Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 05-05-2007 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question.

If a course is 400 points and you get 350 but the course isnt filled what happens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Don't the points continue going down in the different rounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

That doesnt make sense.

The points given for a certain course are the points that the last person on that course got.

eg.
    If a course has 50 places. The top 50 candidates are accepted. The last person has 350 points. Therefore everybody with 350+ points is accepted.

The points may reduce if candidates dont accept course and offers are than made to people with next highest points....345 etc.

Hope that clears it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

My understanding is....

The points for a course are set by the people who take the places. e.g. if a course has 100 places, and the 100th person (ie the person with the lowest points score to be offered a place) will be the point setter. This happens in the first round offers. If, by any chance, anyone rejects a place of differs it for a year, then new places become available. They go to the next people with the highest points scored.
    Realistically if you got 350 points, but the lowest person got 400, the chances of you getting a place in 2nd round offers are slim-none due to the huge points difference.

Please correct me if im wrong.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

you all have the right idea but you're forgetting that as well as the traditional first past the post system, the colleges are also allowed to set their own requirements.

For example, let's take Computer Applications in DCU. To my knowledge, the places in this course haven't been filled in a few years (i.e., there's 150 places and there was only 100 applicants). But the points remain at 300 because the college doesn't accept anyone below that (normally because they feel that anyone with lower points than that would struggle and drop out of the course anyway).

To the original poster, if the places aren't filled and the points are 400 (this seems highly unlikely, I've never heard of any course having such a high requirement personally) then no, you cannot get in with 350. However, if all places are offered (subtle difference between offered and filled) and the last offer was to 400 then yes, assuming a certain number of offer rejections, it is possible, though unlikely, that you could get in with 350.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

well as cocoa said apart from the colleges or course requirements there should be no reason why you shouldn't get that course. Requirments such as higher maths for engineering, a foreign language in the NUI's etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement