Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capcom : The best distributor / third party game maker out there?

Options
  • 05-05-2007 4:29pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just thinking this over, and really Capcom have proven to be the finest game company out there over the last few years. Just take a look at all the fine games that have been released by them over the last few years: Resident Evil series, Devil May Cry 1 / 3, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Phoenix Wright, the GBA Zelda games (in particular, Minish Cap), Gregory Horror Show - to name just a few. Theyve beem taking a while to get into the next gen, but Dead Rising is one of the most ambitious and technically impressive games to be released on the 360 thus far (even if it is extremely flawed). Few other companies - Nintendo even? - are as experimental and critically acclaimed.

IMO Capcom on the whole do not get enough praise. Sure individual games are worshipped, but as far as gaming companies go, Capcom currently rank in the upper echelons. So kudos to them for being of such consistently high quality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Now where the hell is my Street Fighter IV goddamnit?!?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have a lot of time for Capcom, an awful lot of time. I love they way they let their producers away with creating some really off the wall games. There isn't a developement studio out there that would risk developing a game like Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7. They really let them run riot. Even though the results aren't always successful (PN03 and under the skin spring to mind) more often than not it works out for them and we get amazing genre defining games like Street Fighter 2, Okami and Resi 4. Konami give their developers a lot of freedom but only the big name ones like Kojima and even then he usually gets shoehorned into doing a sequel as payment. He always said he never wanted to do MGS4.

I also respect the fact that they are one of the only games developers apart from maybe treasure that isn't afraid to make games that are rock hard. I really miss the challenge of the old 16-bit games and stuff like DMC3 and viewtiful joe are really refreshing to play. However they did slip up with Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins recently which was more frustration than challenge thanks to annoying respawning flying bastards in every level.

I think a big part of their success is the fantastic games developement school they run which gives them a great pick of young developer talent.

I think even the mighty nintendo are slipping a bit but mostly their bad games are developed by an outside dev team. Miyamoto and the Intelligent Systems team are still pumping out the classics.

It's great to see that after quite a substantial drop in profits Capcom found their feet again with the huge success of the Onimusha games, Resi 4 and DMC3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Absolutely, I'm a big Capcom fangirl, there are always a few devs/game companies on people's lists that deliver, whose games they look forward to. Sure they miss the mark a bit the odd time, but more often than not, their games are just fantastic. A lot of my favourite games of recent years, and of all time really, are Capcom games, so I've got a lot of love for those guys.

I can't wait for the next Shinji Mikami / Goichi Suda collaboration, suppose that's a while off yet seeing as Suda51 is doing No More Heroes first, then working with Kojima.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

They're one of the only major publishers that not only consistently produces top-class big-budget titles like Resident Evil 4, but also pumps out lots of niche titles. They're not always entirely successful, but you have to commend them for trying.

Their output over the last generation has been better than anybody's, including the likes of Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

^Killer 7 being a great example of that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement