Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb metro router problem.

Options
  • 05-05-2007 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    My da got Metro during the week, original we had another package which came with a four port router.

The new one came wit a Thomsom modem that only has one network port. I have tried passing the signal from the modem to 4 port router we have but it wont send the signal through??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Put the modem in bridged mode, the router will the look after dhcp, firewall etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Im sorry but how do you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

You need to access the web interface of your modem, mine is 192.168.1.1, which is typed into browser, check your documentation or website for address of your modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Stanly1 you don't know about this. There is no router in the Metro Modem. It is just a Modem. Bridge Mode is irrelevent.

There is NOTHING to configure.

You can't use a 4 port + ADSL router. You need a box with an ethernet WAN port (a 5th separate ethernet port).

The WAN port needs then set for DHCP (no PPPoE). Reboot the modem by disconnecting its power for 15 seconds.

The LAN may use Static or DHCP IP assignment.

Argos call suitable Routers "Cable Routers" (they are really nothing to do with cable as they have no built in Cable Modem).

See these:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10274
    And
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10274

If it has NO WAN connections, it is a Hub or Switch and will not work with Metro, Wireless, ADSL, Cable. Needs a separate router.

If it has a WAN connection, then it is a Router;
    1) WAN ethernet = RJ45. The only one for Metro
    These routers are no use for Metro:
    2) DSL = RJ11 (Only for phone line)
    3) Cable = F-Connector (Only can be supplied by cable company, in Ireland they will not enable a 3rd party Cable Modem)
    4) ISDN = RJ45 = ISDN S-Bus. Needs ISDN TA on wall (which is the actual modem on the phone line)

A Switch or Hub can optionally have WiFi. But apart from possibly a port marked "uplink" (for another hub/switch) it simply has ethernet ports. All connections are LAN, none are WAN Router (Wide Area Network).

A box supplied for Phone Line use is an ADSL router and can never work as a router on anything else.

You need a proper Ethernet only Router

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

To Op.

When i first got my Digiweb i had it connected directly to the PC. When I added a wireless router later I had the same problem. What I found is that the Digiweb modem seemed to lock its self to what it is connect to on boot up. So if you try swap it to the router while it is still on it wont work. I suggest trying Powering down both Modem and router and connecting them and start em up again. Also ensure that the cable going from modem to router is connected into the WN port of the router

Thats what fixed it for me. Not sure if its the same problem but worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A good summary of what I was saying. However if the OP was using DSL or some service that gave out multiple IPs, then his 4 port "box" may not have an ethernet WAN connection.

If The_Goose135 posts us the Model Number and Make, then we will know what kind of box it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Stokolan wrote:
    To Op.

When i first got my Digiweb i had it connected directly to the PC. When I added a wireless router later I had the same problem. What I found is that the Digiweb modem seemed to lock its self to what it is connect to on boot up. So if you try swap it to the router while it is still on it wont work. I suggest trying Powering down both Modem and router and connecting them and start em up again. Also ensure that the cable going from modem to router is connected into the WN port of the router

Thats what fixed it for me. Not sure if its the same problem but worth a shot.

This wasmit, i did restart the modem after changing the connection.
    Thanks Stokolan

Advertisement