Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holographic universe

• 05-05-2007 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd see what you all thought of this subject which I stumbled upon while browsing around the web, and which I thought could possibly tie-in with aspects of Lost.
    Lost lately has been throwing out ideas that (to me at least) seem diificult to reconcile with science in the usual way that I think of scientific explanation.
    I know the people behind Lost have said it is based on science, but so much of Lost seems like sci-fi, for example smokey the "monster" (and its abilities), or the special place in which the people of whom you were thinking can mysteriously appear, or a man who has deja-vu of events which apparently have not yet occurred, or why some people are miraculously cured by the "island" but it "let" Ben develop cancer... and so on.
    Then I came across this and wondered if perhaps it the Dharma initiative had researched into this area, as it sounds like it could cover some things that would otherwise seem inexplicable.
    http://www.earthportals.com/hologram.html
    Wikipedia seems to contain articles on these theories and on the people involved as well.
    Holographic principle
    Holographic paradigm
    David Bohm
    Karl Pribam
    Alain Aspect

Now I'm no scientist, and the more complex physics and math formulae go over my head, but does anyone else reckon this stuff may be at least part of the scientific inspiration for Lost?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I will take some time to read all this, sounds interesting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

logik wrote:
    I will take some time to read all this, sounds interesting though.
    Yeah, sorry the main article I linked is a bit of a long read but I found it very interesting that such an idea is considered scientifically possible.
    The Wikipedia links are just really for verification that the people, theories and experiment referred to on the first page are real, as I said some of the Wikipedia pages get into stuff that is too advanced for me to judge.
    Actually what made me think of Lost initially was this paragraph:
    In addition to its phantomlike nature, such a universe would possess other rather startling features. If the apparent separateness of subatomic particles is illusory, it means that at a deeper level of reality all things in the universe are infinitely interconnected. The electrons in a carbon atom in the human brain are connected to the subatomic particles that comprise every salmon that swims, every heart that beats, and every star that shimmers in the sky. Everything interpenetrates everything, and although human nature may seek to categorize and pigeonhole and subdivide, the various phenomena of the universe, all apportionments are of necessity artificial and all of nature is ultimately a seamless web.
    Everything being interconnected, that sounds a bit like the lives of our Lost characters. Maybe it's a hint towards the science behind the Dharma initiative?
    If Dharma's efforts involved experimenting with and maybe even altering reality itself, it could explain how some of the more bizarre things in Lost can occur. Might also give a purpose to the magnetic field surrounding the "island".
    Anyway just thought that as a scientific theory it could work for Lost and that perhaps other Lost fans might find it interesting.

I have only read about half of all this and so far it looks real good. Very interesting. Will post back again once i am done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

good find!
    nearly finished it all, suprisingly a very god read.At first i was like WTF but as i read on it really started to make sense and match up, it would explain everything on the island.

I am actually still reading it, not much past halfway yet, not got the time in work. There is so so much to this :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement