Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Evanescence Implode

• 05-05-2007 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭

From http://www.dailynews.com/entertainment/ci_5820737
    Rock act Evanescence on the rocks
    BY GERRY GITTELSON, Staff Writer
    Article Last Updated: 05/04/2007 07:04:54 PM PDT

Evanescence guitarist John LeCompt said Friday he's been fired from the band, and he also said drummer Rocky Gray has quit, so things aren't looking good for the multi-platinum, two-time Grammy winning alternative rock act, one of the biggest bands in the world -- but apparantly shrinking by the second.

"I'm done, and I'm pretty upset about it," LeCompt said, calling from Little Rock, Ark., the band's home town. "(Singer) Amy Lee called and fired me today. There's absolutely no loyalty in this band."

Evanescence, touring in support of its second major release "The Open Door," is on a short break after returning from South Africa. The group has two dates scheduled later this month before plans to tour Europe, beginning in Paris on May 25.

A phone message to the press office at Wind-Up Records in New York seeking comment was not immediately returned.

LeCompt, 34, said he and Gray, 32, plan to pour all their energy into a new band, Machina, managed by Chris Long (Crossfade). Gray wasn't available for comment.

"Machina is an incredible band -- it's rock and roll," LeCompt said.

Evanescence's first major release, "Fallen," featuring the hits "Bring Me to Life" and "My Immortal," has sold 14 millions copies worldwide, 6.6 million in the United States. It's one of eight albums in Billboard history to spend at least one year in the top 50. In 2004, the band won Grammys for Best Hard Rock Performance and Best New Artist.

The followup, "Open Door," was released in October, selling nearly 500,000 copies in the United States in its first week and debuting at No. 1 on Billboard. It's sold about four million worldwide.

This is not the first time Evanescence has had personnel problems. In 2003, guitarist and co-founder Ben Moody quit while the band was touring in Europe, replaced by Terry Balasamo from Cold. Last July, bassist Will Boyd quit, replaced by Tim McCord from Revolution Smile.

John Le Compt left this message on his myspace page earlier http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=103039104&blogID=261191052&MyToken=f99cfacd-9ccd-4a50-bd9e-dbf8c60d06ed
    Hey everyone,

I've been getting your messages all morning and figured I would give a little personal insight to this situation. Around 3:30 pm yesterday I recieved a call on my cell from Amy. This call wasn't from a friend who appreciated me but from an enemy who was prepared to hurt me and my family. Without any warning or negotiotiations for my future, I was fired for no good reason. We have not always seen eye to eye on everything, but who does? Our common goal was always the same. To make Evanescence the best rock band it could ever be. I have always given blood, sweat and tears to make that happen but apparently that is not enough. I have now become just another of the people fallen by the wayside on the revolving door of her life. It's funny how many of us there are now. I guess it's good for lyrical content, though. Maybe I will be among the blessed to have a song written about me, too. Maybe the song will be "Call Me When You're Broke". Whatever, as of next week my band Machina will be doing major label showcases in New York. There is a big buzz for it and we hope it will go well. I'm not going to sit here and be negative because that is not who I am. What I will say it that I know that many of you think she is some genuis or saviour of some kind. I just want you to know that my family and I will forever remember her as being about as deep as the shallow end of a child's wading pool and her lyrics about as deep as the 2 dimensional surface that they were written on. Singing beautifully for the duration of a record or two can move the spirit of the people listening, but the way you treat those around you who you are supposed to care about speaks volumes more than that and I would hope that some of you are listening. Well, that's it. I hope that sheds some light on the current situation for you. Thank you all for the good years and being the most incredible fans and friends. Maybe I will see you again. I am going to play with my little boy now, peace.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I cant see many wanting to be hired hands when the lead singer has a reputation for being as power hungry as Hitler.

I suppose, but they wont have job security. Its all very Guns n roses-esque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It'll be a handy opportunity to taste success that, in all honesty, 99.999% of musicians will never get anywhere near. There'll be a long, long queue of punters trying to get that gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I'm waiting to hear her side of the story before I make any rash judgements. You don't kick someone out of your band over spilled milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Stolen spagetti is the threshold I believe :D

• Advertisement

from http://www.myspace.com/rockygray
    Date: May 5, 2007 4:38 PM
    Subject: ROCKY GRAY LEAVES EVANESCENCE
    Body:

ROCKY GRAY LEAVES EVANESCENCE
    Soul Embraced, Machina, Other Projects Coming Soon

Rocky Gray, longtime drummer for multi-platinum rockers Evanescence, has quit the band.

Best known prior to Evanescence as the guitar player for seminal Christian metal bands Living Sacrifice (a band whose members went on to join P.O.D., Norma Jean and more) and Soul Embraced, Rocky joined Evanescence shortly after the recording of their debut album, Fallen. The album featured a reworked version of a Soul Embraced song written by Rocky, "Tourniquet," and sold over 12 million copies worldwide.

Rocky is the third band member to leave Evanescence since the recording of their second album, The Open Door. Unfortunately, at this time, Gray doesn't have anything to say about his departure from the group.

"Amy Lee's management emailed me last night to tell me that, in their view, the contract I signed to record, perform and tour with the group says that I'm not allowed to have any free speech in regard to Evanescence," Gray said from his home in Arkansas. "The way they spin it, I'm not even allowed to say I quit the group, I guess. But the news is out there, so, there ya' go. I need to have a lawyer read over all that mess to tell me what, when and how I can tell you all -- the REAL FANS -- what really went down, if I ever can, haha."

In the meantime, there is plenty to report about Rocky that does not involve Evanescence.

Originally formed ten years ago, the newly reinvigorated Soul Embraced (which reunites Gray with Living Sacrifice drummer Lance Garvin) has a wealth of new material. The band is finalizing a new recording agreement to release their next album. New songs include "Kill This," which is on their MySpace now.

In addition to Soul Embraced, Rocky will continue playing with Machina alongside former Evanescence guitarist John LeCompt. And there are a couple more projects which will be announced soon.

"Ya'll ain't ever heard the last from me until the good Lord decides to take me home," Rocky cracked with his down-home Southern drawl. "Peace to all of the fans who support me and everyone who knows the real deal. And of course to my wife, kids, John, Ben, Will, everybody who's real. See ya'll on the road soon!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Meh, the open door was poor anyway, the only good thing about it was the acoustic version of lithium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

best news I've heard all day:)i hate them so much,her voice wrecks my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

evanescence, bon jovi hmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

meh, thought their debut album was listenable to a few times but ultimately its just pop, lacking heart big time to be honest, won't be crying over this for sure, and i second what doctor j says, there will be a huge queue, as most guitarast aspire to suceed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

What did he get the boot for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Dont see what the fuss is about, Crap band IMHO. Hopefully now we will hear no more of Lee's cat like wail..................they are/were so middle of the road it was scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

#Elites wrote:
    hasnt said yet

STATEMENT FROM AMY LEE
    Evanescence is alive and well. John and Rocky were in Evanescence for four years and we shared some great times together playing live, but they were ready to move on and so we have parted ways. Evanescence is something I have loved and nurtured since I was fourteen, and I will continue to protect and fight for it as I always have. Terry, Tim and I are very excited to play live with some amazing new musicians and we will rock harder than ever. Stay tuned for more news on that front. And don't worry about the tour, guys. Nothing will be cancelled and we will see you soon!

In short ... John? Rocky? We never had any musicians by those names .. But look, here's Timmy and Jimmy. They've been in the band for, like, foreva, y'know like ... *whistle*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

faceman wrote:
    What did he get the boot for?
    He probably looked at her crooked.

I've heard stuff before about her being a bit of a control freak and politics within the band.
    She'll realise that the lineup changes and glorified session musicians will only hurt the music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

By the sounds of it I think the whole thing has been a result of record companies having a huge amount of control over the band. What that guy was saying about lyrics being shallow and 2 dimensional makes me think he's complaining about the amount of musical alterations that go on outside of the bands control. But who knows...?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well, amy sounds like a bitch. We'll see though. Their new album is terrible, i'm not too pushed.

Well the lyrics of the last album were totally 2 dimensional. Its the same crap in almost every song. John LeCompt doesnt seem as bitter now, as he removed his previous entry on Myspace and now says he's focusing on Machina (his new band with Rocky).

Advertisement