Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the benefits of a higher spec group set?

Options
  • 05-05-2007 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

I'm currently keeping an eye out for a second hand road/race bike and I'm wondering what difference a higher spec group set makes.

I currently ride a cheap <cough>Halfords</cough> hybrid which I actually rather like, but the bike is beginning to hold me back too much, particularly when climbing (bare weight is 13KG).

My hybrid has a Shimano Tourney rear derailer, no doubt bottom of the range stuff. But its working quite nicely, using a bit of mechanical sympathy I can change up or down gears whilst climbing when I'm standing on the pedals with no protest from the mechanism. Using the front shifter requires a bit more care, but thats normal afaik.

I gather that a Shimano Ultegra group set is highly regarded, people generally seem averse to mid-range Shimano gear like the 105. This left me wondering what the benefits are of a high end group set, and if I should look for a bike that has that.

I'd also like to know if the shifters on a modern road/race bike can be comfortably operated when standing on the pedals. I can do that effortlessly with the grip shifters on my hybrid, but I'm not familiar with the gear shifters found on newer road/race bikes (my last road/race bike had friction shifters on the frame). Are the shifters on modern road/race bikes indexed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Main benefits are weight and clean, sharper shifting. Yes, they're indexed, and can be easily shifted when standing.

I intended to get 105 but the reason I chose Ultegra over 105 was price - Ultegra was only 80 quid more expensive, it'd have been crazy not to go for it.

From Dura-Ace vs Ultegra vs 105: A Comparison (BeginnerTriathlete.com):
    Ultegra vs. 105
    The major differences between 105's and Ultegra are weight and the 105 is available in a 52-tooth large chain ring rather than a 53-tooth.

Weight: The weight difference is 230 g or 8 ounces with the Ultegra being lighter. The major weight difference is in the crankset. The other components are very close weight-wise.

Performance: According to most mechanics, the Ultegra will probably wear a little better and will probably be a little more durable. That's something to consider for triathletes as many are not 130 lb. road racers.

Price: As for price, there's a noticeable difference when you are purchasing aftermarket. As a complete bike, it probably won't be more than an extra $150 between a 105 and Ultegra tri bike. Go for the Ultegra, save a 1/2 lb. It will also increase your bike's resale value and make it easier to sell when you want that next cooler bike.
    Summary

All three of these groups will perform solidly. All three are 10 speed. In fact, due to Shimano's trickle down technology, the 105 of today is better than the Dura Ace of 10 yrs ago.

Why 105 and not Sora or Tiagra? A few reasons are Dura-Ace trickle down technology, construction (plastic steel plate), weight (heavy), durability (lack of compared to 105), 8 speed (not 10 speed).

You can't tell from a ride around the parking lot. 105 components will let you ride more efficiently once you learn to use the added gears. The weight savings, added power transfer from the 2-piece crankset and increased durability will make you happier in the long run.

Personally I'd tend to let my budget dictate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I've ultegra on one bike and dure-ace on my other. About a month ago I was cycling a mates bike (with 105) sround the lake district and could really notice the difference. The changes weren't as smooth when ploughing up hills. If you can afford ultegra I would go for it but you may have other priorities and there is nothing wrong with 105.

Oh and although they are dominant, shimano are not the only manufacturers.

shimano v campagnolo

have you gotten to the look's versus spd's debate yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

My Ultegra 10 speed STI has just worn out after only 7000km. I'm pretty annoyed as the bike shop want €250 for a new pair of levers (they only come in pairs). Up until now, they were pretty good, but I might look at campag now

mucco, so far so good for me but you are not alone. A big mileage mate in Scotland changed because she felt camp. were better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Im considering putting The shimano Ultegra Group set on my trek 1000 which currently is and 8 speed.

Would i need to change my wheels so that the rear cassete is compatible with 10 speed??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

E@gle. wrote:
    Im considering putting The shimano Ultegra Group set on my trek 1000 which currently is and 8 speed.

Would i need to change my wheels so that the rear cassete is compatible with 10 speed??
    sheldon brown says:
    Note: Shimano 8- and 9- and 10-speed cassettes/hubs are fully interchangeable for wheels with steel Freehub bodies.
    The only parts that are different in any important way between the 8- and 9- and 10-speed systems are the shift control levers.

The 2004 Dura-Ace hub has an aluminum Freehub body, so it only works with 10 speed cassettes.

The 2005 Ultegra WH-R600 complete wheels also use an aluminum body, 10-speed only. (Standard Ultegra hubs have steel Freehub bodies.)

Dura-Ace 10 cassettes have titanium sprockets from 18 teeth and larger.

Only hubs/freewheels made for 7 speed cassettes are incompatible with 8/9/10, and high end hubs mentioned above that only work on 10 (not a concern for you). You shouldn't need to change your wheels. (Though if you are riding a stock Trek 1000, upgrading the wheels will make a greater difference ... provided your gears are functioning and not in dire need of replacement).

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Got any recommendations on wheels around the €200 -€350 mark

E250ish would get you something like Mavic Open Pro rims and DT Swiss spokes, with hub of your choice. I got them built with Ultegra hubs to go with the rest of the groupset but 105 or even some MTB hubs would do fine, particularly if you intend on touring. Watch out for cassette compatibility when you're chosing the hubs.

btw looking at my records I have an error in my first reply - Ultegra10 was only 40 euro more than 105 (9spd) so it would have been plain stupid not to take that choice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Membrane- if you are starting off I wouldn't put it too high on your priority list. I get a general impression that once you get to 105 the main benefits above that are weight rather than performance related. My new road bike (Ultegra 10 with 105 shifters) does shift better than my tourer (9sp 105) but the tourer is also six years old with tens of thousands km on original crankset and cassette, while the road bike is new. I think this probably has more to do with it. I had a Trek 1000 with Sora a few years back and was perfectly happy with the shifting on that. But as Trojan says, if you can get the better one for only a few extra quid, go for it.

Advertisement