Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shin Splints

• 05-05-2007 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭

Anyone got any advice on shin splints, or how to get rid of them? Oddly only effects my right leg. I've been told the onlt thing is rest. I've only started some decent length walks and progressed on to short jogs and its really at me. Purchased a pair of Asics GT 2120 but can't see much improvement. Using also some Bio Freeze, it helps but when I walk or job there back

Thanks 1916

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Try really good stretching before you run. Your runners won't help unless they're matched to your type of foot/running style. When i got them before i stopped running for a while and iced my shins every evening for about 20mins-half an hour and kept them elevated.

Whenever i get a twinge i ice them when i get home from running. Also running on grass TOTALLY eliminated them, but that limits me to running in circles on a flat gaa pitch, so i do have to run on concrete for hills and variation. The concrete really does wreck my legs though.

Try the ice and stretching before and after running. See how that goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭1916

Thanks for that. Are there any particular types of stretching I should be doing? I assume the lower leg / ankle, or maybe its the whole leg. If there are any web sites you know that could show me the correct ones. I did some stretching before the jog today, but to be honest I didn't know what I was really doing. I jog on the UCD track so I assume its somewhere between the hardness of concrete and grass

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

D'oh, I shouldn't be allowed near computers. Thanks Krusty.

edit for lousy typo:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You should, otherwise I'd never have read the thread and found those useful shin splints exercises.. :)

Cheers,
    C(K)rusty ;)

Advertisement