Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkeys

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Glowing wrote: »
    The OP certainly hasn't done his research - he wants a pet 'monkey' - want to narrow that down a little?

That's exactly why I don't think the OP should get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

i did work experience in a kennells as a kid and the owner had a monkey that hated springer spaniels. he was ok with all other breeds except them. it was like a baboon. dont ask me how/where he got him. but he had to be kept on a chain because he could be dangerous. i dont think the kennel owner got himas a pet i think he was dumped on him. dont think a monkey would make a good pet from what i've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

whitser wrote: »
    i did work experience in a kennells as a kid and the owner had a monkey that hated springer spaniels. he was ok with all other breeds except them. it was like a baboon. dont ask me how/where he got him. but he had to be kept on a chain because he could be dangerous. i dont think the kennel owner got himas a pet i think he was dumped on him. dont think a monkey would make a good pet from what i've seen.

Definitely not. I have multiple monkey bites. Even the quiet ones get a kick out of running at you, biting your leg and running off again, great game!

I hope we don't get like America where a lot of people keep them as pets and treat them like humans. They're still animals....and women who can't/don't have children dressing them up in baby clothes etc....it's just wrong. Not saying that having them locked up in a Zoo is right either but that's another argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Just to echo what someone else mentioned. People forget that monkeys are sociable animals they cannot be kept alone they live as a family group in the wild or bachelor groups sometimes, depends on the monkey or ape.

Just been to a zoo in Italy that has recently had an over haul a few years ago it was one of those really depressing places but has switched and now has new enclosures and concentrates on educating the public. They have a whole seperate education section on the smuggling of reptile skins, ivory, birds etc. with short film etc. Live Birds being stuffed into what looked like postal tubes and a croc kept in an apartment they had to rescue ..pet trade sheesh they now have him in an enclosure and he's huge and no doubt not fully grown yet.

Monkey World in Dorset and Wicklow monkey sanctuary have monkeys rescued from the pet trade because people can't cope. People would be better off donating to them or sponsering a monkey or ape instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Admit it! The only reason you really want a Monkey is because of this :

SIMC1192.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I had a monkey when I was young. He wore blue dungarees.

I got sick on him one night so my mam had to boil wash him. He was never tha same again. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

I had a monkey when I was young. He wore blue dungarees.

I got sick on him one night so my mam had to boil wash him. He was never tha same again. :(
    she obviously didnt tumble dry him ... make him nice and fluffy:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Orla Talty

Haddockman wrote: »
    I imported my marmosets from a breeder I have known for 2 years this March - since then I have heard of 2 pet shops who keep monkeys (not sure of the exact species)
    !

Where were the shops who kept them do you know?:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

AS this thread is over 2 years old - I am locking this.

If you wish to start a new thread on monkeys & primates please go ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement