Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership This Weekend

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i think ball did get booked in the second half

Dickov and Johnson were the only Man City players to be booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

tevezs first goal supposed to have been a cracker. the liverpool v fulham game is awful. fowler missed an open goal from 4 yards. i think fulham may get something from this

and there is fulham 1 liverpool 0

dempsey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:D
    Rofl at Dolan on Setanta going on and on about the 'morally corrupt' Wigan for taking WHU to court.

Sheesh, the man is still bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

seansouth wrote:
    :D
    Rofl at Dolan on Setanta going on and on about the 'morally corrupt' Wigan for taking WHU to court.

Sheesh, the man is still bitter.

Isnt there a Premier League rule about suing other clubs?

We should get one over here ;)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Rubbish. It was an utterly awful penalty and VDS had fúck all to do with it. Nobody makes you take a bad peno, you either stick it away or bottle it like Vassell did.

It produced the required result, hmmm :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

KdjaCL wrote:
    Isnt there a Premier League rule about suing other clubs?

i think it's the league itself they are looking at suing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

nipplenuts wrote:
    It produced the required result, hmmm :rolleyes:

Yeah it was definitely Van Der Sarr flapping his arms around and wasting a few seconds. I mean no player would be capable of taking a decent penalty after that. He was just bound to put it at a decent heighth, dead centre. What a great save by Van der Sarr. Utter legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Paddy Kenny losing the plot with a team mate (Kilgallon) now. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

watchin the manc derby now on rte2. does anyone think the pitch looks like green burberry?

What an inane comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Who was the bloke on the Fulham team who head-butted Alonso? Absolute filth
    tevezs first goal supposed to have been a cracker.

Just saw it on the Premiership. It was ;)

Perfect free kick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The_B_Man wrote:
    watchin the manc derby now on rte2. does anyone think the pitch looks like green burberry?

There was a perculiar cut on the pitch all right, I watched the match with an elderly relative and he found it difficult on his eyes.

Arsenal can go third if they get a win tomorrow , I don't know the difference in prize money between 3rd and 4th but I'm sure they will be really up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

They are playing Chelsae, I doubt that the extra money that the club will get is going to be any more of a motivator than the fact that they are playing the Champions and local rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Arsenal really want to get third. I don't think they would be happy with Liverpool being ahead of them in the league.
    It produced the required result, hmmm

Yeah it was definitely Van Der Sarr flapping his arms around and wasting a few seconds. I mean no player would be capable of taking a decent penalty after that. He was just bound to put it at a decent heighth, dead centre. What a great save by Van der Sarr. Utter legend.

Do you not think keepers have any affect on peno takers at all? Dudek's crazy arm thing in the CL Final, do you think that has any affect?

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Do you not think keepers have any affect on peno takers at all? Dudek's crazy arm thing in the CL Final, do you think that has any affect?

No it's up to the player to put the ball in the back of the net. If the reason that he missed was genuinely because Van der Sarr started waving his arms around then he should never be allowed take a penalty ever again.

If the reason that he missed was genuinely because Van der Sarr started waving his arms around then he should never be allowed take a penalty ever again.

He didn't miss, the keeper saved it. There is a difference.

Ha. It was an awful penalty. It hit Van der Sarr he didn't save it. It was a truly shocking miss.

Ha. It was an awful penalty. It hit Van der Sarr he didn't save it. It was a truly shocking miss.

I,m not getting into a petty argument about it but you are so obviously wrong. VDS clearly moved his leg to make the save. Miss suggests that vassel missed the target he didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Martin O'Neill may have won Manager of month for April but the performance today was the best I have seen from Villa in a long time, I know it was Sheff Utd but they are playing for their premiership lives, Carew, Young and Gabby looked very good today, if Martin can spend wisely in the summer we could have a good season next season.

• Advertisement

Oh really? It looked suspiciously like he was diving out of the way of the ball to me and it hit his is trailing leg but I'm so obviously wrong in your opinion and that's all that matters really

I think Vassell should be chastised more than VDS should be praised... It was a brutal peno, but VDS did well to get in the way. I'd say his delaying had a minimal effect on the shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It was a crap penalty end of story!

Shouldn't have even been a peno ;) lol

Come on the Gunners! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I think the FA should be sued. If they're gonna rig a game they should at least show some creativity;)

No it's up to the player to put the ball in the back of the net. If the reason that he missed was genuinely because Van der Sarr started waving his arms around then he should never be allowed take a penalty ever again.

Really? What about Shev? He got distracted by Dudek waving his hands around and the other stuff, wobbly legs etc. I'd still like him to take my penos :)

the players psychological state is on a knife edge for penalties. very few are able to effectively shield themselves from the pressure all the time it seems. it could have been VDS that freaked him out, it could have been something entirely unrelated that we didn't pick on, like a inane comment from a player/fan. or he could have just lost balance causing him to make sh*te contact. Fact is, no one can effectively tell. At the end of the day United got lucky, for whatever reason he hit a crap penalty, VDS did decent to save it, the end. pointless argument really, there are much more important things to gripe about :) .

So what about all the times goalkeepers act the fool before a penalty is taken but it still goes in?

No offence but the overstatement of pyschology in football is one of my pet hates. Vassell being unable to take a decent penalty because of a bit of timewasting and a flappy arm act is extremely unlikely. He just bottled it, players take shíte penalties all the time without any of the 'mind games'. The only way you can really use pyschology in football is to rile someone up enough to get them sent off, and isn't that practice looked down upon?

I mean in cricket, you can use psychology to get people to do something stupid and give their wicket away which obviously affects the outcome of the game. I had a friend who wasn't a man u supporter who genuinely thought that everytime Ferguson came out in the papers before an Newcastle/Arsenal/Chelsea game and said something to the effect of 'I don't think they're going to win'... and they didn't win the game, that it was all Ferguson's doing.

Wait, psychology is a bad choice of words. I mean the use of mind games, like a goalkeeper dancing a fine jig before a penalty or managers slagging each other off in the papers. If it doesn't produce the desired effect then fine, people just forget about it. But if it does produce the desired affect people are all to quick to decide it was the use of mind games that was the main reason for said outcome.

So what about all the times goalkeepers act the fool before a penalty is taken but it still goes in?

It's not an exact science, and it's not always successful.
    No offence but the overstatement of pyschology in football is one of my pet hates. Vassell being unable to take a decent penalty because of a bit of timewasting and a flappy arm act is extremely unlikely. He just bottled it, players take shíte penalties all the time without any of the 'mind games'.

For somebody who thinks psychology is overstated in football, the idea that he just bottles it, must really be basedon the pressure of the kick, the situation surrounding, really the whole psychological situation :)
    The only way you can really use pyschology in football is to rile someone up enough to get them sent off, and isn't that practice looked down upon?

If another player can annoy somebody so much that they want to hit them, do you not think they can do it enough so that for a spilt second they concentrate on that instead of hitting the ball perfectly?
    That's all the keeper has to do, make them for a spilt second think about him instead of the kick, and it's half the battle.

Is there one less round of Champions League qualifying between Arsenal and Liverpool? An extra incentive on top of purely 3rd-4th. Can see it being a draw though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

both just have one tie to get into the comp proper dont they? everton only had to beat villareal (which they didnt) to get in in 2005/2006 and they finished 4th.

Both go to the 3rd qualifying round afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

PHB wrote:
    Both go to the 3rd qualifying round afaik.

Correct.

Pfff, no Ashley cole at the Emirates. Where's the fun in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

No Drogba either! Very strange.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Unusual Arsenal line-up - Diaby, Fabregas, Gilberto and Denilson in midfield.

* Jens Lehmann
    * Emmanuel Eboue
    * Kolo Toure
    * Gael Clichy
    * William Gallas
    * Denilson
    * Abou Diaby
    * Francesc Fabregas
    * Gilberto
    * Julio Baptista
    * Emmanuel Adebayor

Subs

* Manuel Almunia
    * Philippe Senderos
    * Justin Hoyte
    * Johan Djourou
    * Alexander Hleb

Chelsea:

Cech
    Ferreira
    Terry
    Boulahrouz
    Bridge
    Essien
    Lampard
    Mikel
    Joe Cole
    Kalou
    SWP

Drogba out injured.

Who else is expecting a MOM performance from Gallas?

1 - 0 Arsenal

Blatant penalty, Ref had no choice but to send off Boulahrouz, was all over Baptista. Dunno why Terry was getting thick with the ref over it. Gilberto hits a good penalty.

Boularouz sent off to give Gilberto a peno

1-0 to the Gunners!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Looks like the title is heading to old trafford tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

was trying to throw a sneaky euro or 2 on chelsea becoming champions now, while down 1-0 but paddypower.com seem to have suspended betting on outright premiership winner. Bound to be pretty good odds on chelsea coming back, beating united next week, and then united losing to west ham on the final day! Wouldnt shock me (well ok it would but stranger things have happened) and chelsea are great for the old last gasp surges forward.

That rule should be changed, it's too harsh on the defending team. No need for a red card. It was a penalty, but I fail to see how a penalty isn't a clear goal scoring oppurtunity. Unless you're pulling some down with an open goal in front of them, I mean the penalty was a better chance than the one Baptista would have had... and Baptista probably would have missed too.

That rule should be changed, it's too harsh on the defending team. No need for a red card. It was a penalty, but I fail to see how a penalty isn't a clear goal scoring oppurtunity. Unless you're pulling some down with an open goal in front of them, I mean the penalty was a better chance than the one Baptista would have had... and Baptista probably would have missed too.

It was braught in to rid of the game of the prefessional foul, It has been successful as you rarely see players cynically chopped down when through on goal. Personally I think its a good rule and doubt it will be changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

gallas should have finished the game there

arsenal are turning the screw into chelsea. 20 minutes left and its all arsenal. some miss by gallas there.

• Advertisement

chelsea level at 1-1, totally against the run of play. essien

1-1 now :eek:
    essien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Feck. Gonna be a tense finish.

Arsenal made a great break a few minutes ago and it came to the one person you wouldn't want it to come to - Alex Hleb. The guy doesn't know how to shoot.

i can see chelsea snatching a winner,hope i`m wrong

county wrote:
    i can see chelsea snatching a winner,hope i`m wrong

I was just thinking the same. Chelsea have lifted their performance second half, considering they are down to 10 you have to give then kudos for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement