Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two questions: probably the wrong place....

Options
  • 05-05-2007 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

Been on boards for a little while now. Just had two questions (and no reading into anything here) that I wonder if anybody can answer for me.
    First of all, how does one become a moderator? I wouldn't really want to be one, I'd just like to know how it happens.
    Secondly, I've noticed on the banlist that there's a lot of people who were rebanned for creating a second or third account. How can you tell when this happens?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

1st. You either become noticed for your actions on a forum, or indeed suggest a forum to become a moderator of it. You may also get suggested by another mod to an admin to ask if you would like to be a mod of a forum you help out alot in.

Needless to say, being a moderator of a forum is not an easy job. Especially if it's busy

2nd. It's usually very obvious when an account has re-registered and is mostly due to get around a forum ban.

Our best example I can give is the user satworld, who over the past few months has registered quite a number of accounts to get around a ban for trading.2

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Selphie wrote:
    Been on boards for a little while now. Just had two questions (and no reading into anything here) that I wonder if anybody can answer for me.
    First of all, how does one become a moderator? I wouldn't really want to be one, I'd just like to know how it happens.
    Secondly, I've noticed on the banlist that there's a lot of people who were rebanned for creating a second or third account. How can you tell when this happens?
    #to become a moderator, who knows?
    there is no set criteria. its right place right time stuff.

as for the banlist, well, we can check several things to see if someone has registered different accounts. its the internet. it takes very little time as well. and it takes less time to ban someone than ittakes for them to sign up.
    a lot less time actually. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The requirements to become a moderator are difference for everyone. I'd be an Smod (perhaps even pope) by now if only i could stop with the trolling...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Selphie wrote:
    First of all, how does one become a moderator?
    You've got to sleep with a lot of guys... A LOT of guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭depadz

surely you cannot say for sure if someone had re-registered, no?

if they use a proxy, & a new email address, unless you contact the proxy owner how can you find out?

also, eg in a house share, same ip will obv come up fo rmultiple connections. a new email address will do the job?

just curious as is the op..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

fwedrest wrote:

if they use a proxy, & a new email address, unless you contact the proxy owner how can you find out?

also, eg in a house share, same ip will obv come up fo rmultiple connections. a new email address will do the job?

Well if someone is using an annoy proxy, it stands out. Also theres an element of deduction involved. Your posting style is like a finger print, its hard to change. I regularly spot people with multiple accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Plus a lot of the time the idiots that get banned will reregister with "username2" or something related to their first username, as a retarded fuck you to the people who banned them.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Some accounts are quite easy to recognise after they are opened to circumvent a ban.

I had a user a few months back who always signed "Andy" at the end of each post. Anyway I banned him for something or other and within a few hours a "new" user appeared with the name - "just banned" and signed "Andy" at the end of each post.

dumb or what :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

fwedrest wrote:
    Most of the time you can. There are a number of telltale signs. As others point out, posting style is a biggie. They also have a tendency to return to the thread/forum where they got banned and continue the argument. Often they will use an obvious alias, such as MuppetUser2.
    Stormfront or otherwise racist posters, as an example, usually stick a "77" at the end of their username. I don't remember what the relevance is, but it makes them stick out like a sore thumb.
    As above, email addresses can give a lot away about who the poster used to be. Proxies are kind of a shot in the foot. People who had nothing to hide, wouldn't use a proxy. I will always be more suspicious of a user using a proxy.
    Single homes and businesses have been banned in the past for the action of a minority of their users. In fact, all of Cork was banned at one point. The reasoning behind this is that if one person ruins it for the whole house, then it's up to the house to tell them to cop on, not up to boards.ie to keep trying to separate the real accounts from the troll ones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

seamus wrote:
    In fact, all of Cork was banned at one point.

When did that actually happen, and how long was it for?
    You've got to sleep with a lot of guys... A LOT of guys!

This is true... It's all part of the application process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Can I be on the "list of guys" ?

I'll be good ... I promise! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Can I be on the "list of guys" ?

I'll be good ... I promise! :cool:
    OK, you get to sleep with all the male wannabe mods then! :D

Not your ornery onager

That wasn't what I meant!!

:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

That wasn't what I meant!!

:(:(:(:(:(

randy (nice 'handle' btw ;);)), you can expect a load of PMs from aspirants anyway. Make plenty of space in your 'malebox'. :eek:

Not your ornery onager

Oh well ... according to DeV's stats, around 17% of them should be female, so ... :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

1. ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiippp...*

2. Its a lot easier then you might think. We dont actively hunt them unless they come back to our attention.... most unfortunately do. :(

DeV.

*Oh come on DeV... just, no!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

fwedrest wrote:

The thing is if they do do all of that, they still have to fly under the radar and post in a way that wont get them banned.

If they manage to post reasonably too, then you have to ask yourself who has actually come out the victor? They've essentially been forced to post and act in a way that the admins wanted them to in the first place.
    seamus wrote:
    Stormfront or otherwise racist posters, as an example, usually stick a "77" at the end of their username. I don't remember what the relevance is, but it makes them stick out like a sore thumb.
    [completely_useless_fact_of_the_day]

I actually had a look into that to find out what it was. Its actually '88' they use as the letter H is the 8th letter of the alphabet, thus HH is Heil Hitler. The other one they use is '18' which is AH and is (obviously) Adolf Hitler.

[/completely_useless_fact_of_the_day]

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

8 is also as high as you can count on both hands while having your fingers in your ears.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ted dancing

DeVore wrote:
    8 is also as high as you can count on both hands while having your fingers in your ears.

DeV.
    lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

DeVore wrote:
    What if you count in binary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Victor wrote:
    What if you count in binary?
    Then you would only have three fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

seamus wrote:
    Then you would only have three fingers.
    Surely it would be 11?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Victor wrote:
    Surely it would be 11?

Same thing, Victor. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

10 types of people in this world, those that agree with victor and those that agree with seamus.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

seamus wrote:
    . In fact, all of Cork was banned at one point.

As faith asked, when and why did this happen?

Advertisement