Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liz O Donnell's Posters

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Dandesav wrote:
    Yeah I live in Dublin South- I actually thought it was a portrait for a few days until I looked more closely! Olivia Mitchell's have obviously been done too, but they mangaged to avoid making her look like a cartoon :D
    My missus reckoned that Liz looked like something out of the Simpsons. Given her propensity to trade on her looks, she really should fire whoever did this picture which ruins her best asset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Jon wrote:
    same with Mags Murrays posters in DW. She looks like an advert for Ryanair!

She looks awful!! Her lipstick is all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

boredom + photoshop @ 4:30am =
    mehtf5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

Stephen wrote:
    480324553_011a310bb8.jpg

I think Enda should fire whoever photoshopped that. He looks like a waxwork.

It's the eyebrows, I think. They make him look like an alien :eek: It'd be a decent enough poster if they'd just left the eyebrows alone - though it still wouldn't actually look very much like the man himself ;)

They're all at it this time out for some mad reason. Them ones of Bertie cut-n-pasted into groups of young ones and auld codgers just look blatantly fake. And he looks downright creepy in the "Bertie's Team" posters. Like he's practising mass hypnosis on the nation with those eyes. Very Rasputin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just out of cuuriosity, is anyone else reminded of the Father Ted character Henry Sellers ("I made the BBC") when they see the pic of FF Dublin West candidate Luke Moriarty?
    top.jpg
    (can't find any pics of Mr. Sellers)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Can anyone stick up a photo of John Bracken's poster - he's an independent running in Offaly, see here. Anyway his picture is supposed to be hilarious with his 'big hair', seemingly his poster is being taken down and put in the local pubs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

dajaffa wrote:
    That and plenty more on

Wonderful - and I love the Robin Hood one too - but I can't get any more images on the site given. How do you navigate it, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

luckat wrote:
    Wonderful - and I love the Robin Hood one too - but I can't get any more images on the site given. How do you navigate it, please?

Sorry wrong links...

http://www.blather.net/snackboxdiaries/archives/2007/04/forwards_not_backwards.html#more

http://www.blather.net/snackboxdiaries/archives/2006/05/promises_promises_1.html#more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

ballooba wrote:
    Bertie on the other hand looks tired, and the thing they did with his eyes looks weird.

Reminds me of Cartman on South Park. Wespect ma authoritay! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

I think the Liz posters are intentionally over-saturated to make them recognizable at a quick glance from a speeding car or from faraway. Only pedestrians, who'll probably vote green anyway, get to see the posters up close and have time to absorb the slightly freaky drag-queen quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

InFront wrote:
    I wonder if all the election posters in a constituency even swing a single vote?

And yes Liz is pretty revamped in her posters, but I really don't know why she bothers... or any of them for that matter.

If they all agreed not to do it theres too much of an advantage in one person doing it, so it would inevitably happen that everyone does it. All postering does is gets someones face and name into your mind, but thats the sort of thing that can sway people.

I wonder if there'd be a noticeable difference if nobody put posters up. If everybody got the same bonus from putting them up, then there would be no point in doing it as everyone would have to do it to be on the same standings and its just a bigger cost to all the candidates (plus it always looks a mess after the elections when the posters start melting). That said I doubt there's much difference, if someone is swayed to vote for Olivia Mitchell cos she's attractive then I'm sure someone else will find Robin Ho--, eh, Enda Kenny a handsome fellow.

yevveh wrote:
    If they all agreed not to do it theres too much of an advantage in one person doing it, so it would inevitably happen that everyone does it. All postering does is gets someones face and name into your mind, but thats the sort of thing that can sway people.

I wonder if there'd be a noticeable difference if nobody put posters up. If everybody got the same bonus from putting them up, then there would be no point in doing it as everyone would have to do it to be on the same standings and its just a bigger cost to all the candidates (plus it always looks a mess after the elections when the posters start melting). That said I doubt there's much difference, if someone is swayed to vote for Olivia Mitchell cos she's attractive then I'm sure someone else will find Robin Ho--, eh, Enda Kenny a handsome fellow.
    You're assuming that everyone is starting from an equal position. New candidates may well be relatively unknown, and need to face recognition, particularly now that their picture appears on the ballot paper. If nobody put posters up, incumbent candidates would have a distinct advantage over new candidates.

Poster advertising does work - Why else would all kinds of consumer businesses spend vast amounts of money all year round on poster advertising.

Obni wrote:
    Only pedestrians, who'll probably vote green anyway
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

RainyDay wrote:
    You're assuming that everyone is starting from an equal position. New candidates may well be relatively unknown, and need to face recognition, particularly now that their picture appears on the ballot paper. If nobody put posters up, incumbent candidates would have a distinct advantage over new candidates.

Poster advertising does work - Why else would all kinds of consumer businesses spend vast amounts of money all year round on poster advertising.

If they did have that advantage, it wouldn't be from postering, which is what I was trying to argue. If it's the case that incumbent candidates have an advantage of being already known and if only new candidates put up posters, then do you think the playing field would be even? Once the public is aware of a candidate (ie they've run before and seen their name on a ballot paper or in the newspaper) do they get an extra advantage by postering? if they do, then is their advantage the "same" (its not exactly easy to measure) as the new candidates - if it is, then it would be the same if everybody had their posters up or nobody did, or rather the difference between the 'new' and 'old' candidates would be the same.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm just saying if it provides the same advantage to everyone (seeing as the 'product' is the same, that is everybody has their face, name, party and vote no. 1 or whatever up on the poster) then is there an individual advantage to someone by postering, or is it just an extra cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

My favourite so far is the independent, a doctor, showing her with a teddy bear with its ear bandaged. Definitely getting my vote.

Photoshoppers: what about our Rotty? Dog-lovers want to see Can-do Mac-Doo done.

Has anyone seen Mary Harney's posters? They have to be the most unflattering posters I've ever seen! Her fact takes up 3/4 of it and she does a great Cartman impression!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Jon wrote:
    same with Mags Murrays posters in DW. She looks like an advert for Ryanair!

Don't throw it all away.

493706826_625240c9d0.jpg

493728815_0f7cc7e9cb_m.jpg

She looks like she let a toddler do her lipstick!!

athtrasna wrote:
    Has anyone seen Mary Harney's posters? They have to be the most unflattering posters I've ever seen! Her fact takes up 3/4 of it
    Was the bolded 'c' above a typo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Olivia Mitchel's posters look way more 'doctored' than Liz O'Donnell's.

I just saw Olivia on campaign daily now. She looks nothing like her posters. I didnt know it was her on the programme until she was named:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

athtrasna wrote:
    Has anyone seen Mary Harney's posters? They have to be the most unflattering posters I've ever seen! Her fact takes up 3/4 of it and she does a great Cartman impression!!

Mary Harney: Respect my authority:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

The photoshop brigade missed some Laois/Offaly candidates, see attached!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Damn - nearly dropped my coffee. Please don't scare me with pictures like that!!!

Darwin wrote:
    The photoshop brigade missed some Laois/Offaly candidates, see attached!
    is the GP candidate a man or a woman? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I actuall think Liz still looks quite hot, doctored or no doctored pictures, but what happened to poor old Deirdre De'Burca of the Green Party? her posters make her look like some hideous cross between Brian May of Queen and a Waxwork :D

Sorry ~ that was mean, but her posters really do look odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Liz O'Donnell's poster is a case of photoshop gone wrong. Her lips are like two bulging blood sausages ready to burst while her face has been airbrushed beyond all recognition.

Little Miss Gin and Tonic has always played up to her looks anyway - check out her out at http://www.rte.ie/2fm/colmandjimjim/politicians_f.html.

Those Laois/Offaly candidates make Brian Cowen look positively handsome.

That Green Party lady has clearly just dragged herself out of her tree hugging commune while that mop top bloke has to be an extra from D'Unbelievables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is the GP candidate a man or a woman?
    A Woman i think.

As a LS/OY voter I won't be voting for the 2 misfits pictured above.

Advertisement