the above problem.

For anyone that is affected I hear the explorer replacement Directory Opus 9 is unaffected as it has it's own copy/delete method though not verified that myself as I never had the problem to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I have Vista since about a month after its release and I have to say its very stable , has not crashed once !

It did take about 2 weeks of fiddling around to get everything right , the only real hassle I had was with the ipod , however apple fixed that with itunes 7.1.1.

Last night though , I had to re-load my ipod with 60GB of music ( tip .... if you dont use the " remove this hardware safely " feature it will corrupt your ipod )

and it took 7 hours .......XP did it in less than an hour ........ I dont know if this is related to the issue mentioned above ......but I thought that it was a crazy amount of time .....seeing as its music I was transferring maybe it is a DRM issue , anybody have any info on that ?

Advertisement